This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Trucks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Trucks
    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:24am
Went to OK to see about a trade on a project truck, was a Eventful trip.  Had intentions to procure a 1963 Autocar DC87 single axle truck that needed some reassembly.  Well long story short but still too long the parts to reassemble did NOT exist at the current owner's shop.  Found the original owner he has Loads of stuff but in storage and may be awhile before recovered.  So sight UNseen decided was not to happen.  The current owner Also had a Dead KW W900L tandem with a flat top 54" sleeper unit, needs a TON of repairs but pretty well intact.  2005, C15 Cat engine with a Bad head and considerable miles.  Been sitting quite awhile so has also developed the tired from sitting rotted rubber parts, has eight bag air ride and all eight are rot cracked/ripped, some suspension bushings are done and will need tires.

We agreed to make a trade to it as he had intended to strip it out and peddle salvage the entire truck anyway.  My next project will be a few weeks in the offing while I complete a few tasks to empty the Shop.

The Mochine:

Pretty heavily oxidized but Grey in Color, has a Pusher style lift axle and headache rack that are being removed.  Tires are done, may need brakes but all hubs will come off for seals/bearings inspect anyway.  Is a Potential to convert to a Single Drive axle, still contemplating on that.  18 spd Deep Reduction Eaton trans and Locker Meritor(Old Rockwell Co) 48,000 lb capacity drive axles.

On the way down dragging my bumper pull sixteen footer, had a steady LIGHT throb in the front end decide to erupt, BOTH front tires threw belts.  AHHH!, The pleasures of owning a Nose Heavy Ford 7.3L!!!

Picked up the ONLY E Rate two Steer tires I could find which were Hercules 285/75/16 (E) Terra Trac ATIIs.  Different size to my installed Coopers which were 265/75/16s but "KNEW" had a Herc dealer close to home and could recover financially to buy two more at a somewhat later date.  I was WRONG Again!  Seems the entire STL Region Herc Dealers as well Amazon, Tire Rack and a few other Net Sales Did NOT have the same tires, Could NOT Get the Same tires!  Called OK dealer and got the last two they had in stock and are coming up when KW Comes Up.  Great Days!!

Edited by DMiller - 12 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 12:30pm
I likey
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:56pm
a friend of mine is doing a ground up redo on an old Chevy tractor, he's just now putting in the interior. have fun with your project!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:26pm
That would make a nice toy hauler with a single air ride axle.  Big enough sleeper you could even share with Shameless, or if his snoring bothers you too much, Creston is a lot thinner.  LOL

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:28pm
Did you trade your AC crawler for it?
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:42pm
Back in the late 80's we built a lot of dies for the Peterbuilts-Pac Car trucks. Front bumper, fenders, sun visors, cab corners , grill corners and more. They sure were pretty trucks in the day. That one looks like a real keeper! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:11pm
Sad to say the beatings from Fat Allis were the driver to this.  The 7G is up for sale while I still operate and utilize it where when a buyer comes it will go.  Been a Hard Long Road and someone else needs to drive awhile!!

Wife made a comment as to me finding us a toy hauler for the Harley, get us On The Road more, see more of the US rather than me beating my brains out trying to keep this farm functioning.  Will keep the 180 and the implements(nephew will get use), most all else will go away as this project comes on and comes to a completion.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:18pm
This Covid has hit the tire industry 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:42pm
Tom are you TRYING to depress Dave? Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:12pm
Makes total sense,, get out and see the world,, I aggrivate myself all weekend on junk, life's short, gotta live it!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Wife made a comment as to me finding us a toy hauler for the Harley, get us On The Road more, see more of the US rather than me beating my brains out trying to keep this farm functioning.  Will keep the 180 and the implements(nephew will get use), most all else will go away as this project comes on and comes to a completion.

Why does a Harley NEED a hauler???Wacko Confused Aren't they supposed to be road bikes? or is yours just a Hound Dog that rides in the back of a truck all the time Ermm

Edited by PaulB - 13 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:10pm
Wife wants to ride but NOT three states worth to get somewhere we can see sights.  Seems on the bike takes an extra day just to arrive where want to see as opposed to delivering bike and riding at where want to see(We got OLD).  KS Heat and Wind SUCK, OK Dust storms in Wind and Heat SUCKS, Nebraska and S Dakota similar.  Have gotten her spoiled, rest and relax Getting to sites, if grab a toy hauler have a house on wheels and can be as comfortable as at home(May become Home).  

Will see how this all plays out.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:28am
    On your maybe plan Dave. Smile

Edited by chaskaduo - 14 Sep 2020 at 10:29am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:52am
Drove a W-900 like that for Meltons back in the late 90's. It had the N-14 and a 10-speed in it!--LOVED that old truck! They traded it for a new truck that had automatic trans. in it and that was the day I quit driving for them---NOT gonna drive a semi with an automatic in it!
Get that one and enjoy your time on the road! --them harleys do get ruff on the ole bottom after a while! Good luck with your plans and hope they come together for you guys!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 11:20am
I have Hercules tera track 235 85r16 load range E's on my 2500 big block suburban they are terrible tires. Poor traction plenty of noise and wear fast. and they weren't even cheep. Walmart does carry them if you really want more. probabily have to order to get the correct size they only have to big and to small whenever I need tires
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:02pm
The Covid made new tires harder to get because of slowed production.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:35pm
I had no problems getting snow tires my 91 Dakota end of last month. Could be a locations problem.

Edited by chaskaduo - 14 Sep 2020 at 3:36pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

I have Hercules tera track 235 85r16 load range E's on my 2500 big block suburban they are terrible tires. Poor traction plenty of noise and wear fast. and they weren't even cheep. Walmart does carry them if you really want more. probabily have to order to get the correct size they only have to big and to small whenever I need tires

AT  IIs or M&S IIs, different tires and the M&S IIS are QUITE Noisy.  These are AT IIS quiet as have ever been on, reviews of traction in soft or snow are average for nearly all the brands currently.  I had 265/65 16 coopers, Noisy from day one, dig craters almost instantly in soft stuff, and on snow were like skis.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic