This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old school tractor usage article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old school tractor usage article
    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 9:40pm
It is a short article but it does hit the basic points that most all of you on the forum are aware of.

Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 11:25pm

Edited by LouSWPA - 10 Jan 2020 at 4:42pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 11:35pm

Edited by LouSWPA - 10 Jan 2020 at 4:41pm
Wait for the Lord;
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 4:52pm
A lot of small trucking companies around here are building older trucks to get around EPA crap. They just can't go to California. Was helping at the tractor pulls and the CaseIH on the drags PTO quit working so they didn't water the track till someone told them to shut the tractor off and restart. The computer reset and it worked again. Never had that problem with an Allis or Oli
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:07pm
Only problem I can see is the powers to be, may require us to buy new machines, and force us out of repairing them by banning all replacement parts sources. I'd hope not, but people like gretta are out there preaching about emmissions and such, all while flying around on a private jet of course. "I'm referring to you all, not me" her, and all the other left winged hypocritical psychos! lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm
Folks,
Does this thread really need to include any political references? Seems to be related to repairing farm machinery? I think there is a section in the forum for political views.  Admins can move this thread there, please?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:31pm
It is difficult to remove politics out of this thread because emission standards are dictated by the government.  
Boss Man is 100% correct about the retrofitting of trucks..
I know of several companies who have built glider kits from Peterbilt and Kenworth.  A glider kit is everything except the engine and transmission.  This allows the builder to put in the engine/transmission combination they desire.  I imagine International, Freightliner and Mack have glider kits too.  I heard Peterbilt was halting production of glider kits.  
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
Really Chris? You can't make the connection? You think the EPA is all about improving your life and not about controlling it? Give em enough time and they'll figure out a reason to stop you from tapping trees. "It's not natural."  "It makes the tree hurt." Etc Etc
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:22pm
The question of why are they buying older tractors is because of computer controls on the new tractors. The question of why computers is because of emission standards. The question of why emission standards becomes political. Ed is right there will be ways to force farmers to buy new tractors one way is mandating all crops harvested with Tier 4 equipment or you can’t sale your crops.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:54pm
I've been seeing ALOT of the old cab overs pulling new trailers of all types lately.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:21am
But not in California.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm
Wink The change is coming,political but more as news you need so you can prepare. Angry

The latest from "Land of Fruits and Nuts" Dead

They are going to make small gas engines go away.CryCryCry No chainsaws,lawn mowers, and leaf blowers. Only sell Angry electric or battery powered.

Along with this a BS story that lawn mower will make more pollution in one hour of use,than driving as small car 200 mile.ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

They have not past it as law but nothing to stop them unless the SNOWFLAKES wake up.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:23pm
I'd be real happy if the neighbour's leafblower 'went away'..dang thing is earpiercing LOUD specially on Sundays !

as for crops only with tier4.. fine, farmers quit...go collect free cheese. if ,IF, enough did, 'they' would eventually wonder WHY is there no food !!!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 2:46pm
No food and a glut of junk batteries everywhere, just like poopies. Wink
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:02pm
OK, my apologies, didn't mean to make it political
Wait for the Lord;
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

as for crops only with tier4.. fine, farmers quit...go collect free cheese. if ,IF, enough did, 'they' would eventually wonder WHY is there no food !!!!
"They" are fine with moving all ag production to Africa and South America. I remember a certain politician, I shall not mention, back in the '90's who spouted that the USA should concentrate on becoming a big world park. That's what "they" want and IMO they don't want us.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,
Does this thread really need to include any political references? Seems to be related to repairing farm machinery? I think there is a section in the forum for political views.  Admins can move this thread there, please?
Regards,
 Chris
Chris I don't see it going political the guys are just stating facts. If you ignore the facts what are you going to do when the do gooders politicians come to one of your pulls and make you put a catalytic converter and a regenerative braking system on it? Food for thought. Have a good day

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:31pm
This Chris guy is funny,,thers always someone

Edited by DougG - 10 Jan 2020 at 4:50pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

This Chris guy is funny,, another rock dumb dude
That was uncalled for!!!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:44pm
Your right , get it removed from China,, lol,,simple simple stuff

Edited by DougG - 10 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:21am
The reason it should have gone to the political section, isn’t because of the original content, it’s because people can’t help themselves from hurling insults, and most people in this section don’t care to be a part of that, nor deserve it for their comments. It didn’t take long and it never fails.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

The reason it should have gone to the political section, isn’t because of the original content, it’s because people can’t help themselves from hurling insults, and most people in this section don’t care to be a part of that, nor deserve it for their comments. It didn’t take long and it never fails.

Well said Tbone.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Well said Tbone.
X2!!
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,
Regards,
 Chris

I can't help feel this is directed at me, which I kinda take personally! I certainly am not intending to call anyone names, or go all "political" on you, but I am out to point out the reason our equipment has become so tech dependent, it has become undependable! Fire away! lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 2:00pm
Folks,

No. I was not intending my post to be directed at anyone. I was attempting to address where the thread seemed to be going, and made a suggestion where it might be better suited for future discussion. I understand a lot of things in our lives are related to political/ governmental rules and regulations. Some of those may hurt some and may also help others. I get it. 

If you feel like you were personally slammed, read down several threads and put my boots on for a couple minutes. You may have a little trouble seeing if the posts are directed at me, but I dont think so!

I did not quote anyone and include their statement in my post. Why, because it was not directed at anyone. it was my observation.  I made a recommendation. I guess I was wrong in doing that.

It seems also that all my tractors and my hobby business are doomed too. Darn I was having a good time with both!

I believe if you read the rules of the forum that Darin has outlined,  I was not out of line. 

I apologize if I stepped on any toes or wrinkled any feathers or hurt anybodies feelings, it was not my intent. 

I see the political portion of this good Allis Chalmers Tractor Forum, do I go there? See if you can find one of my posts. If you would like my reasons on why I dont go there, we can discuss here, as a P.M. or however you want. I am not talking about political issues, I am talking about the health of this forum. Political issue can be discussed but rarely solved in a forum like this. Now whether folks come here, that is in our control!

Maybe this forum should just be the Unofficial Political Forum? And as it moves in that direction guess who is not going to be here? Yep you guessed it ME! And my guess is a lot of other good folks that may still like Allis Chalmers tractors will be finding other places to chat about their old tractor habits.

Really looking forward to the posts about this "Old school tractor usage" topic in the future. Since I am obviously dumber than a rock, I did not have the foresight of some folks on here to read the article in the link, and realize how well it fit in the Farm equipment section and related to Allis Chalmers equipment and the government.

I continue to learn.

Regards,
 Chris Casbohm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 2:55pm
You did no wrong Chris. Keep calm and carry on as if nothing happened.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:01pm
    My Uncle Kenny was born in 1932, he planted his first corn at the age of 13 with a WC and a 2 row check planter, look how much has changed.
     Dad and I farm 1000 acres, we have only Allis-Chalmers tractors. 8070, 2-8050's, 8010, 7060, 7020, 2-200's and 2-190 XT's both with 500 loaders, 2 Gleaner L3's, CA's for mowing the grass and some antique's for fun.

We have no desire to purchase a non AC tractor, as long as I can get parts and keep these ol gals churning. I would like to upgrade the bean combine to an R65 but the L3 just wont lay down and the cost of harvest per acre is minute. Yes, you do have to keep them up on maintenance and you have to spend a little more time in the off season to get them ready.
    Guy I know works for a sod farm, they bought a brand new 200 hp New Holland. He says it's the most fuel efficient tractor he's operated. The motor only runs as many rpm's as necessary to make the transmission meet the ground speed requirement. Sound pretty neat, but he said don't even think about jump starting it with a set of cables...no thanks...give me ol school....
    All said, I'm not doing this just to keep up the the "Jones", just trying to make a living.
    As for the original post, looks like we are trending...
Leon B MO

Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:06pm
I didn't see much political negativity in the posts.  I think a lot of people are getting fed up with the ways the big equipment companies are keeping farmers from repairing their own machines.  I'm hoping that things will change, perhaps if JD and others start losing market share because of their stubbornness.
BTW Gertta came over to the US and went back on a sailboat, took trains or rode in cars, didn't fly at all.

Edited by JohnCO - 11 Jan 2020 at 10:09pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 3:26am
John, that's funny, that right there is a political forum topic all in itself. LOL Wink
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:00am
The way of ALL vehicles......actually the way of all things anymore.  Computers were a nice thing, but now with all the spying etc that is going on with them, not so nice.  You don't even get a choice, you're just a number.

It's getting so you can't change spark plugs anymore.  Used to be you could listen to an engine and tell what was wrong with it, now it's just start throwing out boards till it works.
AAAaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic