This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old school solder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old school solder
    Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 2:39pm
I have a spool of acid core 40/60 solder (40 percent tin,60 percent lead). Also some Nokorode soldering paste (greasy stuff with zinc chloride).
I know lead is banned in water supply systems since the "80's".
Would they have, circa 1975, used this acid core  40/60 + Nokorode for copper water pipes?
My memory was the old stuff was 50/50, is 40/60 all that much different?
And the acid core, is that for sheetmetal work or was also good for copper pipe plumbing.
Is the acid core compatible with the Nokorode?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 3:23pm
I've got LOTS of REAL Solder( solder IS lead + tin) around here and use whatever's handy. I've even used resin cored 'electronic' solder(63/37) to do plumbing repairs.
The resin is to clean and allow solder to flow.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 5:36am

Well,,,for some reason,,,I just cannot run the resin core solder on electrical wires,,so,,I use the acid core solder and it works for me,,,,Clap
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 8:39am
Hey Joe, the hot air gun is for the shrink tube part of the job. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 9:53am

CHASK,,,,chask,,,??  I know that,,,I use matches, lighters,  grill lighters and such for the shrink fit,,,,I ain't spendin no money on them fancy dancy heat guns,,,,Wink
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 11:55am
Acid core on copper makes the copper turn green and will eat up the parts in electronic use,--so they say! --I only use resin core for that reason.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 2:36pm
Ruby fluid (instead of nokorode paste or acid core) best I have used to enhance solder to flow and adhere.  Use it for stained glass soldering.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 9:22pm
The choice of core is made based on the application.  If you're soldering electronics (printed circuit boards) you MUST NOT use acid-core flux... it will eat right through the thin copper traces within a month or so of soldering.  Use rosin-core only for printed circuit use.

Acid core is often necessary for plumbing fixtures... sweating copper into brass, for example.  You can use acid core on soldering heavy solid wire, but it's better to buff the wire core to shiny clean, use a strong enough soldering iron, and use rosin-core solders.

Use of lead-based solder in plumbing may have been banned in California in the '80's, but I don't think it was totally 'banned' anywhere else.  The presence of lead in solder in domestic water plumbing was restricted in the suggestion of Section 1417 of the Safe Water Drinking Act, but it exempted non-drinking water supply.

The California enviro-swampers require their 'warnings' to be posted on basically anything made of copper, brass, lead, bronze, iron, etc., as 'containing substances known by the state of California to cause cancer'.  Mysteriously, they haven't marked plastic plumbing fittings the same way, but the production byproducts of that very same plastic are much more dangerous...

The biggest lead-based concern of ANY plumbing system, is LEAD PIPES.  It was very common from the 'teens through the 50's to use lead for common water pipe, and that's not such a good thing.  A properly sweated pipe fitting, however, has little, if any lead solder make it into water-contact areas, so those that cry concern over sweated copper are clearly not well endowed with plumbing expertise.

Lead PAINT is more of a hazard than anything else... and the contamination problems exist highest in urban areas, with big high-rise buildings built before 1980, filled with low-income tenants.

Silver-soldering is a good, but more expensive option, as are the other combinations, but don't wait long... the reality of environmental health clowns, is that they'll soon discover that copper, antimony, bismuth, silver, and tin are all heavy metals, too, and that they're just as dangerous, in appropriate concentrations, as lead.  The electricity is dangerous, too... and practically every water pipe you ever work on, will become heavily contaminated with dihydrogen oxide, which is one of the deadliest compounds on the planet...  people are killed by it every day, and it leaves very little trace... it's colorless, odorless, and seemingly harmless, but it's DEADLY...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 12:59am
Dave,,,,did you read EVERY encyclopedia that was within your reach since you was two years old??
IF,,,,,,,,,I had all the knowledge that you try to teach us, I'd KNOW it's in that pea brain head I've got, but I wouldn't know HOW the heck to get it back out!!
YOU AMAZE me when some topic comes up.
SOMEHOW there's a bunch of us that just HAS to get together and see if'n we can come up with something that you have NO idea about!!
Do you know how to cook?   LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 6:13am
Plead the fifth Dave. Wink
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:14am
The dihydrogen monoxide parody involves calling water by an unfamiliar chemical name – most often "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO) but also "dihydrogen oxide", "hydroxyl acid" or "hydroxylic acid" – and listing some of water's well-known effects in a particularly alarming manner, such as accelerating corrosion and causing suffocation. The parody often calls for dihydrogen monoxide to be banned, regulated, or labeled as dangerous. It demonstrates how a lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:40am
Well we know that H2O is water and H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide, so what is H2O4 then?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:56am
Hydroxyperoxide
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 2:10pm
Little Stan took a drink but he shall drink no more for what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

I only use acid core for dirty oxidized electrical connections and use rosin core for everything else. Also use Ruby fluid for my stained glass.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:15pm
Dave Kamp "Use of lead-based solder in plumbing may have been banned in California in the '80's, but I don't think it was totally 'banned' anywhere else.  The presence of lead in solder in domestic water plumbing was restricted in the suggestion of Section 1417 of the Safe Water Drinking Act, but it exempted non-drinking water supply".  

ALL lead for domestic drinking water has been banned in the USA for some time now. Solder, Pipe and fittings.  Copper and solder with lead can be used for hydronic heating 

Edited by dave63 - 30 Dec 2019 at 7:16pm
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:02pm
The 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code has restricted lead content in solder and flux to just 0.2 percent lead content for use in potable water applications. 0.25 percent content in faucets, valves, and fittings. This value has not changed since the 1997 edition which is the earliest I have. Around 2012 California and Vermont adopted lead free language which caused manufacturers and distributors to offer only lead free products. To answer the OP, I have never used flux core solder in my work. And I have found that old flux can be contaminated and caused great difficulty in sweating pipe and fittings together.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:07pm
Perhaps 'banned', but still not very enforcible.  Fortunately, there's been substantial improvement in plastic plumbing supplies, in both materials and fasteners, handling, and price, so it hasn't been a big deal.  In my home renovations, I've made it my standard practice to pull hot and cold mains to an area, then set up a manifold to provide short runs of smaller diameter for all the fixtures... it makes things so much simpler, quicker, and less problematic.

Ted... LOL  funny you should mention that...

When I was 14, I was at my grandparents farm, throwing hay bales up onto the hayrack one day... the whole day... actually, it was three days straight... we finally finished up the south 120-acre just ahead of that night's incoming rain...

Long story shorter... I took over lawn mowing so Gramma could get dinner started.  We were famished...  and I came around the uphill side of this big, gnarly oak tree, got into some oyster grass, slipped into that mower, and shredded my left foot.  (yes, Gramma was devistated, but I survived okay... if it'd happened to HER, she wouldn't've been able to recover as well)

Long story shorter... I spent the next three months lying on my back, with what was left of my foot elevated in bandages.  Between hot soakings of open wounds, several surgeries, and terrible pains, terrible problems with pain meds, I had LOTS of time to read, and had to learn to survive with very little sleep.  Took me several years to walk well, but yes, I DID read the World Book, all 23 volumes, and every Popular Mechanics, every Mechanix Illustrated, Model Airplane News, Scientific American, Special Interest Autos, Model A News, every newspaper comic strip... more than I care to remember, but it was about all I could do to keep from going (more) crazy.  (as you can see, it didn't help much...)

If there's anything the experience brought to me, it is that I very much value the ability to get up, move around, and build things.  Being trapped in an inability to do things, is about the worst punishment a person could ever endure.

So if you wonder why old tractors, engines, machine tools, history, HAM radio, music, motorcycles, boating, riflery and archery, economics, construction, metalworking and welding, geology and hydrology, weather, mathematics, physics, sociology... well... it all fits together as pieces of one big puzzle to me.  Just don't go into Chaucer's Canturbury Tales, please, and I REALLY didn't care for Jane Austen.

Back to plumbing-  If you read Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy (aka "Inferno"), you'll see that he's arranged hell into 'layers'... wherin the Devil resides at the lowest layer, cold and frozen.

At this point, I believe Dante was in grievous error of omission... Dis (or as we call him, Satan) sat, trapped waist-deep in ice...

and left out the important part:
   ( ...because of failed plumbing  )

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by DaveKamp - 30 Dec 2019 at 9:09pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic