This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old gal got lucky today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old gal got lucky today
    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:26pm
We haven't had a grill in 20 years. The local Fairway store pulled her name outta the hat today and sent her home with a Treager brand smoker grill. I'm probably too darn lazy to to learn how to operate it. What do you guys use to create smoke? Do you use different stuff for different meat. Now maybe I can get a steak at home. She sure can't cook one. I think I spelled it right.
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:47pm
Make smoke? That's easy. I let the wife use the oven.😆
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:52pm
Pellet burning grill?
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:33pm
I have no clew if it burns pellets. Old gal just tossed big ol cookbook on me and expects me to figure this stuffout. Reading the book, yep it burns pellets.   Book says use alder pellets for everything. Wondering whatyou guys use. Don't worry about cooking chicken. That won't happen.

Edited by 200Tom1 - 21 Jun 2019 at 6:44pm
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:29pm
What flavor are you looking for?   I have hickory and mesquite for cooking beef. Amazing what kinds of wood are available. Was told I could burn most any pellet but those used for pellet stoves.
Dave
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:50pm
Dave I have no idea what flavor we are looking for. In sure i'll get told. Where is a good place to buy these pellets?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 8:02pm
 Hey 200,,,(thas a cute one),,,,,when you buy the pellets,,,make SURE they are hardwood FOR SMOKING ,,,you ain't gonna believe how terrible the groceries will taste if you use any softwood,,,,,,,not that I've ever done that,,,,just tellin you,,,,,LOL
 HMmmm,,Alder,,I'm sure a lot of people use alder,,,,don't have a clue what flavor it gives your meats,,,I stick with Pecan first, apricot second then mesquite. We don't have oak but i hear it is real good,,,, Good Luck,,,that traeger is a real high end smoker,,,,,
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
Ok thanks guys. After a little questioning the old gal said the guy that loaded this in the pickup has1 just like it. He had her buy a bag of apple,hickory, and cherry pellets All in one bag.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 8:48pm
Yep, you got it. Any of those three are excellent for grilling, and of course the other suggestions are good too. They do work as neighbor magnet, so be careful !Wink      Leon
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:13pm
Not sure where you are located but any place that sells pellet grills will have them. Menards, Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart all sell them. Like any thing else, you get what you pay for.
Dave
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 9:49pm
There is a fantastic bbq joint up here, people who visit from TX say just as good if not better than down there so owner knows what he's doing. Says he uses 100% oak for everything, and light on the seasoning rubs mostly salt and pepper.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 11:03pm
we always used fruit tree wood for smoking meats. I was watching that show filmed in Alaska, and they always used alder for smoking their fish. it took along time for us to find alder wood here, (it's more available now), after we found it, tried it, and we won't use that again! went back to apple wood for about everything. be careful not to let your new grill sit out in the rain or heavy humidity with pellets in it, they will swell and not feed right if at all.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 11:04pm
oh...and Joe says..."that wasn't the kind of lucky he was thinking about"! lol
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:32am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

oh...and Joe says..."that wasn't the kind of lucky he was thinking about"! lol

Yeah,,Shameless,,,,I see you noticed what I been thinkin bout ole Tom for some timeWink,,,he,,,he,like you in callin his partner them names,,,but I'm bettin your farm that he's got a really sweet spot for his lady,,,,,,yep he always workin his butt off doin things and,,,,and,,,makin stuff just for her,,,,,thas why I'm thinkin he gets ,,,,lucky pretty often,,don't ya think,,??LOL 
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:27pm
Making smoke is easy  Just pi$$ off your wife or her mother
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 11:39pm
Boys I wouldn't want to bet the farm on this getting lucky thingie. Thanks for all the good advice guys. The danged old gal just showed me a "to scale drawing" she wants me to build in side this darn trailer she bought last fall. Big question is WHY? We gotta a 33' winneabago sitting outside. Everything works, runs good. Now she has been dragging me around to look at new pickups to drag this 16' trailer around. I ain't overly sold on this.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 11:47pm
Ok I forgot to ask. Do these grills get really bad to be around after they have been used for a while. Reason I asked, old gal wants me to build a spot in this trailer to store it while we travel.

Edited by 200Tom1 - 22 Jun 2019 at 11:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic