This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Fart Truck Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Fart Truck Tires
    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:09pm
Looking for recommendations, suggestions, spitball ideas whatever.

I'm resurrecting an old (1983) C10 Suburban, it's not 4WD, it's not lifted, I might stick a spool or a locker in the back, it's mainly for dragging stuff around the yard, runs to the lumber store and stuff.

I like the idea of tall skinny, pizza cutter, tires on it, good for mud and snow. It's got the standard (I think) Chevy rims, 15x7 (as I measured) can I get away with putting a 7-15 tire on it, like these from the WalMart?

It came with a 235/75R15 which is about an inch and a half wider.

Edited by Coke - 22 Oct 2020 at 1:21pm
1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 3:33pm
Normally the tires are 1 or 2 inch WIDER than the rim... A 7 inch tire is 175 mm wide.. Thats pretty narrow for a truck... You would be further ahead with  8 inch ( 205 mm) or 9 inch (225 mm)...... Your present 235 mm are equal to  9.25 inch wide.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 3:39pm
The tires your reference on the wal mart page are 7 inch wide and carry about 2000 pounds each.. So in theory they will fit on 7 inch rims and be adequate for a LIGHT duty truck... Problem is that Wal Mart might not install them on 7 inch rims... Need to see what their policy is... You would be better looking at 225 - 235 mm tires ..

If you want cheap, i would do this.......

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Oct 2020 at 3:56pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
Theres someone that used to own a tire shop on here, he should have advise
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm
If you wait, Walmart is having a Black Days sale on tires.  I believe it starts Nov 4.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:50pm
they should work Coke, i like the tread!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:17pm
You know those are a bias pyl tire. Suburbans are heavy don't go narrower than the 235 it came with.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 22 Oct 2020 at 11:18pm
Hyperpack View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyperpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 10:21am
My Dad called those Tarpaper tires because they were hard rubber and had No traction.
I had them on a truck 30 years ago they made lots of noise and wore like iron but wouldnt pull anything in the snow. I finally put them on a trailer and put on some old worn radials that pulled 50 times better.
Hyperpack
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:25pm
shucks...i still have some of them Firestone tires that got recalled on some of my burbs and pickups, they are still going strong and keeping me unstuck! 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 12:02am
Dale, I sold hundreds of that very same tire. 7:00x 15. It will work pretty darn good on your burban. There is a better traction tire. It is a Jetzon Dual Bite. We had guys using them on the back of 1/2 ton 2x4 pickups hauling firewood outta the timber. They are both noisy on the pavement. I just tried to google Jetson Dual Bites. They must have discontinued them. There is nothing like them on Jetsons web page

Edited by HD6GTOM - 24 Oct 2020 at 12:15am
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm
Yeah, I do want cheap, but I also want it to look a bit better, even if it's in the shed 90% of the time.

I thought 7-15's were spec'd for the rim they went on? Like they are about 8" wide in reality? But I'm no tire guy.

Jetzon have a Trailcutter M&S is that anything like the Dual Bite? Googling DualBite all I see is someone saying they switched to the Traction King after they couldn't find the dual bite anymore.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 6:57pm
7-15's really are for a 6" rim I had power king bias plus on my jeep they really are a crap tire my 47 cj2a needed tall skinny tire they were tall and skinny fair traction in mud and snow no traction on the road noisy road very bad and lumped for the first couple miles every morning. A cheap a/s radial has better traction and much better ride
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 7:34pm
You better check with Wal Mart on the INSTALL... I DOUBT any installer will put 7 inch tires on a 7 inch rim.... And when they find out you are putting them on a 6000 pounds truck, im guessing they will say NO.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:58am
Coke. The tire is nothing like the dual bite. The tread on the dual bite looks real similar to the tread on the Goodyear bias ply 9:50 x16.5 of the 1980's. I spent an hour looking for the wholesale warehouse we bought them from.   I could not find a phone number for them. I do remember the name, Moore tire out of North West Missouri. We were in northwest Missouri 2 months ago. I saw one of their delivery trucks on the road. Sorry I cannot find anything more than that.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:00am
Mud and snow I would go with a more open tread so they don't load up in sticky mud.
Snow potentially OK, ice would be useless.
Something on this order. Nothing is cheap.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:23am
I currently have 235 80r16 s load range Es on my suburban they are to small. The good thing about skinny tires on a heavy suburban they wear out real fast it's been 2 years ane they need to be replaced soon. My 454 powered 3/4 ton HD 4wd is just to heavy on any thin less than packed gravel it sinks. It's getting the same 265s my one ton has real soon
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:29pm
Went back to 285s on my Ford 250 Lead sled 7.3.  Front end on narrow tires just headed for paydirt.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Oct 2020 at 5:29pm
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
This is the sort of ratio of rubber to wheel I'm looking for (nice style tread too) what size should I be looking at for a 15x7 rim then?

Edited by Coke - 26 Oct 2020 at 9:01am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:32am
Those were a 90 series tire. 80 series is the tallest you can get in a radial but you'll have to go to a 16" rim. In a 15" I think 75 are all you can get. If your dead set on the 700-15 bias tire you should go down to a 6" wide rim. And you'll wind up buying your tires as take outs no dealer will mount them on your suburban.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:56pm
the closest your going to come to that tread is probably something like the snow tire that FIXER posted the link to.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Oct 2020 at 12:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic