This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old circular saw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old circular saw
    Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 12:49pm
Have an old Craftsman saw that's 7 1/2" . Didn't know they used to make that size ? Thought they were all 7 1/4" ? Guess a 7 1/4" blade will work just fine ? I'm guessing this old saw is from the 80's ? Which ain't that old to me really . Probably put a new blade on it and see how it cuts . Thanks
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 12:53pm
My dad bought a 10 inch Craftsman Table saw in 1956 ... I inherited it when he died 1985.... I use it every week for something... Rebuilt crank / bearings / bushings / motor about 2015. .... They use to make them pretty TOUGH.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 1:37pm
Yeah Steve, this saw has Made in the USA on it. Thanks!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 6:39pm
I have used 9"  saw blades on a 10" radial arm saw AND 10" ones on a 9" saw. so dont see why it wouldnt work on the skilsaw. Check that nothing hits before you turn it on.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 8:18pm
If the hole size is the same or you have the correct bushing it will work just fine. I recently gave a Craftsman 7 1/4 made back in the 70's to a friend of mine who does remodeling. He is using it on the job. Those were made well and they lasted if given just a bit of care.
I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw that I would like to find a good home for. Miter saws have pretty much replaced the old radial arms since they are more portable but for production work you can't beat a radial arm especially since it can be set up to rip also.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 5:55am
Thanks guys!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 6:52am
Got several Craftsman radial arm saws and table saws here and I use them a lot. Also use the old, old, old skill-saws a lot. Find them on auctions for a couple bucks and use the heck out of them. Made WAY better than the new plastics are! --- also nice and heavy so they follow the line better! lol!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 7:27pm
I got a Craftsman 6 1/2" circular saw at an auction. Works great for OSB & Plywood. Luckily blades are still available. And it's old enough no safety button in handle so this lefty can operate it.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

I got a Craftsman 6 1/2" circular saw at an auction. Works great for OSB & Plywood. Luckily blades are still available. And it's old enough no safety button in handle so this lefty can operate it.

Is the blade on the left or the right side. I have noticed that on some of the battery powered saws if it is a 6 1/2 the blade is on the left but it 7 1/4 it is on the right.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 2:57pm
As a kid we did no carpenter work to speak of on the ranch. But my dad took a notion we needed some wooden feeds as he had expanded the cattle herd a bunch in the early 1970's. His favorite hardware salesman in town sold him Miller Falls 6 1/2 inch saw.  Just enough to cut 2 by lumber. Several more experienced said it was more for finish work than framing work. What we used it for lasted very well. About 10 years ago the switch stopped working. A friend that is very handy with such fixes was looking for a saw so I gave it to him. As far as I know it still works. It had the blade on the right side. Blade guard was the only safety it had.

It got even less use once we had 12 inch cut chain saw. Good enough for corral boards, and pieces of 100+++++ year old barn with out power handy.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 4:09pm
Wonder who made the Craftsman saws?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Wonder who made the Craftsman saws?

lowest bidder!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 7:43pm
CRAFTSMAN would go out for BIDS on  everything... They didnt "make" anything... Tools supplied by Stanley, S&K , several others... GE and Westinghouse made frig , stove, washers, dryers, etc....

I think my 10 inch table saw in 1953 was made by Electrolux ????.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Jun 2024 at 7:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 7:55pm
Thanks Dave and Steve, makes sense in the business world I guess?

Edited by ACinSC - 22 Jun 2024 at 7:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic