This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil filter base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost in h3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil filter base
    Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 8:48pm
I have recently completed restoring a h3 dozer with a series 2 d15  (160 CI) engine. I have researched this dozer and engine for the past year. However, the confusion on the oiling system only grows worse the more I research. My engine has a oil filter base which does not match any filters recommended for this dozer. It also loses prime when shut down. It does not have a center tube and a fram ph8 will not fit. Its obvious I have the wrong filter base but what is the right filter base. This engine has the vain type pump on the back of the cam shaft. From my research it seems a fram ph8 or equivalent is correct filter. Could I buy a filter base to fit that filter? Does anyone know where to buy such a filter base. This might seem trivial but there is so much talk about flow thru filters, non flow thru filters, tube, no tube, relief valves in filters and it goes on and on. I just want my engine to have oil. CAN ANYONE HELP.

Thank You

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 10:22pm
The later D15 and 17 use this filter base.. and the PH8 is correct. This is a full flow oil filter like a car/ truck....... The "old" style was a bypass filter with the center tube and a jar type thread on it...

Does you engine use this, or is it a REMOTE base with tubes connected to the engine ?

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 10:27pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 10:56pm
or do something like this if you want remote mount location... just run a couple hoses / tubes.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 6:16pm
O made my own with a aluminum plate and using a 3/4 bolt . I drilled out hte bolt to accept a fitting to hook oil line to and threaded plate to accept the 3/4 bolt NC threads which is what the PH8 filter inlet is . Then I drilled the plate and threaded it for the oil return line . The plate has both a oil filter and a fuel filter mounted on it . I did have to put a restrictor into feed line to control oil pressure loss as the sustem was a bypass oil fiter on the 2-71 Detroit I made it for .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 6:25pm
What is the full serial number on the engine block ?? Stamped into the block behind the carburetor/air cleaner hose.   G-160 should absolutely use a PH-8A Fram filter, BUT the oil pump (altho you think it looks the same) is DIFFERENT between the PH-8A filter base and the old style base with the standpipe tube/cotton string filter.  A legit G-149 engine made for a D-15/H-3 engine also would use a PH-8A filter base and oil pump. An old G-149 used the old style filter/old style oil pump.  Not sure what you're going to do here if someone has cross-bred parts that don't work with each other.  To use the PH-8A filter base the oil line is  3/8" diameter and the engine block is also drilled for this bigger line.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 6:33am

As has been stated above, all D-15's, whether the earlier 149 ci. in. or later Ser.II 160 cu. in, use the Full Flow Fram PH8A or equivalent.

Same goes for all H3 Gas Engine, a Fram PH8A.

G
lost in h3 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost in h3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 7:37pm
I'm going with the fram ph8a or equivalent. I purchased a oil filter mount for the aforementioned filter. Thank you
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 8:50pm
And the oil pump line/fittings are all the larger 3/8" size including the hole threaded into the engine block  ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 9:19pm
Like Dr says, you can not just DECIDE which one you want to use. The two systems are not interchangable.. Different design...  Do you have the BIG lines line this ?

If your "filter housing" has the 3/4 inch central thread, it probably is the NEWER design above... If it has a mason jar thread it is the old design. Easy enough to take the tube out of the center, so " no tube" does not clarify what you have.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 9:28pm
The "OLDER" bypass filter has a mason jar size thread and the oil lines are very small and more hidden behind the filter....

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Nov 2023 at 9:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic