This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil change WD45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil change WD45
    Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 7:26pm
Did an oil and filter change on my old tractor. Doesn't get used much so has been a few years since I did it. Used Shell rotella 15-40 but the older spec oil in the black pail. New filter from Agco. Really brought the oil pressure up - now constant on the high end of the gauge. Stays on the "L" in normal on the face of the gauge. It had 5-40 synthetic in it before and the pressure wasn't as good. I think the non synthetic is better for these old girls! Winter starts may be a bit harder tho. Smile
Sponsored Links

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 7:44pm
Use that oil in my WD. Fires up just fine in the cold.
Learning AC...slowly
Aaron123 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aaron123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 6:54pm
I use Rotella 15-40 in my wd45 and it seems good.
The guy that owned it before me put it in most engines he has.. they even put it in there dodge minivan. Lol
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:24am
Wally world 10-30 full synthetic in my 45
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:54am
Dad's 1949 WD spent its first 40 or so years using SAE 20W-20, now has 10W-30.  As far as pressure, the book says that "oil pressure is sufficient when the needle on the gauge is between the O-R-M in the word "Normal" on the guage!  O, for the sake of simplier times!  R. Musgrave
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:31am
You went from 5 viscosity at start up, to 15 viscosity at start up.  Yep, your oil pressure will be higher.  
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:22pm
I'm not talking about startup. That is fully warmed up to about 170 degrees F. Drove it a few miles. Top number is what counts when it is hot - both are 40 so should be close.
Engine is 226 gas just to clarify. It stays at 170-175 constant even on hot day. Not trying to start any argument here. Just sharing some observations as the oil discussions seem to appear here once in a while. Smile

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 23 Jun 2022 at 9:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic