This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offered a job today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offered a job today
    Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 11:12pm
Post master in our little town. Working hours are from noon to 2:00 in the afternoon 6 days a week. The gal working there wants out. UNfortunatly I don't have the time. Farmers market will be starting up again too quickly. SHE didn't know what the starting pay was.
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 5:33am
The post office in our small town, which is right across the toad from our house, is only open 4 hours per day (8 AM - noon). 
They have a big turnover in help. As soon as they get someone fully trained, they get transferred to a busier post office, whether they want to or not.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 5:45am
re: SHE didn't know what the starting pay was.

????!!!!

For me to take on the job, the starting pay would have to be MORE than what she's getting now....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 11:33am
In general employees  we as tax payers get our moneys worth out of. Not that there not plenty that do their best to cheat us tax payers, but the hours are much more than I use to think. It has always been a 6 day week job, and if I am remembering they are salaried not hourly so no overtime. So not as cushy as many government jobs.

Now with all the online buying and the shipping agreements the post office made they do Sunday delivers here on some packages.   
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 9:59am
My take on a 'retirement' job; No more than FOUR days a week! Have been taking Fridays off burning up this years vacation. Three day weekends are vastly superior to two day weekends! Hope to retire from the factory in four years or a little less. Have some ideas for things to do after but not going to work 40 hours a week! Colfax tractor parts is only seven miles from the farm, wouldn't mind putzing around there and getting paid to do so.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 10:27am
I am free and clear to resume working IF I WANT TO and still draw my SS, will also be seeing two raises, One for COLA, second for extension of retire date by six months since tagged for being paid too much last year.
NOT Certain WANT to return to a Job, may try something else next, like REALLY retiring.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:43pm
IBWD ---My take on a 'retirement' job; No more than FOUR days a week! Have been taking Fridays off burning up this years vacation

I was in the same boat about 12 years ago..Company was selling out... Had a couple weeks vacation i had not used.. BOSS said  "YOU GOT TO USE THEM UP BY DEC 31" .... So i took every friday off in Oct- Nov- Dec....New company offered me a job as Consultant.. I said OK... BUT I ONLY WORK 4 DAYS A WEEK !! ... Did that for another several years......... GREAT TIME !!

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Nov 2022 at 12:43pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:30pm
When I was heading towards retirement, my (very understanding) boss let me call in "sick" to use up my sick time.  I had like, 600 hours, that I would not have been paid for.  We were working from home (due to COVID), so it was easy.  I was even able to call in  sick from 350 miles away for long weekends - I retired from working in downtown Chicago to rural Iowa in Oct 2020.  So much better here.  I don't have the spare time now, for a part time job. Wink

Edited by GSTROM99 - 16 Nov 2022 at 1:31pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:39am
Pretty sure I'll have no problem keeping busy once I 'retire'. Seem to drag projects home about three times as fast as I complete them currently! Have a neighbor that always needs help doing something on the farm. Plenty of other opportunities out there too.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 11:03am
I just tell everyone that asks what I do that I'm now HR. HAPPILY RETIRED! Worked since 12 yrs old. No desire to have another job.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 12:11pm
I work 2 hours a week to pay my dental and go in each week when i feel like it.  My manager and I have been together for 21 years, I go in to cover her lunch break and allow her to get her weekly paperwork done.  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:35am
I dont think too many 70 year old guys are "looking for a career"....  Wink   Thumbs Up
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 9:41pm
I keep trying to hide from people that want me to go to work. IF I wanted to work, except on my own stuff, I wouldn't have retired from the last job of 24 years. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 7:07am
Took the Kenworth to sign shop for measurements and color coordination of name signage to go on. Gal that also part owns the body shop there asked if I needed a job as
Liked my work and could use another good man, Sheesh!!.

Local inde mechanics and grade shops offer me work as see me in town, the assist I made for the trucking company was out of respect and as act of kindness to keep them afloat, not been actively looking or considering work as a general basis, some boredom considerations are also there. Damned certain do not want Full Time employ these days.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 7:25am

DANGER

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Rimritanya Rimritanya wrote:

Even though this thread is from a year ago, it's great to hear about such opportunities.

Your dedication to your current commitments, like the farmers market, is commendable, and it's essential to find a balance that works for you.

Got a lot of AC's in Chicago do ya?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 9:56am
While I know the post is most likely spam, there are still a lot of Allis-Chalmers tractors working in Chicagoland and the surrounding area. 

Still a lot of rural area up there being farmed. To many, an old rebuilt AC is better than a new anything.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 6:06pm
Codger where are you at in IL?  I've got a sister in Batavia.  Get down there every 1st of May.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 7:30pm
I am actually west of Peoria about 22 miles. My son lives in Wheaton and was in Warrenville, (borders Batavia) before then. I deliver farm equipment all over the state and get up there often.

Was up in La Crosse earlier in the spring this year picking up some Simplicity lawn equipment from a closing dealer there. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic