This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off topic -Ford truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off topic -Ford truck
    Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 7:11pm
I know this is not A/C, (I have a WC, 2 WD45's and a D17 if that helps)....Can anyone tell me if a 1984 Ford F150 with a 300 cu in 6 has a carburetor, or one of those throttle body things? Thank you... Dan
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 7:14pm
Ford switched most of its vehicles, including trucks, to fuel injection in the 1980sIn 1986, the 5.0L V8 became the first American-market pickup truck engine to come standard with fuel injection. In 1987, the 4.9L inline-6 was also converted to fuel injection. In the same decade, Ford and GM introduced throttle-body injection (TBI), a hybrid fuel system that included a throttle plate and an injector above it.

--im not sure the F150 ever had "throttle body".. I think they went from carb to multi port fuel injection in 86 and 87.. ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Jul 2024 at 7:30pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 7:44pm

I googled ' 1984 f150 300 6 '
sure looks like a carb to me  !!!!

crazy thing is there are websites where you can enter the VIN and get back a LOT of info,like engine it should have, rear end axle, tranny, etc.

FYI it might NOT have he original engine in it.....
I put a 304 V8 into my 258 I6 CJ-5 one year....

Edited by jaybmiller - 21 Jul 2024 at 7:46pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 7:55pm
Thank you for the info I appreciate it! Can anyone
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 8:00pm
(It IS the original engine truck was my late dad's.).been sitting in the barn since dad passed in 2009. My son wants to resurrect it, but needs to get it running...thanks for info.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 10:53pm
yes took one out of an 84 to put in my 52 willys pickup this winter 
Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 12:42am
I had an '84 and it had a carb. I think they switched in '87. I do remember some in '84 had the small ignition module on the distributor and some still had the box on the inner fender.
Bverwolf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bverwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 6:34pm
I’ve got lots of experience with the 80-86 fords of that era especially the 300 six. If you run into a corner and are having trouble msg me and I’ll try to help. The 300 is one of my favorite old engines!
Ben
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 10:55pm
alot can be done with that engine ijust want to put an hei on my engine and a two barrel
RP Farms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RP Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 7:57am
I had an 83 F 250 and an 84 F 150 each with a 300 I-6 and they were factory carbureted engines.  
IF I had the 83 still I would look into adding a turbo onto it, I have seen videos of it done and it really woke the engine up... but that truck left my ownership in '97 and later got traded in during the cash for clunkers campaign.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 8:18am
A turbocharged and intercooled 300 six was a real horse under the hood of a pickup. Did exactly that working with a gent that pulled horses and once the 460 let go the second time, we built this engine. I have a friend in the turbocharging business and he mapped the needs and that engine easily outpulled the 460 and got a lot better economy pulling a 3 horse slant trailer.

Now to be fair, the transmission was also changed from the B-W T-18 four speed to a Fuller RT-609 using an "Advance Adapter's" kit to fit the engine and transmission together. A little floor modification was needed for fitment but the center section in those cabs unbolted. Behind that was installed at a later time a "GearVendor's" overdriven unit, but I was not involved in that conversion. The truck was a 1984 F-350 four door with some "western" package installed and had custom interior that was nice for the time.

The transmission kept the engine right in the powerband it needed where I don't think the original four speed B-W unit would have as the gear spread would have been too wide. The engine had a four barrel Holley carburetor installed and worked well but it was a balanced package.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 8:36am
WOW!!! that must some truck!! Obviously, that is further than son intends to get into..but thanks..
Matt Tallant View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Tallant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2024 at 6:22pm
I have a 86 F250 inline 6 with factory carburetor
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2024 at 9:25pm
1983 F150 w 300 6 cyl was carburetor not sure when the switch came. 
 1990 F150's were all computerized fuel systems. 
 We had a 3 '83 F150 at work they were replaced in '90.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2024 at 8:23am
Check out www.fordsix.com for more information than you will ever care to read about the greatest Ford engine ever built.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2024 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Driverdan Driverdan wrote:

I know this is not A/C, (I have a WC, 2 WD45's and a D17 if that helps)....Can anyone tell me if a 1984 Ford F150 with a 300 cu in 6 has a carburetor, or one of those throttle body things? Thank you... Dan

The 84 had the DFC (Dreaded Feedback Carburetor) which wasn't one of Ford's "Better Ideas". By combining a computer with a carburetor it took all of the worst characteristics of both carburetors and fuel injection and created a system that kinda-sorta worked barely ok when it was new and when things started to wear it is nigh unto impossible to keep running properly. Ford only used it for a few years before they mercifully killed it and went to a pure EFI system.

The Dreaded Feedback Carburetor system can be readily converted back to a pure carburetor for simplicity if desired (you must swap out the distributor too).
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2024 at 11:42am
Les, thank you for that swap-back information...that may come in handy..thanks...Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic