This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off road diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off road diesel
    Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:22pm
Any of you run off road diesel in your tractors? I was wondering if it was worth the few cents a gallon in savings to use it in my Hindu Ford (Farmtrac 35).
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:33pm
Are you talking farm diesel, I think the only difference is the coloring and no highway tax.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:16pm
I think our diesel price dif is over .49 cents a gallon now. off road diesel here is the same as farm diesel. but don't gits caught with it in your diesel vehicles.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:08am
It's not much cheaper here, about .15 cents per gallon, adds up over the year though.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:17am
I had 275gal tank filled up two weeks ago and both 200s while they were here paid $2.39 a gallon. On road was $3.09 this morning. The biggest problem I have is the neighbors come by and fill up and I stuff the money in my pocket but then wonder where all my fuel is going. Also noticed I am more prone to running tractors more when I have the big tank there and don't have to run to the store to fill small cans up. Between me and the neighbors I fill up the big tank twice a year.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 5:14am
All Off road diesel is, is heating oil+red dye.  My lil kubotas don't notice the difference...Wink
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:13am
Same fuel, different color dye, have always run it in my Ford and Massey, all it’s for is to help the fuel police
Catch people not paying road tax. I don’t go to the big ag shows like Moultre anymore, put they’d be walking the parking lot checking truck fuel tanks while you were there, If it saves me money on tractor fuel, It’s for me, and station right around the corner sells it.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:05am
I've been stopped by DOT twice thru the years driving to work in my diesel burb. so I never put the off road in any of my vehicles because of the chance. once while I was stopped and being checked, they stopped a neighbor (good neighbor) the same place. they found red diesel in his truck and got kinda excited! I told them I had told him to put dextron tranny fluid (red) in his truck to clean the injectors. I showed them the product in a bottle I had with me. one of the DOT dudes, was a smart a$$ and said if it's so good, I should put it in my burbs diesel tank, in which I opened the cap and poured it in! they took another sample of mine and it showed up red too. we both got off that day! whew! I got a steak dinner out it too!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:11am
There's no difference between off highway and highway fuel except for the dye and tax. New farm tractors have the same exhaust aftertreatment like trucks have now so high sulfur fuel would take out the catalyst and DPF in short order.
I used to have a neighbor who got pinched with red fuel in a semi hauling corn to town. It cost him $10K for fuel tax evasion plus road use tax for the capacity of the tanks. To add insult to injury, the DOT showed up at the farm the following day and nailed him for a straight truck and two pickups all with red fuel. After all fines and court costs he was out well over $40K. My advice on red fuel and trucks, don't do it....
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:13am
yep...yer right Brian. first offense here is $5000. fine, and every time after it doubles from the previous!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:28am
Thanks for the info. There is a store not too far from the church that sells off road plus non ethanol so I will get some this week. I don't have any diesel trucks so no worries there.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:32am
Joe, checking trucks at Moultrie is about as ethical as shooting over a baited field.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:41am
I get fuel for my Massey 230 out of the neighbors tank. Big smile  Think I burned about 20 gallon a year the last 2 years.
 I like to run it near empty in the fall and fill it up with whatever they put in for winter blend in case I have to push snow around.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
macec3(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macec3(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 6:28am
I run the red off road (untaxed) diesel in 2 tractors and a sawmill engine. Rarely buy the highway (taxed) diesel. Tax in Texas is about 40 cents per gallon.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:04am
We get off road 5000 gallons at a time at the farm. all the farm trucks except semis are Gas so no cross fueling. the semi gets fueled when it goes to the elevator the truck stop is just across the road.  a 5000 gal tanker truck lasts through planting and summer tillage' well get another truckload before harvest. the price of offroad is pretty significant when your tractor holds 400 gallons.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic