This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off brand: IH cyclo air planter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off brand: IH cyclo air planter question
    Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:19am
Hi all, ended up with a good shape IH 800 6rw Cyclo Air planter. Anyone in here familiar with using them? My particular question is regarding the dry fertilizer application chart; on the right side it has various speeds but in the description it doesn't make any mention of what they are for. The implication would be the higher the rate the slower you're supposed to drive but in practice is this what people do?

Previous owners experience was you could go faster than these speeds and still get the rate.

I'm working on trying to achieve a higher rate but so far can only find low rate augers, really need the high or extra high ones

Matt
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:48am
For fertilizer, I would think the rate would stay about right, but keep in mind you'd be spinning things very fast.  For seed population and spacing reasons, I'd be more concerned about a max recommended speed then fert rates.

Edited by Tbone95 - 10 Jan 2023 at 9:49am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 5:48pm
At higher rates and higher speeds fertilizer may not flow as fast and it could affect the rate.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:29pm
I ran them 27yrs and liked them.   never used fertilizer boxes 

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 5:36am
Matt, What seed(s) will your IH800 cyclo planter be planting?

In short~All planters share a usual commonality ~ their primary function is seed metering. Seed metering heavily influences each planter’s capabilities for its forward travel speeds. Hence; each planter may also offer various fertilizer/insecticide RATE options (secondary functions)of low, heavy, very heavy that allows operator some flexibility for secondary functions.

So if one begins by selecting best seeding parameters for planter, a BALLPARK travel speed becomes realized. Those parameters usually include; Seed shape/size/population/soil conditions/etc.. ?

Once a DESIRED SEEDing forward travel speed is determined, any SECONDARY FUNCTION may then be dialed in. Regarding your IH800, it offers 3 fertilizer auger choices (low, heavy, very heavy).

Edited by AC7060IL - 11 Jan 2023 at 5:41am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 7:14am
If you think you really need a high rate fert delivery out of your planter, so much so that your fertilizer system speed is trumping your seeding speed, I'd reconsider the fertilizer plan.  Spread 1/3 to 1/2  of the fertility needs and the remainder run through the planter.

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Jan 2023 at 9:59am
Northern Hoser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 2:47pm
Thanks guys, planning on just corn for now, have the right drum and I saw the stand it was putting in was pretty good.

I'm not worried about the seeding rate, I realize especially the cyclo planters are very picky with speeds.

My concern is just the fertilizer; the manual makes no reference at all about speeds and fertilizer (talks a lot about seeding rates and speeds).

The thinking is probably as said that spinning the auger at speeds faster than which the charts were calibrated affect the rates. However, it's just an assumption

I'm trying to find higher rate augers but no luck here in Canada yet... New from CNH they're $250 Cad each, be up to $2k to outfit all 6 rows

100lbs looks doable which is kind of the minimum I'd want, really want 150
Northern Hoser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

Once a DESIRED SEEDing forward travel speed is determined

Aiming at 4mph, a lot of chat on other forums seem to point towards 3.5-4.5mph. beyond that seed spacing becomes tricky.

I got into all this starting with a combine so the planting end is new to me, thanks for all the advice

Matt
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 6:52pm
Planter travel speed is major deal for any setup. Your IH800’s extensive seed pipes(tubes) can offer varying kernel placement because of how each kernel’s irregularities rub pipe-walls on course to furrow. I’d recommend a heavy dose of talc/graphite be mixed into entire seed batch. Cheap measure that can aid better seed slip-ment.

Uniform seed depth in forrow is another huge deal. Something like a keeton firmer really help. Maybe invest in this area for 2023?

Maybe give the planter’s current setup a trial run in 2023? Chances are, if previous owner is local, they may had a good reason for lower rate augers? Whatever ~ Lower rates of 20-25#s of nitrogen starter fertilizer placed 2”deep-by-2”beside corn furrow can give young corn seedlings adequate nutrition without possibly being toxic? Multiple later side-dressings of higher rates can offer better timing for taller plants that have more advanced rooting systems. If a final harvested yield exhibits a yield-to-nitrogen ratio (bushels/#N) near 1.0-0.75, then congratulations on a well balanced program. Less N applied more often usually offers best benefits? Of course weather may dictate otherwise?

Good luck. Please keep us posted as season progresses.

Edited by AC7060IL - 11 Jan 2023 at 7:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic