This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not keeping with the times,,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not keeping with the times,,,,?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:42pm

A buddy came over  to get me to check out The AC on his little truck, and I find where I am kinda behind the times,,,,,,LOL
 Had him turn AC on and clutch never offered to engage, so I hook up the gauges and system shows no pressure.
 I tell him there must be a leak in system, but no idea how big a leak system has and can add some freon and see how long it lasts before system leaks down again,,,,?? He comes back with only one of those small cans of R134. I notice that the discharge port in top of can is different that I remember from a while back. This can has a pre-drilled hole with a |valve looking apparatus inside that hole,,,,??
 I tried hooking up my gauges but the "NEW GENERATION" can could not be punctured to release the freon  into the system,,,????
 Anyone got any ideas,,??
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:46pm
YEP... a few years back they put a CHECK VALVE in the can so all the goody dont leak out when you onlyuse half a can... and they made it SO YOU CANT USE THE OLD can valve/ .... your hose / gauge set will be OK...!!...... Time to Visit NAPA or AMAZON !

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Jul 2024 at 7:55pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:57pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 9:37pm

Well,,Thanks Steve,,, I guess it has been a while that I had not had to use my AC hoses,,,,,LOL
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 10:59pm
You can purchase the cans of refrigerant with a guage, hose, and the fitting on the can. Depending on the size of the a/c system, it may need more than one can.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 6:10am

Hey Lars,,,I was just poking "Fun" at my buddy cause he just bought one little ole can of freon,,,,he's just like most of us poor folk and wanting to do more with less,,,,,Wink
 'sides,,,I told him if he wanted me to add freon to his trk, he gonna have to bring me the special adapter to use the new style cans,,,,PLUS one more can of juice,,,,,Clap
 HMMmmm,,,now,,I'm wondering if the 97 Fords have an orifice tube,,,,as there is a slip  connector on the high side line going to the compressor,,,,??
 Yeah, Lars,,I bought one of those big cans with everything needed,,,and,,,,and,,,I think it was almost $50,,,,,!!!Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 23 Jul 2024 at 6:12am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 1:11pm
Well your still not up with the modern times as our "friends at the government" always wanting to be the "I'm from the government here to help you", guys. Have the newest, latest, and greatest air conditioner juice out for a year or 2 now. I have not delt with it, but would guess an excuss to make buy even more connectors and adapters.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 4:55pm
What is Hilarious is these cans once used to charge a system are taken to a Trash Can, PUNCTURED with an Awl to VENT THE CAN of ANY residual Contents, waste of time and finances to make them "Leak Proof".
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2024 at 11:56pm
So the New R1234yf is now being updated to another , and fittings for the yf are different than R134 fittings , and if you use just the fittings you need to purge the hoses before changing charge . 
R-454B is the newest refrigerant, which will gradually replace R-410A, the refrigerant used in current HVAC manufacturing. R-454B is a blend of R-32, a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC), and R-1234yf a hydrofluoroolefin (HFO). R-454B has a lower GWP than previous refrigerants, meaning it has a much lower climate impact.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic