This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new to me d17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to me d17
    Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 3:05pm
Hello there I have a few ??s on a new to me d17 that i baught today this is my first d series tractor First question is its serial # is 39xxx and i was wondering what series it is according to my ch wendel  book its a 1962 second question is for the transmission what type and quanity of oil does it take and third what type of oil does the hyd system take hytrans will work I assume any help to any of these questions whould be greatly appreciated thank you
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 3:22pm

According to Norm Swinford, yes, it is a 1962, which would be a series 2. 

Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 6:41pm
thanks for the reply greg I still need to know how much transmission oil it takes because the guy I baught it from let the shifter boot get bad and let water get in so its real milky and I need to change it asap just dont know what how much oul to put in it
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 6:46pm
the manual for my series 4 says the transmission takes 24 quarts.  I know the trannies are a hair different but should give you a good place to start. 
JimNEIN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimNEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:12pm
My series 2 manual says 24 quart also.It takes hydraulic oil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic