This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'new' road runoff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'new' road runoff
    Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:34am
Well I'm having 'fun' up here. Last week City redid my road(1st time in 60+ years) , instead of a REAL paving job ,they tossed tar,gravel,tar,gravel on top and rolled it a bit. 1st rainstorm a LOT of 'muddy water' ran into the garden ,cept it's NOT dirt muddy but toxic tar residue from the roadwork. I've contacted 8 'guv depts'..no response. Talked to a well respected hazmat remediation guy,says it IS toxic and if the city won't clean it up, he'll do it (fully licensed in Canada) and send them the bill. One guv guy did call back had NO IDEA we're all on wells out here.
Going to be real fun come winter when the snowplows start shovelling up the 'road' ! It's already potholly, washboards ,etc.
Road crew NEVER used a level,laser or tape measure...probably accounts for the LAKE at the end of my driveway.sigh......
It'll be intersting to see if the local media come out, I invited the TV guys to come, film during a good rain, hmm raining now.....
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:11pm
Once the TV crew gets it on the evening news and says it is toxic the guv heads will get off their arse and start making excuses and passing the buck. Any paving job will not hold up if it is not put down on a good base. I bought some asphalt millings and put on the driveway at the farm and it has done great but it wouldn't hold up to a snow plow.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:20pm
Asphalt millings will hold up to snow plow under the proper installation. First as any road or driveway must have good drainage and base. Then the millings must be spread and compacted so as to not have low spots to collect water. As for your road Jay the government bureaucracy in charge was cutting costs and corners. Don't let up give them hell and make them fix their screw up!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 1:19am
our county road dept took out our driveway into our one 80 acre fields, that driveway has been there over 50 years. I flagged down the road grader operator that was driving by and asked him what the deal was? he said they had to dig it out for drainage (it's on top of the hill), I then told him that if they don't put my driveway back, i'll do it myself and i'm real sure they won't like how I do it! I drove up there a week later and my driveway was back!   
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:59am
The township where our cabin is hooked the metal culvert while grading and pulled up one end of it and left it that way in the middle of our driveway. Called and they replaced it but wanted to charge me. Called again and the treasurer said not to pay until I heard from them again. Never paid and never heard. My neighbor threatened to start his own township if they didn't fix our road. Rather enjoyed the heated discussion. No new township and still crappy road.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 9:17am
geewhiz.. the cityguy came out, TWO in fact ! One says he'll fix my driveway ,the other is bringing an 'environmetal engineer' out today. THAT should be fun....
Ideally I'd like to see them dig and install 340' of culvert, a catch basin and french drain to get THEIR water through my land and into THEIR catch drain on the next road that feeds into a famous  creek . This instead of the flooding of my garden every moderate rainstorm.
Oh well.... it's entertaining..
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic