This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member with Obscure Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthLouisiana121333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member with Obscure Questions
    Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 1:09pm
Hi, new member here in South Louisiana.

Please have some patience with me, as I have never used a forum before. I did some searching on this forum site for the questions I have and did not find what I was looking for. 

I purchased a restored 1952 AC B high crop Thomson Conversion literally two days ago. The guy that restored it did a really bang-up job on it. I've always been interested in antique tractors and couldn't pass it up. Mainly wanted it to pull a trailer for parades and to pull a single plow. This tractor came with the wishbone bracket but did not come with a draw-bar hitch or any implements. I am thinking that I either want to set it up for a 1940's style plow to pull or for a hand lift plow that has the lever near the operator. 

I have come across some original drawbars with mounts on eBay and am surprised how expensive they are. $350-500! These still need sanding and painting. So, I am wondering if there are any people out there who make and sell reproductions of these setup's...? I've checked Steiner and Tony's Tractors but all they have are the 3-point setups. 

Secondly, I am wondering if any of you know what the purpose of the L-shaped bracket is that is mounted directly behind the fuel tank. I looked at pictures of restorations online and I see that some didn't have this piece, and some did have it, and some had some other variation of it, however, I never see anything mounted to it or it serving any purpose really. 

Pics included in this post for visual reference. 

Thanks, in advance for all of your insight!

Edited by SouthLouisiana121333 - 07 Apr 2024 at 2:24pm
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 2:04pm
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking B.
This section is more for smaller lawn mower.
You will get great conversation if you post this in the farm equipment section. Good luck and again welcome to forum
SouthLouisiana121333 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthLouisiana121333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 2:23pm
Thanks!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 4:19pm
there were a couple variations in the gas tank.. Originally it sat in the saddle and the  wide strap went across the front half and held it on.... later years also had a small strap in the back pointed at the seat, and one bolt that went thru it to that little bracket..

on the drawbar... you have the MAIN U shape unit on the tractor... The e-bay part you show is a swinging addition that you can add to  the MAIN U unit... You really dont need a SWINGING drawbar for pulling the plow for show.. you can sometimes attach the plow directly to the center hole of the MAIN U unit... or get a short extension plate and bolt that on if you need to get the hitch further back..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 4:27pm
here is a photo of an old wheel plow with rope trip.. You can see it is attached to the swinging drawbar...

Below that photo is an "adaptor plate" that you can buy or have local shop burn out of a 3/8 inch plate... The front 3 holes line up with your MAIN U drawbar... the 1 inch hole at the back is for the pin hitch to your plow.

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Apr 2024 at 4:28pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic