This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Holland 268 baler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigreavley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Holland 268 baler
    Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 12:30pm
Bought a NH 268 baler and it is baling croocked bales. lacking hay on the left side of bale. I adjusted the feeder finger penetration into the bale chamber like the mannual says, and it is still making croocked bales. The actual length of string is 2 inches shorter on the left side. What determines string length on a 268. I now have 2 of these balers and one misses ties, and the other makes slanted bales. Please Help??
Sponsored Links

Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 12:52pm
Been awhile since I worked on any balers, but if memory serves if the bale is crooked you have more pressure on one side of the chamber than the other, someone must have either tightened down one side or loosened up the screws on the other so there is no resistance when the plunger compresses. I say its been a while but I dont remember anything that determined string length just bale size and it wasnt adjustable from side to side. I dont recall if the NH had a spring that the adjuster screwed into but it maybe you broke the spring.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:27pm
Try driving faster or bigger windrows.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:57pm

There is also 3 hay dogs that are held dow with springs that keep the bale tight when the plunger retracts. Look under the knotters and you will see them just above the bale chamber. The spring is probably broke on one of them....happened to our hayliner 268

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:01pm
How are your feeder forks that bring hay from the pickup over to the bale chamber?  Ours used to act like yours until we replaced the worn down forks with new ones.
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:56pm
Mine will make crooked bales if I feed it on the left side of the pick up. Feed in the center or right side and it makes straight bales.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:14pm
Did you adjust the feeder arm up front right behind the flywheel?
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

<FONT style=": #000000">There is also 3 hay dogs that are held dow with springs that keep the bale tight when the plunger retracts. Look under the knotters and you will see them just above the bale chamber. The spring is probably broke on one of them....happened to our hayliner 268

I agree with Don. Happened on my 273.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:19pm
Check your bale wedges and resistor plates. HTH Tracy Martin
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:08pm
I'd bet it's got a broken spring like Don says. My 270 did the same thing then over the past couple years my cousin's 66 and a friends 68 both had the same problem and I told them about those springs and sure enough that was the fix for each.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
wjkrostek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjkrostek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
If you think it's the baler and not the way you feed it.  It wouldn't take to much time to take the whole knottier assembly off a put it on the one that makes good bales.  If nothing else you will know what the problem is and can work from there.  but you will be making bales while you think about it.
Teddy (punchie) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy (punchie) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:44pm
Hi Craig

Sounds like everyone has covered most of the ideas.  But here is what I do to the 444 AC baler, make sure the rows are about 1/3 to no larger than 1/2 of baler pickup. Too large and it make all type of diffent bales, if i do bale huge rows (full bale pickup) I drop the d-19 into low and go very slow, normaly I bale in 2nd high or 3rd low 3-5 MPH.  So slow your ground speed down.  Next I do as was posted, feed mid to right side of the pickup. If things are total mess I clean out the bale chamber and set the springs and start over. Normal setting for cutting and tighten about 4 turn tighter on the longer side.  Bale lenght is controled by the star wheel ( not sure what type of wheel the 268 had) and string is controled by the bale tension pulling from the twine box.  As stated : The bale stop spring need to be looked at.  The feed rakes timing, and timing of them to the ram.  If I recall there are about three places on the spocket teeth that can be used to set feed rakes, alway turn it be hand to make sure in is in time, costly to replace feed rakes if I recall.

Why is you other baler not knotting?  If would message me and I'll try to help you fit them.

Teddy
Ac D-19, a Number of WD's, One WD45, Two 444 balers, Ac plows and etc.
jjwo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:21pm
I tried everything on JD too. Nothing helped - put new restrictor plates in and it was fixed. Not expensive either if I remember right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic