This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy with some questions on HD-6G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy with some questions on HD-6G
    Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 11:21pm
Hi all.  Found this forum from a google search I did to help out a customer of mine.  Her late husband had a HD-6G loader that he got and had started working on.  I don't know a whole lot about the machine other than at some point prior to his death, it was running and it drove to the farm.  It appears that the left side clutch pack? had been removed and is on the bench in the quanset shop.  There is a loader bucket on the front currently and what appears to be a dozer blade in the yard.
The SN is 5230....I'm guessing that to be roughly a 1956-57???? 

I am wondering if this machine should be put back together, parted out, or (gasp) scrapped out.  I really am not knowledgeable in tracked loaders like this to give her an idea of what the value would be from it.   from the looks of it, it was rarely-if ever- shedded or covered.  The body is a bit rough and needs to be painted...(rust and old yellow).    No ROP.  At minimum, it should have the fuel tank reinstalled and find a battery to see if it still turns over and/or will start.  I suppose I could eventually figure out how to assemble the clutch and install it with some help to lift it back in place in the Spring... 
Any advice would be helpful.  Any info I learn is taken straight back to the owner for her to decide what to do with it.
Sponsored Links

Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 9:55am
Shame to scrap it. Were good machines. Condition of undercarriage is key. Steering clutches can be rebuilt-been there done that. Lots of knowledge on this forum. Any pics and where are you located? If the dozer blade is just the blade it was designed to fit on where the bucket attaches (it was an option).
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 11:03am
24V system so 2- 12V batteries , steering clutches the same as HD5 , undercarriage is the key to what to do as is the hardest thing to find if worn out . Every part can be replaced on the machine and parts are out there to do it .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
locopny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 11:01pm
thanks for the replies.  Don't really know what I'm looking at as far as the undercarriage goes.  I am capable of inspection, but don't know what to look for.  I can take the info to the owner and let her decide.  Its in North Dakota.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:01am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
locopny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 11:22pm
I  got some info on why the steer clutch was removed...bearings in need of replacement.  Last ran in about 1996-7 it is thought. 

I haven't been out there to check it out with that cool gauge that Coke-in-MN posted yet...Thanks BTW.  Deer season is getting in the way.  may get the chance to check it out middle of next week.  If I can remember-I'll take a couple photos.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 8:37pm
You should advertize and see if there is anyone within trucking distance that wants it as a project. It is a shame when an HD6 gets scraped. Some people enjoy rebuilding old machinery see if you can find such a person. When it comes to the cost of such a repair most times it is more ecconomical to pay more and get a working machine but for people like me it is the restoration that makes it worth while. I just told my wife that I bought my 3rd HD6G and she is still speaking with me
locopny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 11:15pm
I know she isnt interested in having me put it together and make it run.  Seems like that would cost plenty and probably not a payback when sold.  I know its tough to say without seeing photos of it...but roughly what is something like this worth? (partially disassembled, currently not in running shape, most likely some worn undercarriage parts)  Should be able to get roughly $1300 from scrap I'd think if it weighs around 8 tons.
The season is over Sunday and I should be able to get out there in the day light to snap a couple photos.  
Where is a good place to advertise something like this?  Construction related equipment sites?  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 11:25pm
Thill Track and Tractor in Eau Clare WI is a breaker (parts place) for heavy equipment , they might be someone to contact on price or buying .
 Several other such places around also . Northern Tractor in Osseo MN was a place I have bought parts from. In parting it the track might be worth the price you said for scrap if it is good as it will fit HD5 as well as IH crawlers.  
locopny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 5:51pm
haven't forgotten about this deal here...gonna start in again after a bit. Had me put it on the back burner until now.
locopny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2015 at 10:23pm
found my log in information again....still have this and it gets more complete the longer it goes on cleaning up around the farm.
using that once posted track gauge....the tracks are pretty worn.  Been too long to remember just how much exactly.

I start to contact places to break this down for keeping others living or someone with some interest in building a project.

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 4:11am
Where in ND are you located? Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 9:25pm
was just someone on here that was working on HD6 trany - here is a good chance to get a unit to replace the bad one - 
locopny View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locopny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Where in ND are you located? Darrel

South of Jamestown about 70 miles.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic