This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 190XT (to me)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 190XT (to me)
    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:20am
Good morning. I have been lurking around this forum for a couple months now gathering information while shopping tractors. Last month I bought a 190XT that had been sitting in the weeds for a while. It ran, but had to be started on ether and the solenoid had to be jumped. She is a pretty sorry mess right now, there is an extra set of battery cables wired right to the starter and grounded to the frame next to the tractor. You set your batteries on the ground next to the tractor, jump the solenoid, disconnect your batteries, and drive off. Poking around under the dash found a bunch of melted wires and looking around the tractor I see a lot of wires twisted together with no insulation. Thinking I should start at the basics and rewire the whole thing, starting with the start/preheat circuit and do the lights later. Most of them are broke off anyway. I am new to farm tractors, worked on my own cars, trucks, small engines, etc. Bought it pretty cheap as it also had rear flat tire with a fairly large rust hole around the valve stem. Conquered my first tractor tire repair though. Derusted the rim, welded a patch, and put in a new tube.
 I do have a question regarding the preheater. Hooked a battery up to the solenoid on the manifold preheater side and in 30-45 seconds it was pretty hot. To those of you that have them, how well do the intake manifold preheaters work? Should I also install a block heater? Just want to get her started and hopefully not have to use starting fluid every time. Reading around on the forum I understand NOT to use ether and the preheater at the same time. 
 The tractor has lots of little things that need to be worked on but overall it seems like a good machine; runs, drives, and brakes work. Already used it to move some round bales (used to push them by hand, not fun). I would like to get it running right though and keep it around for the long haul. Thanks for all the knowledge being shared on this forum!    
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Sponsored Links

DaveWisc. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveWisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:31am
Pre heater works good as long as not to cold out. As far as temperature maybe 0 or so but if you want it to start good tank heater is best and plug it in for a couple of hours and it will start easy . This all depends on how good the engine is as far as blow by it needs good compression to start.
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:51am
You might have some luck by holding in pre heater and turning it over without fuel on for 10 seconds. Then with heater on start turning it over and then pull the fuel rod on while turning in over.

J Carlson
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:56am
I restored my XT about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. Although mine did not have the wiring issues to the extent of yours I did replace and repair quite a bit of wiring. Always disconnect batteries when working behind the dash. Any metal object in your hands like a wrench touching a ground and a bare connection will do some nasty damage.
As said above, the pre heater does work pretty well but I really wish I had installed a block heater. Below 30 degrees it takes several cycles for her to start. Plus, it’s much easier on the starter, batteries, and engine if the engine, oil, and antifreeze are warm. They are one of the best AC built in my opinion.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:01pm
I have an older Series I 190xt and the installation of a block heater required removing the casting plug.  If you have a new 190xt then the block heater already has a port available and is super easy to install.  If you have the older one, I can send you a link to my fix. 

Do a serial number lookup to determine your year.  Agco has a parts book available as a Guest login that you can lookup where the models break and what parts work and don't work.  As you make your fixes always go there.

I love my block heater.  After an hour, don't have to use the manifold heater.  It also causes less stress on your starter with fewer cranks. 

Wiring issues can drive you crazy so good luck.  You have a sweet tractor in my opinion.  Welcome to the forum and if you properly describe your problem, there is lots of help!

Be good to see a picture, if you can, but to post you have to reduce the resolution.

80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:29pm
Thanks everyone. Although I live in Tennessee and it doesn't get real cold it sounds like a block heater may just be good preventative maintenance. I do like the tractor so far. I knew it was a project when I got it and made my offer with a rebuild on the injector pump in mind. The rubber grommets on the fuel return line are just about gone so it does leak some fuel. The little hand primer pump was replaced with an inline electric pump, I am sure there are other issues lurking under some of the fixes.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 1:40pm
According to serial number breakdown I have a 1966 model. From what I have read that is an early model that does not have the provisions for a block heater, correct this newbie if he is wrong. I would be interested in your link calico190xt68. Thanks for all the help. Right now I am just fixing little things and figuring out what I need to prioritize to be fixed. I am glad my preheater works but it sounds like a block heater is the way to go.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:30pm
Here is the long and sordid tale of what I did.  I failed the first time and had a bad leak.  Started over with a different block heater and all has been good since.  That was a couple of years ago and no leaks.  I hope your casting plug is not oblong like mine was.  It was still worth the trouble since it starts so easy now even in sub-zero weather.  If you are putting out round bales with it every week, it needs to start faithfully.  Cows can't wait until spring for round bales.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
LYNNMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LYNNMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:54pm
I have had tractors with wiring issues found the best correction was to order a whole kit made up for a particular tractor with proper size wire and connections

Lynn
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
More info please !! Is it a flat topped fender machine or a sloped fender machine ?? Post the serial # !!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:36pm
1966 model year would be the old full skirted fenders.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
Keep the manifold heater on and count to 100.  It will start for sure.  Works for me in Canada's winter!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:27pm
The serial number is 11535. I will upload pictures this weekend, the ones I have are too large and I am not sure if I can resize from my phone.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:36am
Figured out how to resize pictures on my computer. Any observations based on the pictures? My son pressure washed most of the barnacles and collected leaves from the crevices off the tractor for me. I have the tire fixed for now; I welded a patch on the rim, cleaned the inside rim to bare metal, and put a new tube in the tire. Keeping my eyes open for some good 34 inch rims. I didn't put fluid in the tire, it has some weights on it and I don't do heavy pulling so I figured that would be ok. The other rim is going to need some attention soon as the area around the valve stem has some corrosion that is eroding away the metal. I will get a picture of the "clean" tractor with the repaired tire this weekend. Calico190xt68, I bought the Zero Start block heater yesterday after reading your post. It will come Monday and hopefully get that put on the following weekend or the one after that Big smile. Dseries4, glad to hear that the manifold heater works well, if that works for you I am sure our mild Tennessee winters will be no match. I do plan on keeping it maintained for those times when the tractor may not be close to the shop.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 7:38am
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:30am
Looks  to be in pretty good shape for a tractor that had open sky for a shed. Glad someone is giving it a new lease on life.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
Good luck on that block heater fix.  Good news is that the side shield is already uninstalled so you have plenty of room to work to install that block heater above the starter.  Hope you have that side shield.  The metal looks pretty straight and relatively dent free.  Your nose is pretty nice too.  Not sure about that Green air filter.  Wheel weights are nice.  As indicated above, it is in good shape considering it hasn't seen a barn in a very long time.  I am a little shocked that the Injection pump works after sitting so long.  They usually degrade and plastic parts fall apart.  You also probably want to clean the fuel tank, sediment bowls, lines and the primer pump.  I had a bunch of gunk in mine.  If you start using it regularly, then the gunk will eventually stop up your fuel lines.  You have two fuel lines coming out of both sides of the tank too.

I started 4 years ago and am still fixing stuff.  Not sure how bad your valve cover leaks but mine was leaking bad.  Since I fixed that, oil consumption was greatly reduced.  I also replaced the hydraulic rubber hose and stopped a major leak there.  I am leak free at the moment.  I had a new clutch put in mine last year but that fix was out of my league.  Wished I would have had the power director rebuilt when I did that.

Have fun as it can be a long journey, but it is a great tractor once running well.
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 2:53pm
Do not have that side cover, I will have to look around and see if I can find a used one somewhere. Cleaned out the sediment bowl on the right but wasn't aware there was another. I do plan on flushing and cleaning the whole system. The hand primer pump was laying on the deck of the tractor and there is an electric pump in its place. I have read on the forum that they are leak prone. I have seen rebuild kits for them but wonder if I should rebuild the hand primer or leave the electric pump on there. It is just kind of hanging off the tractor so even if I keep it I will need to properly mount it. The little rubber bushings in the return fuel lines are pretty far gone and it drips fuel while running. It also leaks a little from the injector pump, on the front there is a bolt and some fuel oozes out from there. Loosened it up and there is no seal of any kind. Going to flush the fuel lines and get it all sealed up. Don't plan on going to far into it though as far as chasing leaks or problems with the injector pump. If I start running into too much I think I will save the aggravation and pull the pump off and have it worked on. From browsing the forum I have learned that little plastic pieces in the return can signal a failing pump. Any other things to look out for? Runs good when running but it does tend to surge somewhat at idle and there are some air bubbles in the fuel that leaks at the loose return line fittings. Thinking there is some air getting in there from loose fittings. Guess we will see how it runs after getting everything tightened up and cleaned out. Once I get most of the leaks fixed I will park the tractor in the back of my shop so it won't be as exposed to bad weather. Appreciate all the help and advice, I am having fun with this project.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 5:28pm
My injection pump was leaking from the timing mark window.  It ran for about a half of year after I got it.  It eventually started missing out, then it started idling really fast, then erratic and eventually died. Cleaned fuel lines and didn't help.  You might get a year out of it before it will die is my guess assuming it has sat for years.  With the moss on it, I would think it sat a long time.  Others on here know far more about it, but my guess is that the plastic parts have or will disintegrate the more you use it.  They will clog up your injection lines even after you repair the pump if you don't clean them out.  I put a new primer on for about $100 on my tractor this past year and it ran considerably better.  I had already cleaned lines multiple times and had injection pump rebuilt by InjpumpEd (who is the best) and it still helped.  I think those electric pumps are not necessary unless it is masking some other fuel issues that you are having.  My new primer doesn't squirt fuel over me when I prime it either.  If you clean your fuel tank/sediment bowls/lines, stop leaks and a new manual primer, your fuel supply issues will be over with.  You will then be confident it will be an injection pump issue or injection lines , if it starts acting up.  Those are all cheap fixes before you commit to new injection pump as well.  If injection pump goes out and you really need the tractor, it can take several weeks to get it fixed.  That oozing of fuel could also mean that you have a shot seal on the injection pump shaft.  I rolled my seal when reinstalling injection pump and ended up with fuel in the oil pan.  You might check your oil dipstick and see if your oil level is increasing with diesel fuel.  Those loose fittings need to be shored up.  There is a baffle in the fuel tank, and so if you were on a hill sideways and low on fuel, the tractor would get starved of fuel without the 2nd output line.  That's why they have two from what I know.  That baffle creates a big problem cleaning the tank without de-installing it.  You probably should change the front wheel bearings at a cost of about $30 per wheel.  Or at least check them.  One of mine disintegrated and I was lucky the wheel didn't come completely off in road gear.  I am just running down the things that I ran into.  You may have a completely different set of issues in the long run.  I do work my tractor as a bale mover, raking tractor and small square baler tractor and I think that is good for it, but it has broken at some bad times.  I start it once a week and move during winter to keep batteries up and fuel rotated through the injection pump.  I believe I read in original manual that they should be started once every 3 weeks at a minimum to avoid trouble.  As others have said, glad to see the rescue of another orange tractor!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:42pm
The primer pump can be rebuilt but I decided to replace mine with one from Agco. Everyone has an opinion but unless its a proven improvement to a problem I always replace with factory parts as it was engineered for. And I am referring to the electric pump. Since these 190’s came from the factory gravity fed that’s how I would put it back. It has worked well for 52 years on mine so they knew how to design them. Ed would be best to answer if excessive pressure from a electric fuel pump causes issues in these injection pumps. Of course we are talking about farm applications and not Ed’s AC pulling tractors lol. As said above, clean fuel delivery is so important. If it was me, I would drain the tank of fuel. Look well with a flashlight or boom camera to see what the tank looks like empty through the filler neck. If it has grime that a power washer can remove then disconnect both fuel lines, unscrew fuel bowls from the tank and insert it through the fuel neck moving the wand in as many directions possible to clean the inside of the tank. Continue to clean and rinse well. If its rust, then that requires a different approach. It Is much easier to do with the tank off.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
I totally agree with ac720man on his recommendations.
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:55pm
Going to drain the fuel system for sure and seal up the lines. Was going to start on it today but the day just got away from me and then the rain started. The electric fuel pump doesn't run all the time, just when starting, like a primer pump. But I do think it was probably put on because the old hand primer leaked or because the fittings on the fuel system aren't all tight. I think you are both right though, I will run into town this week and see if my agco dealer can get me a pump. Thank you.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:17pm
Hey there!

I myself just picked up a 1969 190XT III. I guess I'll have to (online) stalk you a bit to watch your progress with yours!

Best of luck with everything!
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:17am
Hello! I do like mine very much. A lot of good information from good people on this forum. I will be working on mine some more this weekend. So there will be more pictures and questions lol. Even after all the neglect mine is still a workhorse though. Getting some things done around my small acreage that normally would use up my back.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:48pm
Very nice! I'm really glad it's still working so well after seemingly years of neglect! That's impressive!
pirlbeck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:01am
Hopefully you have already addressed this issue, but starting the tractor from the ground by jumping the starter solenoid is a good way to get yourself killed. This should be the first thing that gets repaired, even if it is a temporary repair with a couple of wires and a push button start switch that you can operate from the tractor seat.
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:14pm
I received my electrical parts this week and plan on working on addressing the starting and charging circuit this coming weekend. Got a new key switch, push button starter switch, and light switch. Also had a new battery cable and grounding straps on hand.
 This past weekend I sealed up all the fuel lines, those little rubber sleeves were more than I expected. But they seem to work well now that they are in. Getting those old ones out was a real pain, they were really stuck up in there. Drained the tank and it didn't look too bad in there. Cleaned out both sediment bowls and replaced the gaskets and little screens too.
 My AGCO dealer didn't have a primer pump for sale but they did have a rebuild kit. I will work on getting that fixed and put back on the tractor instead of the Holley racing pump that is on there. Can someone post a picture of where there primer pump is located and how it is mounted? Thanks all.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:41pm

The pump is to the left of the fuel filter. Round knob with wire retainer. I replaced it before I painted the tractor so it is a little difficult to see.

Edited by AC720Man - 09 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:49pm
AC720Man, thank you. That is a very sharp looking tractor you have there. Hope to get caught up enough mechanically on mine to consider a paintjob.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic