This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help working on D14 forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help working on D14 forklift
    Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:29pm

Got a D14 forklift that power steering doesent work. How do you check pressure make an adapter? It has a D15 pump. Spindles are loose and greased and oil (ATF) is above the big gear. I jacked the front end off the ground so no weight was on it and it still wont work.

Edited by SteveMaskey(MO) - 08 Dec 2023 at 6:14pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:38pm
With engine running, you should see oil flowing looking in the fill hole. No oil movement, means bad pump. No pressure test needed.
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 5:43pm
OK Doc I will check it out tomorrow.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 6:07pm
please edit post as it's not 'junk' !!!
If you really think it is, please haul it to me, for free..... I think it's GREAT !!!!Big smile
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 6:15pm
There you go Jay. Is that better?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 4:08pm
Doc, not much flow at idle but good flow at half throttle but no power steering
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 4:51pm
If no noise when trying to turn, and the oil flow continues (two people to do this), I'd suspect the control valve spool is stuck. Tried to turn BOTH ways, right ??? because one way power and the other way no power is a broken rack pin.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 5:11pm
yes I tried both ways and it makes no noise. I will have to get help to check flow while turning.  Thanks for the help
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 4:00am

Well I got the power steering working (sorta). The front casting is egg shaped so much that the steering arm is resting on the axle pin so it still doesn’t steer good. Looks like I will be taking the frontend off and putting a new bushing in. Is that cast iron or cast steel? What kind of rod would you use to weld with a stick welder?

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 6:15am
Can't tell you. I would use a light blue flux rod I call super-rod which is made for dissimilar metals like cast/cast steel. I always said I could weld wood to plastic using that rod. Not cheap but good stuff.  It never needs to be chipped off as it cleans itself when cooling.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 8:17am
the main problem welding on a casting is OIL contamination.. Wash it 4 times with solvent or gasoline, then do it again and wire brush.. Impregnated oil will be the welding problem.. Use your torch or propane bottle to warm up the area to 200 degrees.. That help bake off the oil, and "warm" cast welds much better.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic