This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help with d17 rear lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help with d17 rear lift
    Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 7:20pm

I recently baught a 1963 series 2 d 17 and for some reason the rear lift on this tracor works really slow and i was wondeing if there was a way to adjust the flow of oil or if I have bigger problems it works super slow and theres not much pressure behind it because i can push the lift arms down with my hands any help or ideas on where to start whould be great thanks

Sponsored Links

D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 7:56pm
Is the oil level low in the torque tube and high in the rear end? If so then you likely have a blown hose in the rear end going to the cyl. or a packing ring on the cyl. blown.

There can be several problems inside the pump itself but look for the simple things first.
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:45am
Thanks dave I also forgot to mention that it also has a seprate auxilary valve for the remotes on the back and when I pull it both ways it makes the arms come up I dont know why it does it because its for the rear remotes and sometimes the arms come up and I cant push them down I dont know whats wrong with it
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 6:16am
Like Dave said, check hydraulic fluid level and then try it for awhile again and recheck.  You could be loosing it with the hose or the ram.  Hopefully it's the hose, but you still have to take the two point lift mechanism off of the rear end to get at the hose and change it out. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 6:28am
Disconnect the auxiallary valves and it will work fine. Maybe unhook the hose plugging into the standard remote outlet??
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:53am

Mine has a quick disconnect to the auxillary valve to make this easier....

ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:35pm

this is my set up its got a shutoff coming of the transport valve it doesnt matter if its open or closed the only thing it does is make it so i cant push the rams down when I dont know whats wrong with this thing either way when it does move up its really slow
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 6:57pm
It's not plumbed the way it normally should be....can't see everything from this picture. Usually the oil is pumped thru the steel line to the Transport valve, so get rid of that "tee" and connect the elbow back into the side of the Transport valve. Then disconnect that hand shut-off valve and install a Pioneer female coupler on the rear of the Transport valve which is the outlet. Then the arms should go up and down with the long lever on the steering wheel. To operate the auxillary valve, you then need to plug it into the Pioneer coupler and lock the long steering wheel lever in the "up" window. I assume the aux valve has a line or hose returning the oil to the torque tube under the sediment bowl???? When using the aux valve your pressures will be limited to 2000 to 2200 psi??? or whatever the aux valve relief is set at. The tractor is set for 3700 psi on the lift arms and Pioneer coupler outlet. Someone else needs to post a good picture of how this should be plumbed.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 7:17pm
Ok I went out in the rain and took a pic just for you guys.  Here is my D17 SI with the two way valve setup, I think it is factory. In this pic it is set up to use the lift arms, I uncoupled the line from the transport valve and plugged it into a female coupling of the two way valve just so it wouldn't be flopping around.  You can see that the return line from the 2-way valve dumps back into the rear port on the transport valve.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:51pm
OK...so the rear port is the return port? then get rid if the shut-off valve and get a Pioneer male nipple in it's place and install a Pioneer female coupler on the rear of the Transport valve and leave it ( the male nipple) unplugged for lift arm use.
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 4:55pm
thanks doctor allis and morton I plugged and removed the hoses for my two way valve because im just going to use snap coupler implements well I did that and now my lift arms came up but now they wont go back down even when I push the the lever down and put all my weight on the arms the lever feels really light olmost like theres nothing there on the end of it in the torque tube I over filled the hyd oil by qiute a bit may this have something to do with it this thing has me really flustered any help or ideas whould be great thanks
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 4:58pm
im sorry thanks eldon in wa miss typed
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 7:00pm
It's permissible to have to pull the lever below horizontal to get arms to go down. Overfilling isn't the problem. May have "hold" valve problems inside, which would require removal of the pump to repair. Before removal of the pump make sure you know what the pressure is...should be 3700 psi maximum, but anything over 3000 is usually enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic