This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need advice on re-mounting a B rear rim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice on re-mounting a B rear rim
    Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:32am
Needing guidance for my 92 year old father in law... he was mowing with his B on a side slope and the rear rim came off the mounts.  He is OK but has become frustrated trying to get the rim back on the hub mounts.  ANY IDEAS OR IS THERE A STEP-BY-STEP FOR THIS ?
He is three hours away from me and I cannot get over there until next week. 

Here's his email to me this from this a.m.

"HEY SON, WELL THERE ARE NOT TOO MANY THINGS I GIVE UP ON IN MY LIFE.  BUT THIS ALLIS RIM AND TIRE HAVE GOTTEN ME BEAT.  I HAVE HAD THE RIM AND TIRE ALMOSTED BOLTED DOWN 5 TIMES TODAY AND THEN IT ALL COMES APART AGAIN.  I AM GONNA TRY TO DO IT ONE MORE TIME IN THE MORNING AND IF I CANNOT GET IT BOLTED DOWN I AM GONNA HAVE TO HAVE SOME HELP.  I MEAN SOME INTELLIGENCE WITH WHAT I AM DOING WRONG.  JUST AS I START TO TIGHTEN THE LUG NUTS UP IT SUMP OFF THE RIM LUGS NUTS AGAIN.  I SPENT 9 HOURS ON THAT THING TODAY AND I AM JUST GIVE OUT.  GOT ANY IDEAS ?  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?  DO YOU KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO TO KEEP THE RIM IN PLACE WHILE I AM TIGHTENING THE BOLTS?

I ALSO BLEW OUT AN O RING ON MY FLOOR JACK.  SPENT 2 HOURS  GETTING THAT FIXED.  AM A LITTLE DISCOURAGED WORKING ON THAT LITLE TRACTOR SO LONG WIHTOUT ANY PROGRESS.

WE GOT A LITTLE RAIN TODAY AND IT IS SUPPOSED TO RAIN THE REST OF THE WEEK.  THAT GRASS WILL START GROWING AND I NEED MY ALLIS IN WORKING ORDER.  I MAY HAVE TO USE THE LITTLE LAWNMOWER IF PUSH COMES TO SHOUVE.  LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I AM DOING WRONG.  THANKS, PAW.

Edited by cdon_FL - 16 May 2018 at 9:44am
Chris in NE Florida
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:50am
eccentric bolts worn and not holding?
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:02am
Should be covered in the operator's manual which I don't have but may be over on:
http://grandpas-tractor-site.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/ac
Might be mentioned in the shop manual:
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf
Maybe the military IB manual covers the same type of rear rim mounting on page 48:
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf

Gerald J.

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:27am
Tighten the two non eccentric wedges. One of them must be in the drive lug. The lug that has stops welded on both ends. Put that one on the top and jack the tractor up so the rim is hanging on that wedge. The two ecctrentics should be loosely installed with the long arm of the cross on the head pointed towards the center of the wheel. Align them with the lugs while the tire and rim are hanging in the air. Once all four lugs Are in the wedges tighten the two eccentric bolts by turning till the long arm of the cross points directly at the rim. Finally tighten the nuts on all four bolts. If the rim isn't tight enough you can cut a soup can and shim between the eccentric wedges and the rim. You abosoutly can't shim the drive lug one the rim will fall off. If you put and eccentric on the drive lug it will fall off. What ever you doo make sure the tractor is well blocked before working on it.
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:56am
Looks like someone has welded a shim on the drive lug.
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 3:56pm
Sounds like they are too worn to hold and need replaced.

bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:31pm
Where is your father-in-law at may be somebody is close enough to help at 92 he doesn't need to be wrestling with a tractor tire please we don't want a bad ending here
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:52pm

Dave has it right... Put one of the NON ADJUSTABLE wedges on the hub and set at the TOP... then roll the tire over to the tractor and position it on the hub, with the two STOPS on the rim around the top WEDGE... I use a floor jack to raise and lower the tractor an inch so I NEVER pickup the tire myself..... just roll it over the hub and then jackup the tractor........... once the tire and rim and hanging on the hub, put the other 3 clamps on the hub... you FIXED wedge is at 12 oclock.. put the other at 3 oclock.. Two of the wedges have eccentric bolts so they  run off a cam... put them at 6 and 9 oclock..  Rotate the bolt heads on the 6 and 9 oclock clamps so they swivel OUT on the cam and tighten the rim... hold in place and tighten the nuts......... if they spin all the way around, they are worn out.... then use a shim as the guys said, or weld a couple beads on the inside of the clamp to get it tighter when you rotate the cam bolt.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic