This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nearly 300,000 VW diesels are sitting in lots acro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nearly 300,000 VW diesels are sitting in lots acro
    Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:00pm
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:38pm
boo hoo hoo.... man what a waste of real estate ! The guv should have forced VW to send them back to Germany ! hehehe
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
the absurdity of this is overwhelming! This almost rises to the standards of 'cash for clunkers'!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:32pm
kudoos to the Germans for making a  car that ran good,got great economy and tricked the earth worshipers.Too bad the university kids got too nosey and found em out.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:24pm
just truck them across the border to Mexico and open up a new Car Dealer.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

just truck them across the border to Mexico and open up a new Car Dealer.

Oh you can bet they'll get re-sold in Central/South America
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:59pm
Joe, Steve, that is what I was thinking, and it makes more sense to me than scraping them! surely the eco-footprint created from replacing them would be higher than whatever excess pollution they may cause, which, in fact is becoming more and more in question as to the effects on global weather in any case. This thing, just like Obama cash for clunkers is surreal, completely without logic!
Wait for the Lord;
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:21pm
Still torques my nuts remembering when the EPA mandated equipment began and then increased and changed to increase again, Over and Over and Over. For every device they had the manufacturers install to quell one emissions type another followed worse than the first or just increases in what had been presumed as less a problem to become a problem. The equipment in one year would lead to changes and additions the next then the same the next and so on until the engines were awash in junk mechanisms that never played well together. They would scrap the older designs and start anew only to end up in the same sinking boat all over again, absolutely clueless twits.

Made a comment sort of question to a group of EPA boys giving us the big spiel on diesel exhaust devices, fuel quality changes(Low Sulphur). When asked of fuel economy and the losses expected how could they justify the extra whatever would be released emissions from those tailpipes. The speaker said something of a 'Hostile Audience' refused to answer, gathered their materials and left. At the time 60 series Detroit Diesels were getting well over 9mpg in highway trucks, that dropped back to the previous 5-6mpg, the older 3406 and E series Cats could sneak up to 8mpg, now they are lucky to push 6. All the aerodynamic plastic funnels, air dams, sloping hoods ever did was cost extra and displace freight, wind tunnel tests we had done at Gelco Truck Leasing in the mid 80's could not get out of low flow turbulence until the tunnel air speed was increased to over 110mph, a semi with all the garbage add ons all over it was less aerodynamic than a old Needle Nose Pete or KW.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 10:45pm
When I went to the Colorado State Fair last August, I drove past the race track south of Colorado Springs.  There must have been 5,000 VW's in the parking lots.  Wondered to myself if the keys were in the cars and how good the security was.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:16pm
Dmiller my neighbor has had a trucking company for 45 years. Few years ago I was down in the shop and a salesmen had his ear trying to push some synthetic rear end oil. Saying it would get the truck better fuel mileage. He says to him if I use this oil on top of every other rear, tranny and engine oil, fuel treatment and tires that save fuel mileage this truck would come back at end of day with fuel running out of the tanks. Not saying that some products won't save you fuel mileage. But what he gets for mileage and what each product claims to save. Would be saving more then truck burned.
It does seem to be a waist to not use them cars, the guy is pretty good to come up with that set up.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:25pm
will any of them VW engine adapt to a tractor? lol
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:29pm
Didn't that thing the insurance company's give you to plug in, give them up, after that was plugged in the car ran like crap
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 3:09pm
Shameless they might work on a garden tractor
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:06pm
Article says.
"These vehicles are being stored on an interim basis and routinely maintained in a manner to ensure their long-term operability and quality, so that they may be returned to commerce or exported once U.S. regulators approve appropriate emissions modifications."

Is this stating that unless these vehicles meet approved emissions, they may have to be scraped?

Wouldn't surprise me.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:37pm
And here we sit worrying about how many guns kill kids in America.
HOW many more are killed by cars??
HOW many are killed by cars driven by the idiots screaming about guns in America?  Or using their phones while driving?  You don't hear squat about that.....

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year
    An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
    Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year
    Nearly 8,000 people are killed in crashes involving drivers ages 16-20
    Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person
    Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad

Shouldn't we be banning CARS?? Instead of GUNS??!!??!!

OR, just banning IDIOTS from driving, ages 16-25?

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Article says.
"These vehicles are being stored on an interim basis and routinely maintained in a manner to ensure their long-term operability and quality, so that they may be returned to commerce or exported once U.S. regulators approve appropriate emissions modifications."

Is this stating that unless these vehicles meet approved emissions, they may have to be scraped?

Wouldn't surprise me.

I don't believe it explicitly states that, I was reading between the lines. First, I doubt VW wishes to flood the market with them, but, even if that is not an issue, and returning them to the market after retrofit, it would have been better, I would think to have the individual dealers handle the storage and resale.
However, this may all be moot, and maybe VW knows it. It is possible our dear EPA may never let them return.

True story, I worked for a fortune 500 company for a long time. The company was often at odds with the all-powerful governing body, similar to the EPA. Finally, right or wrong the company allegedly cut a corner and the "ABC" administration took them to court, and the company was fined $500million. But what was worse the products that were supposedly not properly certified were taken from the market until recertified. But the "ABC" administration would never recertify them, each time they were submitted for approval some detail was found, an i not dotted, or t not crossed the application was rejected and the process had to be started all over, a process that took about 6-12 months. That was years ago, I eventually separated ways with the company, or, visaversa, and the last I heard those products never went back on the market! The "ABC" guys was making a point!
They were the boss! what they said goes!
And that is what I see possibly happening here. Those cars may become orphans as a result of the government bullying and become railroad rails, or rebar
Wait for the Lord;
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

kudoos to the Germans for making a  car that ran good,got great economy and tricked the earth worshipers.Too bad the university kids got too nosey and found em out.

My feelings as well. I never have had a want of a little car but all this fussing has kinda made me want one of the polluting ones. 
Cernunnos View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cernunnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 1:24pm
I have a 2005 VW Passat Turbo diesel with the 1.9L PD engine.  I love that car..it has 325000 and I still get 43 MPG.  I had two siblings that had newer versions and VW bought them back.   I sure wish I could have the keys to the gate lock where all those VW diesels are located.  I'd be calling the Allis Express with a lot of hauling jobs!  
1951 CA, 1952 CA with cultivator, 20 Series 8' disc harrow, 2 bottom pick-up plow, forage blower, 2-row rear mounted drill corn planter, Allcrop grain drill, No. 80T sickle mower, MN No. 130 barge box
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

will any of them VW engine adapt to a tractor? lol

I know that one will fit under the hood of my old Toyota truck! Wink
D15 Series II
Leon n/c AR. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon n/c AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:09pm
Those cars will probably end up in Mexico or further south or in Cuba. Wish I had a couple of them. Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic