This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My lincoln Weld-Pac 175 HD,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My lincoln Weld-Pac 175 HD,,,,,
    Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 9:29pm

Well, I figured this would come up sooner or late. I copied ole Steve(ILL) on his modified 2 wheel dolly/cart to use for transporting his mig welder.
 I used a heavy duty one from Harbor Freight dolly and also modified it to carry my Lincoln Weld-Pac 175 HD plus the CO2 bottle. Well, everything was hunky dorry until I bumped the torch  that was sticking out forward a bit much and now am worried the wand is gonna get bumped enough to tear it up The wand "CURVE" now sets 26" in front of the cart!!
 My question to all the mig welder Guru's is if the welder innards know which position it is in or,,,,does it even care,,,? The wire feed mechanism and the wire spool are adjusted to keep constant pressure on the wire
 What would be the net affect on the inner workings if I remounted the welder in a vertical position where the wand end of the case looks straight up,,,,,,?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 9:39pm
i have never tried that, but have wondered the same thing.. I see no reason for the welder NOT to work setting on end with the wand straight up... Only important thing is the wand / gas tube must be straight and not BENT too many times.. years of that and it will fail.

Lay the cart down on its back with the WAND straight up and GIVE IT A TRY !!  I am voting YES !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 9:40pm
you could also mount a hinged plate to the cart.  Travel with welder pointed UP.. fold down FLAT when you get to the job site ???  
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 5:33am

CHIT,,Steve,,,I had forgotten how very HEAVY that little Lincoln welder really is,,,!!LOL
  I like the idea of the hinged plate but would have to relocate the CO2 bottle and a revamp of the frame for the welder while in storage position,,,,
 I'ma gonna try the welder in the "wand Up" position today ,,,hoping it works as that would take minimal frame modifications to do so,,,,Clap

Edited by desertjoe - 05 Jul 2024 at 5:34am
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 37 minutes ago at 1:02pm
They are designed with coling air flow in the horizontal position.forcing a induction motor to run horizontally is generaly bad forlife expectancy.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 57 minutes ago at 2:42pm

Well, CHIT,,,Dakota,,,WinkWink
 Lookin like back to the drawing board,,,, BUT am gonna wait for ole Steve's comments,WinkWink, I DO NOT like the welder sticking out so far in front so gonna start sketching, measuring and maybe go with the CO2 cylinder laying horizontally at very bottom and over the axle then the Lincoln on top of the cylinder,,,,?
 Right now the CO2 cylinder is vertical and BEHIND the axle, welder is in front of axle 
 Biggest hurdle is the welder has to have access to open the Side door to change wire spools, so it either has to be in front of axle or behind it,,,,or mounted vertically,,Wink
 I REALLY like the idea of using the big heavy duty 2 BIG pneumatic tired dolley,,sure is easy to move it around the shop or on rough terrain  instead of them dang 4 wheel carts,, that require outriggers to keep cart from tilting them over,,,,LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 11 minutes ago at 3:28pm
had not thought about the fan.. dont know what the reduction in life would be.. they will RUN in a different position, but not sure how many YEARS it could do that.... Right now the welder sets infront of the axle and cart frame... maybe the FRAME could be modified where you slide the welder BACK 10 inches over the top of the axle and between the frame rails ???  That solves  the front end problem, but then you have to adjust the frame so you can get the side door open to replace the spool .... maybe a bolt on , removeable leg ?

Still like the idea of mounting the  welder straight UP... and you can lay the cart back on the handle ( horizontal) when in use.... just need a GOOD reposition on the CO2 bottle... it has to be upright when in use... but NOT to store it.. (CO2 is a LIQUID in the tank and you draw the VAPOR off the TOP of the bottle... can not lay on its side)..

Edited by steve(ill) - 1 hour 2 minutes ago at 3:37pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 6 minutes ago at 3:33pm
i think i would be temped to put the bottle in the back and the welder infron.. both in the UPRIGHT position... If you want additional cooling you could add a fan to one side of the welder or the back. (BIG muffin fans put out a lot of air and are CHEAP) .. that might be the easy way to solve it... but im still not convinced the fan position would be a major problem.

Edited by steve(ill) - 1 hour 5 minutes ago at 3:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic