This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My latest project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My latest project
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:09pm

The Physical Therapist had told me the wife was gonna have to have a "walk-in Shower" when she went home, so I was checkin out what The LOWES store had to offer,,,,,,,
  Was talkin to this very friendly sales person when she asked me if I was interested in a really great deal,,,so I told her we could use the back seat of the car if she was in a hurry,,,,after pickin myself up off the floor,,,I told her I'd keep my thoughts to myself til I heard more,,,,,,Wink 
 She tells me they have a complete 60" X 48"  Sterling walk-in shower ensemble with a sliding door that had been delivered in wrong width and I could have it at 90% off of the regular price of $1870,,,,,,thas right folks 90 % off,,,,!!!!!! 
  Now the friggin WORK begins,,,,PFTTttttt
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:43am
So she didn't want to try out the back seat?

Good deal on the shower, you might like it too!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 4:59am
I wonder if that's the same shower I saw there for $210.? (poke,poke)
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:44am
60×48 , awfully big , sounds like a wall will have to move. Tub you have now has a 1,1/2 inch drain. Shower has 2 inch drain, probably in the middle and the tub drain is at one end. Sterling makes a good unit. Get some floor tile mortar and set base in piles of mortar. Make small mounds 3 to 4 inches in diameter and just as tall. Space them so they have room to squish and spread as you set new base. Will make base rock solid. If you do not it will creak and click every time you walk on it. Also new unit is made to be level,plumb and square
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:46am
Never seen a house that was perfectly level, plumb and square. May have to do some adjusting. Wish I was closer and not so busy.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 9:40am
Your going tohave to hurry up and get it in so you can take a cold shower to cool down.... Good Luck there DJ.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:37am
Just knock ya' a hole in the side of the house with yer' fancy backhoe, it'll slide right in! LOL
D15 Series II
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:58am
The Backhoe Or The Shower Stall?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
Did you ask the saleslady if she wanted to come try out the shower with you when you got it installed?

Good advice from Pat. You want that base rock solid, level, plumb, and square. What I love is crawling under the house to move drain pipes.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 1:28pm
If you have to remove an old tub, sometimes they can be loads of fun to remove.  I had to use a sledge hammer on my cast iron tub to bust it up and remove in sections to get it out the door.  And remember a saws-all is your best friend in remodeling. Big smile
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 2:44pm
ummm, if my calculations are right that is 4 by 5 feet.

you gonna have to have multi nozzles in that shower room?

Confused  let us know how your are gonna get it in there,  surely it is not one piece.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm
YEA.......... I would JUMP on that deal !!! ........... and I would buy the shower too !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

The Backhoe Or The Shower Stall?

LOL! Either one'll work! He does it right, she won't wanna ask him do that kinda thing EVER again!
D15 Series II
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

ummm, if my calculations are right that is 4 by 5 feet.

you gonna have to have multi nozzles in that shower room?

Confused  let us know how your are gonna get it in there,  surely it is not one piece.

Actually Dave and all youse others,,,,,,I can't read my own typin,,,I been havin to use this dang little tablet and it is ONE LETTER at a time,,,PFTTttt
 Actually,, since ole Dave unmasked me,,,,,,,,(snicker),,,, the shower enclosure is 60" X 36" instead of the 48" I  typed,,my bad,,,,
 It is a 5 piece with the base, two sides,  the back and the sliding door. and "NO" I ain't gonna have to use my "fancy" backhoe to cut a hole in the wall, copyrite,,,,sheeesh,,,,
Dang,,a man could get lost in one that big,,,
 Thas a great idea bout the mortar,,Pat,,,I don't remember what I used for the base when I installed this tub bout 24 years ago,,but it has always been very sturdy and never makes any floor noise.

OH and Shameless,,,Ms big ones did tell me bout a fellar that was in there last week tryin to talk her into tryin out that bigger tub with him,,,,,,,,,,,,,she didn't fall for that cause he just wasn't her style and,,,,and,,,he his legs was too hairy,,,,,,LOLLOL
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 10:31pm
I wonder how she knew about the hairy legs, unless he was wearing shorts...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 11:32pm
me thunks...it would be easier to just add a space onto the outside of the house for that shower, easier to just add a door than all that other stuff. you can just run the drain pipe out on the ground, puts sum rock all around to make it look like a rock garden. worked for me! oooops….ya'll didn't hear that! I know you gots LOTS of rocks around there. i'd love to take out our tub and puts in one of them sit down walk in tubs, but it's built into the walls of the room and if I take a sledge to it, it will just dent it, it's an iron tub, not cast iron! PffffT! i'll wait for a different house.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:34am
[QUOTE=JohnCO]I wonder how she knew about the hairy legs, unless he was wearing shorts...
I don't know,,John,,,them womens just seem to see more than us mens do,,,course if I as to "observe" a good lookin woman with hairy legs,,,,i might take some notice too,,,!!!!!Wink
  Well,,Shameless,,I did look at them "walk-in tubs" but,,,,,but,,,holely chit-a-risky,,,,they was over $4000 and they wouldn't take trade-ins,,,!!!!!LOL I looked into what you did a while back to take the bath water out of the septic system,,,sure helped the system,,,,Clap
After I get this shower thing all finished up,,,I got to go back to Lowes to get one of them ADA chitters,, cause wife is kinda short legged and has to take aim at the potty before,,,,never mind,,,,,,,,,,,,
Then,,,,then,,,gonna have to put up some handholds,,,HMmmmmm lets see what else is on that dang list,,,,,,

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:40pm
I have just replaced a tub with shower surround with a 36"x 60" shower unit. It was a renovation model but came in just 2 sections so it was still a challenge to get the 2 sections into the rather small bathroom and reassembled. I had to cut a hole in the wall of the adjacent room to get behind the shower to complete the reassembly. This allowed me to to pack some premixed concrete as Pat mentioned under the shower after the unit was set in place. I am using one of these multi function shower towers that mount on the inside of the shower and was concerned that the mounting screws into the fibreglass walls wouldn't be secure enough so I glued some 1 x 4 backing on the back where the shower tower is mounted. If you are going to be adding some grab bars you might consider gluing some backing on the back where the grab bars would mount. I used "No More Nails" adhesive. I am just in the process of taping and filling repairs to the surrounding bathroom walls. Not my favourite job. Oh, and the Sawsall made short work of the old tub. Although the shower is set up for a 2" drain I am bushing it down to 1-1/2" to connect to the old tub drain. It has taken me a lot longer than planned.
Jack of all trades, master of none
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:36pm
Joe, it's been over forty years since I saw a woman with very hairy legs in Co. I can even tell you where. It IS a very unforgettable experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic