This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Tractor! D17... But which series?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:08am
Yes, but as there was also water in the case, I was thinking it may be beneficial to try and give the bearings a little soak. I wasn't concerned with the bottom part of the sleeve as the water pushed the oil up :)

Thank you for ensuring I understood. I should have been more clear in my question.
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:43pm
Well... I made it over today to fill the cylinders with ATF and Acetone. Cylinders 1,2&4 looked better than yesterday, 3 is near the top and was strangely cruddy, thought I had found the guilty party and rejoiced! Soaked up the oil we dumped in yesterday before leaving, 12&3 were easy to dry out, but I just couldn't get #4 dry, and I could've swore we got all the coolant out yesterday... Turns out, we thought we had, but the hairline fracture in the middle of the sleeve previously hidden by crud is helping to ensure a constant supply of coolant right back in.

So, I'm thinking that I figured out how the pushrod got bent- fuel gummed up carb and tractor got parked. Some time a winter or few later it was determined that the tractor was parked in an inconvenient spot and during the first attempt to turn her over, hydro lock on cylinder 4 with a bending of the pushrod. Determine that it's not really in the way and we'll mess with it later. Decade goes by and here we are!

Looks like it's getting an overhaul!

On the plus side, I checked the hydraulics c fluid level and it was not only in the hash marks, but looked pretty decent! Hopefully there won't be any surprises when we spool that side up :)

Edited by Strokendiesel002 - 07 Apr 2019 at 6:44pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:36pm
Separated the manifold from the head... Yeesh
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:34pm
Alright, I split her in two, pulled the blue color and then bolted her back together in case my uncle needs to move her. Need to buy a memory card for my phone and then I can text myself the pictures and upload them. Just wanted to give an update that this project isn't dead. Should I ask for a re-title or start a new thread?
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:13am
I'd say keep this one alive, you've already got a good story going.
Good luck on your rebuild.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:02am
Thanks AD, will do!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:24pm
Update!

Head and flywheel were dropped off at machine shop and full sleeve and gasket kit was ordered. Hoping to get said parts by Thursday for reassembly! Wife and kids are out of town, so I'm really pushing to have engine read for install by Saturday morning, as they're coming back Saturday night!

I really want to replace the main bearings, since I've got it this far apart, but I'm deathly afraid of cracking the crank pulley... Any tips? My cheap puller was kind of stripped (pressure bolt) from an outboard project and is now completely stripped. So if I gotta buy something, I want to buy the right thing.

Pics!

Edited by Strokendiesel002 - 21 Apr 2019 at 9:25pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:16am
Looks like you have a project! I will be watching! Congrats on the D17 joining the family. It sounds like it needs lots of love and attention too. Mine is setting in my sons garage (lean to).
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:06pm
Thanks Sugarmaker! Pretty excited to put around the property and mow stuff down!

More progress tonight... Successfully removed the crank pulley without breaking it!!!

Got a puller squared up and put a fair amount of pressure, then heated as evenly as possible with a smallish rosebud torch. Popped 1/8" and repeat, used a 2x4 to hold the crank steady when applying pressure. It certainly wasn't a fast process, but it worked!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 11:53pm
Progress tonight. Pressure washed and removed timing cover and main cap bolts. Have to pick it off the stand to remove rear cap and crankshaft.

Also disassembled pressure plate so machine shop can turn that down too, since I sent them the flywheel. Sleeve and gasket kit came in so I'm hoping to start reassembling it tomorrow!
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:39pm
Put couple bolts with flat washers in place of the head bolts to hold the sleeves down cuz if you do break one of them loose and you've moved the sleeve a little bit you'll be back in for a water leak nevermind I didn't see page 2

Edited by bradley6874 - 25 Apr 2019 at 2:42pm
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:41pm
Hey Bradley thanks for taking the time to read and for the tip I really appreciate it!

somebody down the line May read that and it will help save them from the potential heartache that you were trying to help save me from :)
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:08am
Well between Friday and Sunday I got the new sleeves Pistons rebuilt head and 7 of the 8 pushrods installed. my uncle came over to help with prepping the crank is that it was his specialty for many years, well machining them was actually his specialty.

Mama and the boys got home Saturday afternoon but Sunday afternoon we loaded up the almost completed engine and brought it back over to my uncle's which is where the tractor is.

I'm hoping to finish it up on this coming Saturday!

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:52pm
Carb is assembled with new gaskets, pressure plate is picked up, manifolds are cleaned about as good as it's gonna get without a blast cabinet. I ran my die grinder with a smaller forward facing brush in and out of every port and then let it sit for about 30 minutes in a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water that I drained out of the fuel tank after it's 3rd treatment. It's looking really good... Except for the 3 holes :( I'm nervous to use the liners, as I've read so many bad experiences thanks to all the fuel additives. May wind up attempting to weld it. Going to use air craft stripper to clean the outside to bare metal then give it a full acid bath, rather than just trying to fill it. Unless anyone has a solid tank they're willing to part with or a better idea :)
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 3:18pm
She's Alive!

I wound up welding the tank after a sorry attempt to solder it. Took about 3 hours chasing holes. Not the prettiest work I've ever done, but it's no leaking!

I actually put the engine back in on May 5th, and went back a week or two later to finish it, but she wouldn't start. Summer came in full swing at that point, and I just let it be. I'd been theorizing over what was wrong and came to the realization that I never truly clocked the rotor. After reading the manual and many threads, I went back out and within 20 minutes she was alive! I set the radiator in place, filled with water and put on the 3 good hose clamps I had (need 1 new one). I was planning on changing all the hydraulic fluid out before driving it, but I couldn't help myself. I had to know if it would even remotely operate, and it actually did pretty good! I wasn't quite aggressive enough with the P.D. and thought it was slipping out of "hi" and "low" when I pushed a little further and she snapped into place! So I then pulled a little further where she again snapped into low! What an awesome feeling!

I do need to figure out the clutch spring- there wasn't one so I ordered one up. There were 2 washers and a cotter key on the shaft. I am assuming that I need to order a special piece that goes to the housing. Will check parts diagram, but suggestions welcome!

first start!

first drive!

Edited by Strokendiesel002 - 01 Aug 2019 at 3:22pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 3:31pm
Here's what has me on the struggle bus regarding the clutch

I unthreaded the rod, pulled off the big washer, removed the cotter key and slide the small orange washer up the shaft. Slid on the spring, then big washer and threaded the shaft back into the fork. Not fun, but whatever. Go to compress the spring and install the washer to find that the spring is nearly totally compressed and the washer binds on the shaft. Doh! Then common sense kicks in and I realize someone probably out a larger diameter spring on at some point and it must've rotted away, that's why there was a larger diameter washer, which was never painted orange.

All it takes is time and money, right?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm
Well, agco parts apparently no longer provides the parts diagrams they did a few months ago. I do have a parts book for 170/175 on loan from a friend, but it just lists 2 washers and a cotter pin. Guess maybe my housing is damaged? Really open to opinions at this point.

Thanks for looking!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 4:58pm
Parts books are still available on line. They changed the format so it looks different but still works.AGCO Parts Books
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 4:59pm
Thanks!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 10:27am
Well it's been a while, but I've been running Allis around the property doing some mowing and borrowed a hay wagon for a family friendly Halloween party. Even did my first tractor pull a few weeks back at the Racine county Fair grounds! Just had family pics taken and I really liked how these two turned out so thought I'd share

Hope everyone is doing well!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 1:41pm
Nice picture ...lucky boys....good father
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 2:48pm
Stroken,
 Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Your making some memories with them and the Allis tractor too! Glad you got the tractor working!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 9:49pm
Thanks fellas!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:26pm
Evening all!

I hope all is well! It's been a while, figured I'd give a little update. My little D17 is still running great, used it with a borrowed subsoiler to lay a few hundred feet of pipe. Had to hand dig out the trench, but it sure was a heck of a lot easier! as a part of dropping the draw bar, I changed the bell housing and replaced the non existent release lever. Also ran in another 5500lb class a few weeks ago and did ok, didn't win, but was competitive and the only Allis in that class. The crowd seemed to like seeing her run as there was a surprising amount of cheering towards the end of the run. This past week I went up and bought what I believe is a 400 series loader and got that bolted on today. Waiting on the U Bolts to mount the back half, and then it's on to making it functional!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:26am
Ahh that loader looks like it came with the tractor! Nice addition to the family! You did a great job getting this tractor operational again and now that loader will help around the farm too.
( I could use a loader tractor some days too! )
I like the picture of the Ford assisting getting the loader in place!
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
 Regards,
 Chris
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:05am
The tilt cylinders are not original. The original cylinders look like the lift cylinders.  The tilt cylinders appear to be tie rod cylinders.
I have a 500 loader on my series II D-17.  Dealer installed it in 1972.  

Great loaders.  
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:22am
Correct clay, the person I bought from said they got bent so he replaced them and threw away the originals unfortunately
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Chris, thank you for the kind words as always :)

My uncle (same as who I got it from) was very excited to out the little Ford to work!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:34pm
Evening!

I'm getting closer to having a functional FEL!

So, a friend make me up the mounting plate and ordered some 1"OD .0.5" ID tubing and am waiting on a shaft and coupler for the flywheel.

I test fit the pump in the bracket tonight and I suddenly realized what others were talking about with the 1/2" bolster bolts and pump interfering.

Pics:

I'm thinking that it'd be acceptable to shorten up the bolster to bracket spacers by say 1/2" and then place 1/2" spacers between the bracket and pump...

Thoughts?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:29pm
While you have it taken apart, unhook the drawbar where it hooks under the tractor and replace the double C spring that holds the snap coupler hook in place. They get weak and it will allow your plow to come unhooked. When that happens the tonge of the plow will dig into the ground and the plow will land on top of you. I still have the scar on my back when it happened to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic