This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Dad on a WC with a NI picker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Dad on a WC with a NI picker
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:38pm
I don't know alot about this picture.

Sponsored Links

Allis Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:09pm

WOW that is neet.

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:25pm
Don't ya hate it when those stories get lost in time? Wonder what the wagon attaches to........
WC, CA, D14, WD45
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:45pm
Dems some fancy headlights!
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:56pm
Don

That is the exact picker I was talking to you about that I saw at a local auction a few years ago.  Would be fun to see one pick again!

Jim
FredW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 7:08am
Remember Dad having one like that when I was still in grade school, dont remember seeing it work. Think wagon hitches short on the tongue. Fred
A&A MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A&A MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:04am
If I remember right, it was pulled from where the  (horse evener) was attatched to the wagon.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:25am
Love those old pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:00am
There's a screen in front of the radiator but nothing over the air intake!?!

There's also some kinda support rod running from the picker to the wagon steering I think. Probably has something to do with the hitch.

Love those headlights. Be neat to have a set today.

mojo/Mike

Edited by Mojo - 21 Jan 2010 at 10:01am
Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:59am
thanks for sharing!
1955 WD-45 with factory PS
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:59am
I love the old pictures. Thanks for posting. I agree with those above....SWEET headlights!
Jeff
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:56am
Nothing I love better than seeing a WC at work.  Great photo, thanks for sharing it!
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:58pm
Great picture. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:03pm
ok, i'll bite.  its an unstyled wc.  no generator.  can't quite tell if there's a battery box.  how were the lights powered??  alan
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by alan-nj alan-nj wrote:

ok, i'll bite.  its an unstyled wc.  no generator.  can't quite tell if there's a battery box.  how were the lights powered??  alan
I was so impressed with the lights, I never thought about powering them
good question
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 2:43pm
Not sure of the year the photo was taken but that equupment was some of the best in it's day.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 3:59pm
I remember when my Dad and grandpa picked corn with an Oliver picker like that and two triple boxes with side boards.  There was a chain that ran through a tube with a catch for the chain that pulled the wagon, so you could fill the wagon front to back.  Used to sit on grandpa's lap and steer the WC back to the buildings to unload with the wagon hoist and elevator.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 4:29pm
I think they had belt pulley generator rigs like they used on old train engines.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 4:35pm
Incredible picture, Don.  I think we need a web site to put all of these old pictures, get them all in one spot.  You aren't that far from me either, I'm up by Mt Union.
AaronSEIA
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 6:23pm
I hope someone can enlighten me!! What would the benefit be of having a side unloading picker like this be?? I just think the conventional rear unloader would be so much more practical.  Thanks, Ryan
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 6:38pm
Ryan, This was before there was a "conventional" picker. The first ones had no way to pull the wagon. You drove the wagon along side pulled with the team or whatever you had.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 7:09pm
I had a old New Idea picker manual and it showed many different types available. Probably early one before they phased them out.  Once again, thanks for the info!!! Ryan
Don M SEIA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:04pm
Thanks  for the comments.  Dad was an AC , New Idea dealer 1937-53.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic