This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My D15 Series 1 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

Might be better off dealing with some of the suppliers on this site. I've had excellent service from any I've dealt with over the years.  Also, they know Allis!

Yeah, I learned a lesson. Of course when I really laid in to Yesterdays Tractors and asked for support I got no return calls or email responses.
They are off my list of preferred vendors.
Sponsored Links

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by peterh peterh wrote:

awesome story, great tractor- love the advice on this site, but love stories like this even more

Thank you for your comments. the tractor means a lot to me. A lot of learning occurred on that seat and lots of good times with my grandpa and that tractor.

I think these forums are helpful for the advice as well but as you mention I enjoy the stories too. When I was looking for photos and details I was having a hard time finding a ton of D15 info so I figured I would take lots of pics and document everything I could so that others had a resource if they were new to these tractors as far as going through certain areas of them.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 2:21pm
Well this isn't tractor related but I wanted to post it anyway. 
This was my grandpas ship that he took to Japan. He was posted in Japan after the close of WWII and then on to Korea after that. 
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:30am
Well a little more progress.
I got all my Pistons out and rods swapped over to the new Pistons. Incredibly the engine is very clean and show little to no wear on any of the bearings.

So far I only have 2 of the liners out and they are a bastard to get out. I made my own pulled but without a Torrington bearings the all thread binds up and I am using a steel rod from the underside to strike my puller base under the liner to get them to pop free.

And I have been working on the dyno that I have accessible to me to get it setup for a run in of the new motor. It's a bit big at 800 horse so it should hold whatever I throw at it with the D15!

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:46am
Any suggestions on a break in process using the dyno? Basically I can set it to auto and take the tractor to full throttle and it will hold the PTO rpm I set it at by using load.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:22am
Make sure you set the ignition timing with a timing light and at full throttle to the FIRE mark or F or F-25 whatever the flywheel is marked at. I always use lighter oil for break-in, like a 5W-20 or 5W-30.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:22am

Hey BigRed,,,that is a great project you got goin there. Keep the pics coming,,,!!
   The new pistons you got, look to be the same design that were in the 149 I installed in my D14 Industrial Backhoe/loader. Did the vendor tell you what the compression bumped up to with the pop-up design??
 I noticed in your pics,  the driveshaft for the front mounted hydraulic pump is going to need some repairs, mine was bout that bad, and if you plan to re-install the pump,,PM me and I will give you a money savin alternative.  Keep the pics comin,,,,Clap
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:23am
I know nothing about dyno's, but that is a cool looking unit!!
Great documentation! Like the picture of the ship in its work clothes too!
I agree that the status and progression pictures may just help another AC guy with a D15 project.
Lots of good resources on here too!
 Don (MO) should be in your cell phone!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:38am
if this was my tractor i would vary the RPM and LOAD as opposed to just setting it to pto speed and running it for awhile, but there are varying opinions on this.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:39am
Good info thanks! Ill do some reports on what she does when I get her together, tuned a bit and hooked up to the "Judge" as we call our dyno.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:43am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey BigRed,,,that is a great project you got goin there. Keep the pics coming,,,!!
   The new pistons you got, look to be the same design that were in the 149 I installed in my D14 Industrial Backhoe/loader. Did the vendor tell you what the compression bumped up to with the pop-up design??
 I noticed in your pics,  the driveshaft for the front mounted hydraulic pump is going to need some repairs, mine was bout that bad, and if you plan to re-install the pump,,PM me and I will give you a money savin alternative.  Keep the pics comin,,,,Clap

Joe, I wont be putting the pump back on the front. I am keeping the loader off of it. Yes the guy at Tisco that I talked to sad that the old crater pistons have not been offered for the last 11 years and everything has gone to the pop up style. As a FYI I was told that the compression with the new pistons is 8.75:1 vs the crater pistons 7.5:1.
Plus these new pistons are 3.56 bore which I believe puts the G149 to 156 cubes as well.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:47am
Joe,
Did you notice anything different in cranking speeds or load on the starter after you installed these pistons in your D14?
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 1:54pm
Guess I am late to the post here. Powermax makes the power crater pistons still. I am ordering a set for my d17 as soon as I get the crank issues sorted out. Jensales carries powermax and I think there is a vendor in here as well I just don't remember who. I know with the 226 motor you need to be careful alot of the aftermarket kits actually lower your compression.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 3:53pm

Hey BigRed,,,NAW,,,the original 149 engine was tore down when I bought the tractor,,so I have no clue bout the difference if any. I bought an engine from Iowa and it is the one that has the pop-up pistons, and is in the tractor as we speak,,,,I would of thought with that much difference in squish area would of bounced the compression up more than just one point,,but I didn't run the numbers before I lashed it up after the overhaul.
   Fact is,,,you've got me to thinkin,,and I may run a compression test on it just for funs,,,,ClapClap
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 3:56pm
Joe most of the aftermarket pistons don't travel as high to leave valve clearance so the allis power crater design can give you higher compression or that is how I understand it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:36pm

Hey Dan,,I hear what you're sayin,,,but don't make sense to fashion a piston with the pop-ups, obviously to bump the compression ratio but then again with the flat head the 149's use, you would have to be very meticulous in verifying the piston/valve clearance,,which I did on mine,,,but can't remember what the clearance was but seems like it was way more than I would have wanted if I had bought those pistons with the idea of lookin for more horse power,,,,Clap I also intended to CC the total area of the combustion chamber for my curiousity,,and forgot that little tidbit,,,,,WinkWink
  Maybe ole BigRed will do all these checks to clear up some questions for us,,,hint,,,hint,,,,  ClapClap
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:37pm
Got her on the dyno today!

Look at the top of the pic. Decided to have a little fun with a 620 Stieger Quad Trac today.

Peak torque:
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:39pm

DANG,,,Big Red,,,,how many turbos did you strap on thet engine,,,,?????Clap
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:22pm
It's a bone stock 620 with compound turbos. An absolute beast. Heated up 500 gallons of cold water on the dyno in the blink of an eye.
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:04am
looking good
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 3:39pm
Well she's back together and runs like a charm. My friend cut the valves, seats, and ported the heads last night and I got her all together today and tried her. Popped right off.

I'll have a video of it running in a little bit.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:02pm
Video of the second start after I adjusted valve lash. I am bumping the engine rpm up and down checking for hesitations. Prior to the build the throttle response was nowhere near this snappy.
https://youtu.be/uaKb7YodlL8

Hoping to be able to dial in the timing, and mixture adjustments tomorrow as well as swap from 295 Autolites to 303's. If I am correct I believe the 303's are colder than the 295's.

It's kind of weird to hit the key and not have a ton of smoke pour out if it.

Edited by bigredisb - 27 Aug 2016 at 10:10pm
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 2:35pm
You have a nice piece of family history and looks like you are going to keep it in the family so my hat is off to you. Just a word to the wise, Tisco pitons are known for burning tops of the pistons if you put to much timing into them. If you power tune for top horse power please don't go over 25* total timing in her.     
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 4:52pm
That's good info for sure. I am not going for all out power. Just dependable and clean running tune. I will admit today was timing day and I was a bit bewildered for a little bit as I couldn't find any f marks on the front pulley! I did find it in the bell housing hole so life is good. It was set about 6 or 7 degrees retarded. I turned the dizzy until "F25" at wot was clearly visible in the window. The engines tone is much deeper at this setting especially at idle and the exhaust flow seems much higher as the rain cap used to bang and clang up and down with the timing retarded. I ended up giving a little more fuel on the idle and fast speed mixture screws as well to smooth her out a bit. I put points in it a year ago but I am not certain I had it at tdc and rocking the dizzy to verify they were just opening so I may need to redo that. It starts great with no kicking and runs smooth all the way through the rpm range.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:42pm
You should check the timming again at full throttle.   I know on the 160 gas motor it is critical that you time it at full throttle not idle.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:09pm
Yes I checked it at full throttle. That's what I meant with my acronym of "wot" or wide open throttle.
I also took the dizzy apart and cleaned and lubed the advance mechanism as well.
Just got done servicing the wheel bearings as well. They looked good but one was way out of adjustment (loose).
I also just ordered some decent copper plug wires from a guy that posts on here (bb electric or something like that).
Also got my bottomless toolbox off. All of the carriage bolts that pass through the tool box were spinning so I welded nuts to the heads to get them out as well as welded up some random holes in the sheet metal up front from what appears to have been wire routing for random lights.

Edited by bigredisb - 28 Aug 2016 at 8:12pm
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:07pm
Any of you guys have a D15 hydraulic pump you are willing to separate from? The lift has always been really "ratchety" if that makes any sense. Feels like of the 4 Pistons isn't moving oil but it still has plenty of lift power and kicks off from pressure at the top of the lift stroke easily. Just seems way to jerky in its lift but maybe it's normal?? This tractor has been that way from the day we got it so I just figured it was normal.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:12pm
Are you getting water in the oil? Almost sounds to me like a pump fighting water issues.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:28pm
No signs of water in the oil. I changed it a year ago and didn't find any obvious signs of metal in it either. After it has ran a while the oil is still a nice Amber color not milky at all.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:15am
Also looking for some advice on what paint I need to be using.
Persian Orange 1 or 2 for a 61?

Found this great post but not sure what colors I should be using other than Crème:

Paint codes

Edited by bigredisb - 29 Aug 2016 at 10:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic