This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler or Straight Pipe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler or Straight Pipe?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:38pm
Is there any power or performance difference between running a straight pipe vs an everyday stock muffler?
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Sponsored Links

dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 6:46am
Just MHO, but unless you have performed intake mods or the like, a straight pipe over a muffler only makes more noise and seems not to be any advantage. For what it's worth.
dgerth
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:51am
I like mufflers if they can flow enough air and on a 4 cyl they usually can. I'll buy a $20 glass pack or cherry bomb muffler (whatever you want to call it) when I need to put something on one. Available in all kinds of sizes and the outside diameter is small enough to fit the original hole in the hood. Sounds nice, takes the bite out.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 1:57pm
If I feed it, I want to here it EAT. But on a 4 banger a straight pipe probably not much of an advantage.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 4:39pm
So at the end of the day, a 201 would not really benefit. Hmm... Oh well, I still think it sounds cool! So it will stay on for now! Cool
Seth Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 6:35pm
Straight pipes our great. I met my Grandfathers neighbor once who showed me his collection of which one was a Farmall Super M with Chrome straight pipe. Boy that lady pured!!!!!!!!
There are no atheist in foxholes.

mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:25pm
along with the straight pipe or muffler deal, when i was younger i always wanted to straight pipe anything with an engine but my father would always say that a straight pipe on an old tractor was hard on the valves! Is this true or was that his way to keep me from hacking the mufflers off his tractors?
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:29am
My theory is watch the size of the straight pipe diameter. You need back pressure to pick up exhaust velocity to get rid of gases faster . I big fatty pipe allows it to hang around in the chambers. Headers produce velocity independently per cylinder. Look I like straight pipes like the rest of ya. Wi 50 post stated he runs a glass pack. That still builds velocity but tames the sound . I seen a guy atvs pull with a moline which had a 5 or 6 chromy pipe. I cud hear every valve lope and hiss. My opinion is just watch size and length . Exhaust valve burning is just a lean cylinder. Egt too hot .
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:30am
The word atvs is supposed to be " at a"
Auto correct
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by mufflerboltz mufflerboltz wrote:

along with the straight pipe or muffler deal, when i was younger i always wanted to straight pipe anything with an engine but my father would always say that a straight pipe on an old tractor was hard on the valves! Is this true or was that his way to keep me from hacking the mufflers off his tractors?
I don't know about tractors, but I used to be a motorcycle mechanic and running a straight pipe was hard on the engine. True, it ran better with a little back pressure, so mufflers made it run better.
But problems arose when the pipes were short and the outside air (cold compared to the hot exhaust) backflowed into the valve area of the engine. It would sometimes damage the exhaust valves (warp and even crack). I think it would apply to tractor engines as well.

Edited by Goose - 15 Jan 2013 at 12:19pm
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 5:40pm
Do you think a rain cap would solve the cold air problem?
allischalmersbrad View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmersbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:21pm
I have talked to guys who have checked this by doing dyno comparisons and the say that they usually get most HP with stock mufflers. A couple of guys in our tractor club also did this last year with an M International. They said they showed about 4-5 more horse with the muffler. The guy that owned the M still pulled it without the muffler cause he likes the way it sounds. By the way, these were stock tractors. Maybe with engine mods it would make a difference?
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by allischalmersbrad allischalmersbrad wrote:

I have talked to guys who have checked this by doing dyno comparisons and the say that they usually get most HP with stock mufflers. A couple of guys in our tractor club also did this last year with an M International. They said they showed about 4-5 more horse with the muffler. The guy that owned the M still pulled it without the muffler cause he likes the way it sounds. By the way, these were stock tractors. Maybe with engine mods it would make a difference?
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:43pm
Huh? What dja say? That's the sound I make when the g-kids don't speak loud enough for me to hear!  In the past when times were tough, and I could'nt afford a muffler, I ran straight pipes. I can tell now it didn't do my ears any good. But at 72, I dont think I can go back and fix it!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
EricSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 11:36pm
Lol
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 8:18pm
it depends on how the exhaust ports have been modified if they are flowing over 80 percent of the intake then a muffler restricting flow will pick up the torque. If the intake has been modified and the exhaust ports have been left alone then a straight pipe can help on a 226 style four cylinder .jmho  a engines a air pump it cant take in anymore than it gets rid of  . hard to fill a cylinder if the exhaust is reverting. if it has soot in the intake it has reversion.

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Jan 2013 at 8:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic