This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor Grader AD-3 or BD-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor Grader AD-3 or BD-3
    Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:33am
Hi, I am new to the forum and I just purchased an AC motor grader. It came with a BD-3 operator's manual, but the gentleman I purchased it from inherited it and didn't know much about it. I can't find a model number on the data tag, but the serial number is 1F-771. After some research, I think it may be an AD-3 not a BD-3. I've attached some photos and any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for a complete Warner electric brake assembly. 

Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:57am
hard to tell from the picture, but I am leaning toward Ad-3. both models were available with 3-71 Detroit. AD has 10 inch pipe frame and if I remember correctly, 122 inch circle for blade. BD should be 8 inch pipe and smaller circle, cant remember exactly. Don't have Norms book on me at work, can look this evening.

tag under cab on right should have model and serial #

the shifter setup is different on BD than AD also but no pic of inside cab

Edited by CAL(KS) - 28 Oct 2015 at 12:00pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:37pm
Hi Cal, thanks for the speedy response.  The pipe fame is about  10 1/2 inches across. The electric brakes is what makes me think its an AD model. All the BD models I have found have hydraulic brakes.  I will add more photos today. Thanks so much for taking your time to help me.  This old girl runs great, and we plan on restoring her.  Have a great day Cal.
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:04pm
More grader photos:

Brakes:

Thanks!

Edited by DJS - 29 Nov 2015 at 8:55pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:20pm
they only made the electric brakes a few years then switched back to hydraulic with the AD30 and 40. I would hope its something simple because parts will be like winning the lottery.

very nice looking machine
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 6:05pm
We had a similar grader at my first civilian employer after Army, those dog clutch controls were unforgiving if try to feather in, hand bruisers number one!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 6:25pm
#771 would be late 1946, year end # was 780.  Per C.H. Wendell's book.
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 8:38pm
Thanks so much for all the input.  its been really helpful.  So we are thinking that its a 1946 AD-3 motor grader.  We plan on restoring her and using it in the subdivision here.     I drove her 12 miles across the desert last weekend. The seller just put 4 new tires on her. She purred all the way home. I will keep you guys updated on our new money pit.

Edited by DJS - 29 Nov 2015 at 8:57pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:11pm
Good thing about that'un is you can rotate the blade around back'ards, and grade in reverse, don't need to turn around...
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:24pm
That works for me, Diy Dave.  I didn't even think about that. I found two AD graders for parts for cheap, but there to far from here.  So we are going to try to hunt one down with in a coupe hundred miles from here.  I am replacing the wiring and adding lights now.   
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:46pm
The seller must have been concerned with the gun you were carrying. $1900 doesn't even pay for the tires!  Great buy.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 7:00am
That is one very nice looking grader !! Keep us posted on your progress.
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 9:50am
That"s funny, but my wife had the gun.  I am going to bring her with me more often. Ha Ha.  What really happened was a man named vic was given the grader by his neighbor john who pasted away a week later.  Now John is the gentleman who put the new tires on.  Now Vic could hardly get in the grader let alone run one.   I was at ihe local store and Sara asked me if I knew anyone who would want to buy a grader?   Because Vic is ruining the roads in their neighborhood and he won't stop. So we head out there to look at the grader and my wife sees it and says she wants it, and I said OK.  So Vic wanted $3000 for it, but after a while we agreed to $1900.    All the names have been changed to protect the guilty.
James Coons View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Coons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:15pm
Where abouts in AZ are ya?  I'm in the Safford area.  We have an AD3 as well.  They're fun to run!
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 1:05pm
We are in the Lake Havasu area. I am looking for brake parts. I am missing 1 wheel brake assembly, ( electric brakes)
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:22pm
Don't need brakes, just drop the blade...
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:56pm
At least with an Allis you can reverse the circle turn driving down the road.A Cat of that vintage,you had to get astraddle of a ditch
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 4:05pm
I had 2 BD-3's , both had 3-71 Detroits in them.---also had a 45 stolen from me a few years ago too!--it had the 516 motor with a jimmy super-charger on it! ( never did see it again)--it was a 1960 model! thanks; ac fleet
DJS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 9:23pm
Sorry to hear about the stolen 45, that really bites.  I have been learning a lot about these old girls, and have grown attached to these motor graders.  I'm hooked.
Marcvg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:41am
I also have an ad 30 up here in oregon, got it on trade for an old jeep I had sitting around. Has 6 brand new tires and chains to go with them, waiting for my Manuel to show up so I can change all her fluids. I know the motor takes 30 weight and 80/90 gear oil in chain case for wheels, but other than that I'm clueless does it take standard hydraulic oil for control valves in cab? I removed plug on top and fluid is nasty, checked rear end and oil is nasty as well was wondering if anybody could tell me what oil or fluid is needed for a complete service? Also I would like to purchase u joint assemblies as when im.plowing snow it would be easier and faster to just pull 2 bolts and done. And yes mine needs brakes as well lol
GeneK View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 8:30am
Hi DJS, Just wondering if you had any luck fixing your electric brakes. If so, do you have any tips? I recently purchased an AD3. S/N 1003. Beginning to work on it. Changing fluids is on top of my list too. Initially I've just been scraping and vacuuming all the crud and pack rat droppings off of everything. Also started drilling and tapping rusted bolts around the radiator shroud. Fun!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 3:53pm
The supercharger on an AC Forty Five was made by Sweitzer.  It is cast iron and heavy.

The last of them were AC 45 and had the later engines that did away with the Lanova injection with the injectors on the side and the supercharger

Edited by Ian Beale - 14 Nov 2021 at 3:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic