This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monarch 75 Steering Clutches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch 75 Steering Clutches
    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:00pm
I have found a Monarch 75 that probably has stuck steering clutches.

Can anyone tell me if the steering clutches can be removed  / repaired by removing the top cover plate?

Thank you,
Dan  

Edited by MonarchDan - 07 Mar 2019 at 11:31pm
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:42am
Now a monarch 75 is very old, probably late 20's.....? And VERY,VERY rare? I can't tell you much about the steering clutches on it. I know of a couple of brothers that own one that is pristine, and I thought that they said it was one of only 3 known to exist. I could be wrong, though. Maybe I can get you in contact with them if want. They may be able to help ya out. Darrel
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:41am
 Dan, I might have an instruction book but not available readily at this moment.
Carl Jacobs, Darien WI. might have a parts book or repair...His 75 is at Rock River thresherie
 In the meantime, here is a pic that might give you an idea...

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
MonarchDan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 12:26pm
I thank you all for the responses.
I am buying this 75 over the phone so I have not seen it ...  it rolls and the engine is free but the seller does not know if steering clutches are free ... it has been sitting a long time.

I expect to find stuck clutches ... will need tech info on disassembly and repair.
THANK YOU 
Dan

Edited by MonarchDan - 08 Mar 2019 at 12:28pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:10pm
Hello,
One more question ...
I am trying to find a serial number list of Monarch 75 tractor production by year.
NO LUCK so far.

Do any of you gentlemen have Monarch 75 serial number information??

I have found Monarch 50 info ... but not Monarch 75 information.
THANKS AGAIN,
Dan
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
Good luck with your purchase. I gave up looking for one when I turned 60. Sure hope you can get her and have fun with it.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 6:32pm
That goes way back and they, had more time it seems Wink and had not built in some of the ideas that made it come apart easy. But the picture makes it look like maybe you can take one side at a time. As the case does not show from this picture a way to lift steering clutchs and bevel gear all in one the way Cat did it until the late 40's.

Good luck and happy wrenching.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:31pm
 MONARCH
 Model "F" 10-TON
1926......... 10001 - 10081
1927......... 10082 - 10240
1928......... 10241 - 10250
 ALLIS-CHALMERS MFG. COMPANY
   Monarch Tractors Division
         Springfield, Ill.
  Model "F" 75
1928......... 70001 - 70207
1929......... 70208 - 70654
1930......... 70655 - 70984
1931......... 70984 - 71066

1931, Allis Chalmers Model L took the place of the Monarch 75 .
the F 10 TON was open chain drive, when Allis took them over, they upgraded the finals and encased the chains to run to run them in oil.
Early Monarch 75 had a Beaver LeRoi engine in them with a 6 1/2 x 7 engine
Later MONARCH 75 had a LeRoi 6 3/4 X 7. 
drawbar HP 78
Shipping weight 23,600 pounds

"F" 10 TON test...

I have wanted and looked hard for the model "D" 6-60 Monarch, Never heard of anyone having one of those.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:41am
Wow! That Monarch D, 6-60 must be a rare bird. Looks awesome. Darrel
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 2:26pm
It sure does and I bet it really got the job done
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 12:20pm
Thank you very much for the serial number information on the 75's !!

Very much appreciated !!

If anyone has knowledge on the removal of steering clutches from a Monarch 75 please share. 

Can the clutches be removed through the top cover??

Thanks in advance,
Dan
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 1:42pm
just something I found on the web...

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 3:00pm
Very interesting info on the F10.

Thank you very much for sharing...  if you have other similar info on these tractors please post as well.

I am learning a lot .. much appreciated.

Dan
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:14pm
MonarchDan, I got in contact with a fellow that has a repair book, says yes, can be taken out the top but there are things you have to do before you can pull them out.... It will take him a couple days to copy the steering clutch section and send the scans to me and I will send them on to you. Prefer to send them email, can send larger pics that way... You sjut have to provide me with email address. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:15pm
Hello JC,

Thank you very much for your willingness to help me.
Unfortunately,... at the moment  my purchase of the 75 may not fly.

I sent the gentleman $1,000 down but now there are issues that will likely stop the deal.
Makes me sick but ... time will tell. Says he is returning my deposit but has not happened yet.

I would very much like to have the steering clutch information regardless as I am determined to buy a Monarch 75 for nostalgia reasons as soon as I can find a good machine.

Please do send the information to me at:   dancarolk@gmail.com
I will gladly send you or your friend a check for copy expense etc. Just let me know.
Thanks again,   MonarchDan
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:58pm
MonarchDan, that seems to happen far to often, make a deal, both agree upon, send a check and all at once the deal is off...   That happen to me too on a Monarch 50. 
 My Monarch 75 with a Wausau model 75 snowplow. Both need a lot of attention...
https://allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/Vplow_monarch_75.JPG
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:52pm
Hello JC and all,
BAD NEWS ... be aware and pass this info to friends.
It is now March 27. I sent a down payment in the amount of $1,000 on the Monarch 75 to a Clif Spain of Beaverton, Oregon 3/9/2019.
He then advised me on 3/12 he could not sell me the tractor but would return my deposit.
He has since disappeared and does not answer his telephone.
I contacted the police and showed them pics of the tractor and my money transfer. They tell me this is a scam. The theif takes a picture of a rare tractor, then contacts local tractor clubs or collectors saying he has a family tractor for sale.
I got taken because this guy had called Roger Amato at the HCEA club and Roger passed on the info believing the story about the 75.
I also talked to our local CAT club president who believed the story as well and as I am looking for a 75 ... I immediately sent the down payment. Sad!,
Anyway JC .. although my deal fell through, I still hope to find a 75 so if you can send me the service info you mentioned, I will gladly pay you for your expenses.
My address is: Dan Kennedy 5330 Sumner Ct. St Marys, KS 66536
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:07pm
Oh yeah, that sucks.  I used to think that business was best done on a "handshake", but have  found out the hard way that it doesn't always work anymore..  Here's a 75 at the Manitoba Thresherman's Museum not far from me:
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 9:27am
a bad situation no doubt.  Im confused as to the phone call from him saying he couldnt sell you the tractor and would return your deposit.  Not something a scammer would waste his time with once he has your money.  I sold some parts and shipped overseas once,  and didnt hear a thing for months,  and i figured it was a lost cause.  turned out the gentleman had a heart attack and was dealing with recovery issues but i did get paid in the end.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 9:50am
His call does seem strange but the police are trying to find him ( My local Sheriff Dept. Detective is in contact with Beaverton, OR cops)
Sheriff thinks he called to buy time while he changing his ID info.
Sheriff does think they will find him as he went to bank and is on video
IDK but it is strange and the way he gained our confidence is a new scheme I have been told.
Time will tell for sure!
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

a bad situation no doubt.  Im confused as to the phone call from him saying he couldnt sell you the tractor and would return your deposit.  Not something a scammer would waste his time with once he has your money.  I sold some parts and shipped overseas once,  and didnt hear a thing for months,  and i figured it was a lost cause.  turned out the gentleman had a heart attack and was dealing with recovery issues but i did get paid in the end.

I know what you are saying Cal and glad your situation turned out ok. He is doing well I am told. Reminded me to not assume the worse first.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:42am
MonarchDan, sent you a few emails on the steering clutches.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:51am
Thank you !!
I’ll look for the info. Let me know what I owe you. I want to make things right with you. Have a nice day! Dan
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:54pm
All I want, is to know that you received the material that I sent to the dancarolk email address ... and able to download and print it off.
 I down sized and resent info differently when service rejected first email.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:09am
So sad, a guy busts his hump trying to make things happen and all you get is a busted hump and then this guy comes along and takes that from you, ought to be a bounty on him.    Tad
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonarchDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 11:21am
I certainly agree. It is sad and we all need to be careful.
The detective told me it has become a racket ... the devils take a pic of s piece of equipment and claim it is theirs. Get somebody to make a deposit or down payment and then disappear.
Help spread the word.
This crook first asked me for a deposit of $2500 .. fortunately I said no and we agreed on $1000.
Makes me sick bc we used to do business on a handshake. SAD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic