This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern engine paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern engine paint
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:26am
Getting ready to assemble the rest of my 351 Windsor today. I had the pan and valve covers hot tanked and the insides look like new.
The paint on the sheet metal seems like some epoxy or something. Brake cleaner and hot tank didn’t touch it. Can I just paint over it or do I need to blast them first? I’m wondering about self etching primer?
Sponsored Links

bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:43am
I would never sand blast a oil pan or valve cover that’s off unless it still needs cooking , sand it clean then wipe it would not want sand dust in the new motor
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:53am
Thad,
 I like electrolysis for removing paint and corrosion. It may still require some sanding. You do have to build the tank and set it up.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:19am

Hey Thad,,,I'll bet its got some of ole Shameless's favorite ,,,, That danged,,,"Powder Coating" ,,,!!!
 Some of that stuff will last forever, if applied properly,,,,Clap
 Chit,,,did yo say you bought that engine form ole Cabin,,,,,,,LOLLOL
 UMMmm,,,sorry,,couldn't help myself,,,,,,,Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 14 Dec 2019 at 8:20am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:03pm
I would take sandpaper and scuff it then paint it.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:50pm
I'd scuff with 400Grit and use a spray epoxy. 3 decades ago 'Black Baron spray epoxy' sold at RC plane hobby shops was GREAT.. held up a lot better than balsa ! TOTALY fuelproof, glossy, smoooooth...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Thad,,,I'll bet its got some of ole Shameless's favorite ,,,, That danged,,,"Powder Coating" ,,,!!!
 Some of that stuff will last forever, if applied properly,,,,Clap
 Chit,,,did yo say you bought that engine form ole Cabin,,,,,,,LOLLOL
 UMMmm,,,sorry,,couldn't help myself,,,,,,,Wink

Desertjoe,
I powder coated a box last week for someone, that was making a show box for (let just say a female). Box was made wrong, she did not like the color she had pick out,etc.
That gallon of "will remove any type of coating" that I have in 3-120 minutes, has been at work for 27 hours and I have a few light spots at the most.
I guess I need to ship the box to Shameless and have him to look at it for 2-3 minutes, so the powder coat will fall off.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 5:35pm
I used a scotch brite and scuffed then good then cleaned and dried good before I installed them. Got it all together and ready to go in the truck.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:04am
color is gonna be pashonate pink....right?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:39pm
Only if it's a Ferd......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic