This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

model b steering help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gage164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: model b steering help
    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:03pm
i just had the spindles in my model b repaired , i installed new king pin bushings with  all the linkage hooked up and the front jacked in the air everything turns free. when you use the tractor it becomes hard to steer to the right . with the steering disconnected it turns free and easy . any suggestions on what to lok for?
Sponsored Links

TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm
Do you know if the steering gear has any type of lubricate in it.  If dry could be binding, mine has a 1/4" pipe plug near the shaft, I removed and replaced with grease fitting and added grease there as oil leaked out.
gage164 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gage164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:49pm
thank you for the reply , it does seem to have grease . what kind of grease did you use and how much did you put in ?
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:10pm
Some use whatever's in their grease gun.  Others specify lower viscosity (NLGI #0) "corn head" grease.  Only NLGI #0 grease I've found easily is John Deere's AN102562 & Schaeffer's #274 (white cap, NLGI #0).

Assuming your shaft seal is worn/leaking, pump it in until it starts coming out the seal.  Otherwise, give it some and try it.  Repeat until the binding lessens.

Ben
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:48am
you dont need corn head grease in the B... it came with oil in the beginning.. If it leaks out, then put a zerk and just use normal #2 grease you have for the farm... Anything is fine.....

also with the linkage connected and tires on the ground, turn the wheel left and right till the tire starts to move.. see how much PLAY you have in the gears inside the gear box... SLOP should be less than 45 degrees... If you can turn the wheel 45- 90 degrees than you need to consider internal repairs to gear box.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
gage164 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gage164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:10pm
Steve, I will check the play and let you know how much there is . what kind of oil did they use in the steering box?
gage164 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gage164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm
When I turn the wheel left it takes about 20 degrees for the wheel to move ,when I turn right it is a little less
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:12pm
thats good............ for oil, it was probably 90wt gear lube in the  beginning.. Dont really matter as long as it has SOMETHING in it.

thinking again, the  "corn head grease" is semi fluid like a mix of gear lube and grease... that would be great as the guys mentioned... I have just used regular #2 grease from a gun.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Oct 2020 at 7:14pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic