This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model A- Back in the Family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
34 Airflow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I'd bet when it was built,they didn't see the importance of "precise location". Close enough was close enough.
I think you are on the money there, it certainly is just slapped on. The bonnet decals from left to right are identical, hence why I was surprised at the fuel tank. Finding the original decals has confirmed the repro ones I have to go on are the correct sizing which is a bonus.
1937 Model A, 1937 Model U, 1929 United, 1945 Model C, 1949 WF, 1948 WC, 1956 D272 and a Roto Baler
http://www.australianallischalmersregistry.com/
Sponsored Links

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Herb(GA) Herb(GA) wrote:

Congratulations, your perseverance sure paid off. Your heavy duty farm wagon appears to have differentials in both front and rear axles? Herb(GA)
The old wagon was certainly a bit of farm engineering! We are lucky to have some great old photos from the property, I will share some others of the Model K and Model M crawlers use to create dams on the property in the 1930's.
1937 Model A, 1937 Model U, 1929 United, 1945 Model C, 1949 WF, 1948 WC, 1956 D272 and a Roto Baler
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:47am
I've been a bit slack updating this build however we have hit a big milestone with some Orange finally going on this week, more to come!

Edited by 34 Airflow - 15 May 2018 at 5:48am
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:10am
Travis,Looks great.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:26am
And a little more progress today;
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:26am
lookin real good
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:04am
AirFlow, A BIG WOW!!! goes out to you for the progress you have made on the heirloom.
  But do have a few questions like what size tires are on your tractor?
How are they set to miss the belt pulley? Tire size on my someday project A is 15x28 and are in the way of a belt pulley. Were your rims cut and extended?

second question is, when you finish yours, what is your address to send mine to?LOL

Since mine is a derelict, and the fenders and front shroud have been torched, I am not constrained to making it like factory original... thinking of making this one into an A-LPG... Definately would need a starter on it...lol
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

AirFlow, A BIG WOW!!! goes out to you for the progress you have made on the heirloom.
  But do have a few questions like what size tires are on your tractor?
How are they set to miss the belt pulley? Tire size on my someday project A is 15x28 and are in the way of a belt pulley. Were your rims cut and extended?

second question is, when you finish yours, what is your address to send mine to?LOL

Since mine is a derelict, and the fenders and front shroud have been torched, I am not constrained to making it like factory original... thinking of making this one into an A-LPG... Definately would need a starter on it...lol

Thanks for the kind words, the rears are 18.4 28s and they do clear the pulley, the rims themselves were cut down the middle and a strip was welded in, I will get some photos to show this a bit clearer.
As for restoring yours, the shipping to Australia would make it a costly exercise, and my project was very small by comparison. Glad to see yours has been saved and will one day be a tractor again! There is a large rally in my hometown next month and it is looking like we will make the deadline!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:38pm
34 that is totally inspiring. Looking GREAT. I was thinking about your project the other day and was going to look up your post, but I turned on the puter tonight and here you are. Again looking GREAT.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:19am
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

34 that is totally inspiring. Looking GREAT. I was thinking about your project the other day and was going to look up your post, but I turned on the puter tonight and here you are. Again looking GREAT.
Thanks Tom, I had a few slack months on the project but the last couple of months I have pulled my finger out. Hopefully this weekend I will make some significant progress on reassembly.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:08am
34 Airflow, I am glad to hear your going to make the deadline to show your tractor.
 As for the rims, Norm Meinert told me he has 15x28 rims that are offset to clear the belt pulley for the A.   mmm the 18.4x28 tires are cost more than 18.4x30 today, maybe he can get 18.4X30 offset rims?  Ermm   LOL Naw, that would probably open up another can of worms for fender clearance or something... 
 Will be waiting for end results and pictures at the show too. Thanks. JC

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:39pm

34 Airflow, I am glad to hear your going to make the deadline to show your tractor.
 As for the rims, Norm Meinert told me he has 15x28 rims that are offset to clear the belt pulley for the A.   mmm the 18.4x28 tires are cost more than 18.4x30 today, maybe he can get 18.4X30 offset rims?  Ermm   LOL Naw, that would probably open up another can of worms for fender clearance or something... 
 Will be waiting for end results and pictures at the show too. Thanks. JC

I think you are right about fender clearance, I wonder how much there would have been on mine when the tires had full tread, the current ones are well worn so it's no problem.
The guy who helped with the paint was trying to convince me to leave the fenders off and make it a hot rod model A, that would solve all the rubber problems!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:49am
Well I finally got the tractor back together in time for the local Steam Horse and Vintage Rally. I still have a few odd jobs to do yet but it certainly looks the part!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:03am
It sure does look the part,,,,,,,,,,,,, looks lean and mean!
Congrats!!!!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:59am
Very nice! Quite the project, but the results speak for themselves!!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 6:52am
Air flow,
 Great story and very nice restoration of the A! Glad you have this family tractor!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
Wonderful story so glad you were able to get your family tractor back.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 34 Airflow 34 Airflow wrote:

This tractor is solely responsible for my interest in Allis Chalmers Tractors. This Model A was purchased from Lanes Motors in 1937 after my grandfather, Gordon and his brother Neil sold their team of ten Clydesdale Horses for their property, Tyrrell Downs in Sea Lake Victoria. The tractor was the first Rubber Tyred tractor in the Mallee area with several photos of the tractor taken due to it's novelty. The photo below shows Neil behind the wheel and Gordon on the scoop behind.
<div ="separator" style="text-align: center; clear: both;">

When World War 2 hit the tractor remained a workhorse on the family farm in Sea Lake in the hands of Neil whilst Gordon served in the army in the Pacific. On return from War Gordon was offered a soldiers settlement property in Bamawm near Echuca Victoria which he took up as a small dairy farm. Neil retained the tractor over the years, moving to Wangaratta in Victoria and eventually restoring the tractor in the 1980's. After Neil's passing the tractor was kept by his family along with his other Allis' being a WD45 and an English Model B. Gordon tried to reacquire the tractor when it appeared in the Weekly Times for sale section around 1990, but an eagle eyed reader had been quicker to reach the phone and it was seemingly lost to the family. Gordon then decided to purchase a Model U to restore as he saw the enjoyment that Neil had in restoring and collecting Allis'. Several more Allis' were bought and restored by Gordon and his wife Joy over the years but an eye was always kept out to purchase a Model A even if it wasn't his original.
The photo below is the Model A tractor after Neil's restoration work.

Sadly Gordon passed away before finding an A of his own but the restoration bug had been passed onto myself at an early age, from sitting on the tractors to later helping with the restorations and buying my own tractors to restore alongside him. I had always chased every lead we had on a Model A even asking around at Rallies and Clearing Sales with the limited details we had of who had purchased the Model A and the approximate location of the buyer.
Eventually at the Lockington Vintage Tractor Rally in 2014 a man by the name of Mac Turner was introduced to me and he was from the area the A had sold to. It was a few days after the rally that Mac had a lead on a collector from the area that wasn't known to him but could be it although he had a big clearing sale a number of years prior. A phone number was found and after a few attempts contact was made and the owner did in fact own a Model A Allis he bought from Wangaratta many years earlier. An appointment was made to view the tractor in June of 2014 and a surprise road trip for my elderly grandmother was arranged with the mystery trip and lunch somewhere a good excuse for a day out. We entered the shed and there it was, my grandmother mentioned to the owner that they had one the same they bought new, to which he replied this was in fact the very same tractor! After the initial shock, photos of the tractor taken when new were shown and an understanding that if ever the tractor was to be sold it would be offered back to our family. Below is a shot from that reunion with myself, my mother and grandmother.

Contact was maintained over the years and in March 2017 an agreement to sell the tractor was agreed upon. The big day finally arrived and on April 9th 2017 the Model A returned to the same family it was purchased by new 80 years earlier in 1937.
After a busy couple of weeks cleaning and replacing the front tyres the tractor was taken to the 20th Lockington Vintage Rally for a surprise reunion with my family.
<div ="separator" style="text-align: center; clear: both;"><div ="separator" style="text-align: center; clear: both;">After a bit of work we tow started the tractor and got it moving under it's own power once again.<div ="separator" style="text-align: center; clear: both;">In the meantime the tractor will be pulled down for further maintenance and restoration work.
Now we need one more picture please. A picture of you, your mom, and grandma standing a long side of the "BIG A" now. Are you still over here to the Hutchinson show?
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:37pm
[/QUOTE] Now we need one more picture please. A picture of you, your mom, and grandma standing a long side of the "BIG A" now. Are you still over here to the Hutchinson show?[/QUOTE]
It would be great to get that photo, my Grandmother is very unwell sadly so to date she has only seen photographs of the restored A, and it seems likely that will be all she will see. I feel fortunate that she has been around for the restoration and that has been the big push to get it done.
It looks like Hutchinson is off for me this year for the same reason.

Thanks for all of the support on here!
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:54pm
Sorry to hear she is not doing so good. You tell her there is a Yank up North that wishes her well. Grandma's are one of the best things in life.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 1:16am
Thanks for the pic Airflow, Sure would like to see that pic of the three generations standing by the big A.
Now tell your grandma how much ye love her and give her a big kiss cuzz I sure miss my grandma...and she's been gone now goin on 40 years...
  MMM, maybe ye need to haul that A up to where she is at and get her to see it and maybe it will put some fire under her to get up and take a better look at it... I have seen old men look almost like kids again when looking and talking tractors at the old shows...
  Thanks again for your contribution to this site.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:57pm

Thanks for the pic Airflow, Sure would like to see that pic of the three generations standing by the big A.
Now tell your grandma how much ye love her and give her a big kiss cuzz I sure miss my grandma...and she's been gone now goin on 40 years...
  MMM, maybe ye need to haul that A up to where she is at and get her to see it and maybe it will put some fire under her to get up and take a better look at it... I have seen old men look almost like kids again when looking and talking tractors at the old shows...
  Thanks again for your contribution to this site.
The thought of taking the tractor to her has crossed my mind a few times, sadly she is completely bed ridden at the moment but if that situation changes I will see if I can get it to her. As it stands she has sparked up quite a lot seeing the progress and a week or so ago our local newspaper did an article on the tractor and featured the photo of the three of us with it shown in this thread. I know that she is very proud of what we have achieved and if for no other reason she has hung in enough to see it restored which is a bonus.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:02pm
Sad bit of news with regards to this story overnight we lost my grandmother.
Glad that I was able to spend so much time with her and that she was able to see the old A, it's just a shame she had been unable to see the finished product in the flesh.

Here's a photo from a rally back over 20 years ago of her and I on the D272;

Edited by 34 Airflow - 13 Nov 2018 at 7:04pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:21pm
Airflow, our condolances from here.
But Glad you got some extra time with your grandma, they are special.
  Peace be with you and your family in the coming days.    JC
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:26pm
Pretty neat story to share. Our first one was my Daughter-in-laws Grandpa's tractor. Good to keep them and the memories in the family. Have fun with it!!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:54pm
So sorry for your loss.  It looks like your Grandma really enjoyed being on the D272.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:06pm
Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.  Sounds like a special lady, much loved and appreciated by her family.

I've enjoyed following your story and project.  Happy to see it turn our so well.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:10pm
Sorry to hear for your loss
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:08pm
That is an awesome story with awesome photos!  Thank you for sharing your family history with AC heritage.  The photo with the wide tires makes it look like it could be the predecessor to the D21!

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 4:33am
Wonderful story and pictures. Sorry for the passing of your Grandmother. May God bring you peace and comfort during this sad time. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic