This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model 426 4 cylinder irrigation pump engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derka245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 426 4 cylinder irrigation pump engine
    Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 9:32pm
Just bought a stationary irrigation engine today. it has a Allis Chalmers id tag on it and says its a model 426 and made in japan. Does anyone know much about these engines are parts available or did I just buy a big paper weight?? 
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 10:26pm
At that time ( early 1980's) they had three of those foreign built engines: the 213 @ 32 HP, the 320 @ 53 HP and the 426 @ 72 HP. All three were a rated speed of 3600 RPM. I have no idea the brand and am pretty sure parts could be an issue.
derka245 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derka245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2024 at 10:55pm
Well that does not sound promising, was hoping to get this thing running again.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 7:59am
Derka.... i may be completely wrong, but look at it this way... ALLIS made a 426 engine.... The "BOUGHT" a "426" engine from Japan to use in small equipment to boost sales.... Many engines in Japan use a 3 digit designation... It is 4 Cylinder- 2.6 Liter engine... 426 ... Some have the G or D infront of that for gas or diesel.

I would bet this is the case with your engine. Nothing to do with ALLIS design or manufacturing.. The engine might be same as a fork truck, tractor, or auto..... I would be looking for some type of designation on the block or valve cover... Search photos of 2.6 liter Japan engines on line..... Think Mitsubishi, Toyo, Hindoxxxx, etc...

If you get some type of NAME, then check with that car dealer..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 6:23pm
Ok- so where is this Japan at on the engine?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 7:23pm
since nobody seems to have much data on the engine... would be nice to see a few Photos and description  ( over head cam ?  carburetor model ? alternator model ? ) ... and any distinguishing features / numbers on the engine . ... we would all learn something..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
derka245 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derka245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 10:31pm
Was not able to bring the engine home from the auction sale as it had a bad tire on the trailer, hopefully will be able to bring it home tomorrow and then will take some pictures and post them 
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 10:58pm
Could it have been a 4-cylinder version of the engine used in the 5020? Made by Hinimoto?
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 8:52am
I did some digging on these engines for a customer that had a genset with one of these engines on them.  They are actually a Mitsubishi engine, and many parts - waterpumps, starters etc are available for them.  I didn't really dig too much deeper than this looking for other stuff, but I was able to get the guy what he needed - a water pump  (this was a situation where the unit could not be down to rebuild the current pump).  Most anything I was able to find on them was thru gray market warehouses on the west coast.  I will look to see if I can find the corresponding mitsubishi model number, but no guarantees as it was a while ago.

**  I looked back thru my notes.  I believe this is a mitsubishi S4 or S4E engine.
One of the major determining factors in nailing this down was that there is also a S2, and S3 engine in the same series that line up directly with the 213 and 320 engines that AC offered in this series

Edited by Pfouts Family Farm - 04 Jun 2024 at 9:13am
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 8:57am
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

Could it have been a 4-cylinder version of the engine used in the 5020? Made by Hinimoto?

I initially thought this could be a possibility, but NOTHING matched up with anything I could find on Hinimoto. 
derka245 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derka245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 11:05pm
Looks like its a Mitsubishi S4E got the engine home today and actually got it running but it seems like it must have a stuck closed injector, cant seem to figure out how to put pictures on here or I would 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic