This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miles Vrs. Engine hours ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles Vrs. Engine hours ??
    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:54pm
Now that engine hours can be had on the "info" center , what would any of you guys feel as a buying guide ? Thanks 
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
I still go by miles. Hours rack up when you're idling not just moving
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:37pm
well they _should_ give you hours, idling, hours <30MPH, hours<60MPH.
heck give a fancy screen full of colourful graphs.....
yet more useless 'hightech' stuff like the driver controlled USB ports....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:10pm
Hours are only useful for something like a bucket truck or electrical line truck that drives to a site, sets and runs at idle - half throttle for 5-6 hours, then drives back to the shop.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm
Jay, this is on a '05 Ford that doesn't quite have the "screen" that your thinking of Big smile !! Yes, the dash of a '18 or newer is probably more sophisticated than an F 15 fighter LOLLOL !
Steve, is there a "downfall" to the engine hours in the scenario that you described as far as engine longevity ?

Edited by FREEDGUY - 21 Jan 2021 at 7:18pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:29pm
Well, i have seen Division ( electric company) that have 5 or 10 ton trucks that might be 12 years old and have 40,000 miles on them .... but them might have been running 1500 rpm 7 hours a day,  5 days a week, 52 weeks out of the year, for 10 years..... so your getting a truck with the frame / body having 40K miles, and the motor having 20,000 hours.... Good ? Bad ? ..... just something to keep in mind.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Jan 2021 at 7:31pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
Have seen 3/4 - 1 ton trucks at construction sites that set there and idle all day long with the air conditioner on... guys taking breaks, eating lunch, radio , generator use... etc....... same idea.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:54pm
for past 10 years or so ford's computers in their vehicles run up miles while they are idleing. it won't show on the odometer but shows on the vehicles computer, they use that for warranty work/claims. i don't know if GM or others do the same thing or not.  
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
My wife’s Ford Explorer has 99,500 miles, dashboard computer shows 795 driving hours. Something don’t jive with those numbers.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:54pm
Just go by the oil change light. The ecm takes ideling in account in the change time if it idles slot itll signal a change as early as 2000 miles trucks that do alot of highway miles it go aslong as 10000 miles between changes
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

My wife’s Ford Explorer has 99,500 miles, dashboard computer shows 795 driving hours. Something don’t jive with those numbers.

Tell your wife that she drives too fast. LOL
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:57pm
She is a lead foot, and a tailgater, but she ain’t that fast.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:39am
I'd rather have one that ran for hours on end vs started and shut off repeatedly.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 5:36pm
I just toggled the dash on my '05 Ford super duty and had 8250 hours/182,000 miles. I'm the second owner and the original owner used it as a plow/salt spreader unit Cry
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:19pm
i have let mine run al night before when hooked up to the camper.  Kinda like an over powered generator.  LOL

I have installed one of those gizmos  that sets the idle to 900 when I flip the switch.

Seems the last long night the ole 6.2 used a 1/4 tank of gas, and that is a BIG tank. Confused

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

i have let mine run al night before when hooked up to the camper.  Kinda like an over powered generator.  LOL

I have installed one of those gizmos  that sets the idle to 900 when I flip the switch.

Seems the last long night the ole 6.2 used a 1/4 tank of gas, and that is a BIG tank. Confused

38 gallon tank by any chance ??
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:19am
38 gallon tank by any chance ??

I thought it was only 37.  LOL
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:24am
FYI. My pickup has 522 hours on it and 19825 miles, maybe 30 minutes idle time. Bought new July 5 2019. All highway miles. Do hours v/s miles depend on rest end ratio?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:32pm
Tom.... 19,825 miles divided by 522 hours means you average SPEED is 40 MPH on the road.... that takes into account any IDLE TIME, setting at stop lights, etc.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:42am
In heavy equipment and trucks One hour equated to 50 engine operation miles.   Idling was harder on engines due to running cold, carbon buildup, lower oil flows across lubricated parts.  That has been a standard for maintenance to me since 1975.

More Idle time and fewer miles is harder on a machine than running full out high miles full load.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 7:36am
Total agreement with DMiller. Base my tractor oil changes and such on that, back figure to cars and pickups, all about the same.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:48am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

In heavy equipment and trucks One hour equated to 50 engine operation miles.   Idling was harder on engines due to running cold, carbon buildup, lower oil flows across lubricated parts.  That has been a standard for maintenance to me since 1975.

More Idle time and fewer miles is harder on a machine than running full out high miles full load.

While idling is hard on engines, when running a turbo charged engine at full out under full load produces huge pressures that are very hard on an engine that manufactures must take into consideration.

2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:30am
Turbocharged engines are designed and built with that in mind, they routinely manage 6-900,000 miles before Overhaul.  It is the sitting idling or just off idle slobbering that destroys and/or cokes up turbochargers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic