This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Menards Vinyl Siding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Menards Vinyl Siding
    Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:41pm
I have done framing/trim/cabinetry work for this "small time" builder that LIVES and DIES with the Menards "complete" package including the vinyl siding/aluminum soffit/facia. Well,I had a lull in my schedule and contracted to install the siding portion. What a mistake on my part!!Cry .The material was delivered in a HUGE bunk that had more forklift fork holes in the boxes than  a cube of Swiss cheese, completely the wrong "accessories" parts (J channels,utility trims, J blox) the list goes on and on  and on top of the damaged materials, it took 2 people to snap-in the first row into the mis-matched steel starter strips AngryCry . NEVER AGAIN will I partake in a Menards siding project, don't care if the "special" is 22% off, NOT WORTH THE HASSLE !!
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:45pm
Buying cheap is a good way to lose money. Some of the local governments around here are discussing not allowing vinyl siding on any construction projects. Initially it is cheap but personally I don't like it because if it is not installed correctly it looks bad plus it doesn't last and it melts and sags if close to another structure that burns. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Buying cheap is a good way to lose money. Some of the local governments around here are discussing not allowing vinyl siding on any construction projects. Initially it is cheap but personally I don't like it because if it is not installed correctly it looks bad plus it doesn't last and it melts and sags if close to another structure that burns. 

Not knocking the vinyl siding industry, I have installed 100's of boxes of the product from several manufacturers over the years. My gripe is how Menards handles/ships/guesstimates a project Confused . 15 trips back and forth to exchange bad/damaged/mis-figured materials eats into that 11% off B/S REALLY quick !! IMO, the 11% off scam should be investigated Shocked
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:03pm
You get what you pay for!  Ya buy cheap, ya get cheap, ya buy top, ya get top!  I have done/installed, many hundreds of square of siding, only buying the best, and with a good finished product! AND happy customer.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:08pm
Didn't mean to insinuate that you were knocking vinyl siding and I definitely saw your point on how Menards handles their projects. All that savings is eaten up and then some by lost time getting their screw ups corrected. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
I did my house in vinyl. took two days.  I figured out everything I needed and then went to the siding store and hauled it home myself.  Didn't have any defective material, except maybe some that were cut backwards or too short.

I got a siding cutter, like a paper cutter, but the blade comes straight, pivots on both ends.  It sure made that job a whole lot easier.

I can give you some other tips if you are not familiar with installing vinyl.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:50pm
I always laughed at the row houses i'd pass on the way to work each day. all had some kind of vinyl siding. when it was hot out, the siding would be bulged out, and then if the wind blew the neighbors got their siding. mostly all them houses have been re-sided every year on the west sides.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I did my house in vinyl. took two days.  I figured out everything I needed and then went to the siding store and hauled it home myself.  Didn't have any defective material, except maybe some that were cut backwards or too short.

I got a siding cutter, like a paper cutter, but the blade comes straight, pivots on both ends.  It sure made that job a whole lot easier.

I can give you some other tips if you are not familiar with installing vinyl.

The bouncing boobs forgiven, I've been installing siding since 1987, probably have siding tools you've never seen/heard of, CERTAINLY don't need any "tips" on installing inferior - insert store name- products Smile . Thanks though for the bouncies Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:58am
I will not ever install vinyl again, waste of money and time. Use a reputable yard for ordering, gave up on Lowes Home Depot and Menards some time back for large orders, use them on occasion for odd stuff but the local lumber company for a better grade materials and delivery people.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:12pm
Menards is like every other business, all the products they carry are not created equal, you can buy just as much junk from your local lumber yard. Here in Michigan we are being bombarded by "steel siding manufacturers". They claim to offer the same warranty as the name brand suppliers at a significant savings, but in twenty years if their material starts going bad, they will be headed Chapter 13. The biggest issue with quality control is that they are rolling it on tinker toy skate wheel roller stands that won't hold tolerance for width, some of the stuff varies as much as 1/4" off in a three foot sheet, pretty handy on a 60' building when you come up 5" long or short at the far end. There might be a reason why the roller stands in an industrial rolling facility have 6" axles and 20" diameter rolls, but people still flock to these guys to save a buck. If you press them on warranty information, they will tell you the warranty actually goes back to the manufacturer, which is usually someone in the steel siding business and sells the product if flat roll form , the warranty also states that there is no warranty if the product defect is because of improper forming technique. Let the finger pointing begin if there is a problem.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:57pm
Guys. Many years ago I put Menards premium venal siding on the peaks of my huse. I was taken aback at just how cheap it was. A couple of years later our little country church needed painted. We decided to put vinyl on it. The minister had been a siding installer in his earlier life. He still had access to the siding they put on. Guys this siding was twice as thick as Menards Premium vinyl siding. He still had the tools, it took the guys 2 afternoons to put it on. That's been 15-20 years ago. It still looks good.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:46pm
so what are the names of the good vinyl siding?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

so what are the names of the good vinyl siding?

ANYTHING that comes from any "locally owned" lumber yard,strictly a siding/roofing supplier !! Crane, LP, Mastic to name a few. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:58pm
In my opinion, there is NOTHING wrong with a quality vinyl siding product on a home. I am well of the lack of job application values that give good products a bad name, it really doesn't take much longer to install vinyl correctly vrs. what most applicators put out Unhappy .
My original gripe is that Menards sells mis-matched products that the weekend warrior would NEVER be able to make work Cry. You guys that think Menards is "helping" your wallets are sadly mistaken !!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:57pm
I buy EVERYTHING I need at Menards... That being said, I figure out what I need and then buy it.. I MATCH everything together.... Don't matter if im doing plumbing, wiring, rough framing of finish.... That being said, I have use their steel roof panels, but I have never used much plastic siding, except for skirting on an old house trailer.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:49pm
Shameless this vinyl siding came in boxes with no name on them. Sorry I can't tell you what it was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic