This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega Colossal Scew Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mega Colossal Scew Up
    Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:49pm
Surely no one will ever surpass this.

I finally get brilliant and heat the oversize bushing for a new crank sealing surface and it goes right on, after not going on for tortuous time before.  I have 1/10 second of elation getting it on, then total despair as it didn't go all the way.  I remove the oil pan to see what's going on, can't see anything.  I unbolt the flywheel cover and it won't budge, being locked tight with this bushing.  Nothing will budge.  I don't see how I can reheat it again with the crank being a super heat sink.  What the heck to do?

Is that the "oil slinger" lip against the flywheel cover?  Biggest mess I've been in.

Sponsored Links

JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 9:33pm
Beat it on home and see what happens.
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 9:55pm
Somehow it's jammed against the flywheel cover and won't budge.  I don't understand why there wouldn't be clearance for it.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 10:11pm
Is it on far enough to cover the seal and do its job ?... just cut the last 1/8 inch off with a die grinder and call it good !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 10:32pm
I was thinking that but the flywheel cover will never ever come off again.  Don't know why it's blocked from sliding on rest of the way any there isn't any clearance for it.   I tried a long pry bar with the flywheel bolts removed and it's a frozen solid as can be.  Maybe after grinding it down, getting the flywheel on, mounting the starter, and see if that will free it up a bit.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:29pm
The flange is supposed to be cut off after you install it. Whatever it is jammed against would not have been present at the time. Chisel it off and get another one. Put the new one on, then cut the installation flange with a side cutter and peel it off, leaving only the sleeve itself.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:42pm
This may have a lot to do with it.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 12:12am
They don't tell you that in putting that bushing on that the flywheel housing needs to be machined oversize, I believe.  If I can trim it down, get the flywheel on, oil that bushing well before hand against the flywheel housing, hopefully the torque of the starter will grind a little clearance between the bushing and the flywheel cover.

Looking at this picture, there seems to be no space for the bushing through the housing.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 9:11pm
My art work after grinding and cutting it down. Cannot for life of me get oil seal installed.  Stymied again.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 5:37am
There is probably a special tool to make this easier.  I'm not saying go spend a mint on it.
If you have a wood lathe, you probably could make it, use the crank dowel pins to mount a tapered round block of wood, with the taper just a little bigger than the diameter of that sleeve, and tap it right into place.  JMHOWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:21am
not the best appearing but should work, and saves a mountain of time and more work.  i would takes some emery cloth and dress the leading edge so as to not damage the seal on install, but since you posted about trouble installing the seal I have commented too late.  of course you may have already done this.Big smile
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 5:32pm
the sleeve has a sharp 90 degree edge.. It should be rolled or tapered at an angle so the seal can start, then slide up onto the new  OD.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:20pm
Have you mic'ed the OD of the wear sleeve and the ID of the seal? Sometimes parts are mispackaged or the wrong part is sent. Keep after it. You'll get it done.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 11:27pm
They seem right.  My caliper only goes to 0.01 inch.  I assumed like an ass the sleeve was no big deal.  Getting it on the crank dwarfed wondering if it would fit through the flywheel cover.  Knowing before hand and getting the flywheel cover machined would be the only way.  The huge thing right now is finding out if the sleeve against the flywheel will quickly relieve any contact, scraping, and grinding.  I can see it going either way.  I"m trying to remount the flywheel without the seal so I can attach the starter to see if it can initiate motion and solution.  Amazing how the first time doing something takes one to distant lands of discovery.  I didn't know wrenching could send one into the occult.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 9:08am
your picture from the service manual shows that the flywheel might  PILOT onto the first 1/8 inch of  shaft where the new sleeve is setting ?   Better check that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic