This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

magneto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bret (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: magneto
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:11am
I highly recommend Steve for mag repair and rebuilding.  He has done quite a few for us and his work is second to none.  They will come back to you looking and working like new.  As far as I am concerned, his prices are in line with the quality he delivers. 
Sponsored Links

dirtyredcub View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyredcub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:46am
hey steve how much to rebuild this one?
JCSinPITTS,PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCSinPITTS,PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:40am
Whats the "average" cost to rebuild/check over a magneto?
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 10:21pm
The "J" series Mag was the most common through the B/C model Tractors. Fairbanks released the "X" series mag to replace the "J". One of the main reasons was the wobbly timing gear when the "J" series lower cover that houses the fiber gear bushing wears out. The "X' is designed with everything on the breaker plate, so as you lift the lower dust cover there is no worry of taking the Mag outta' time. One of the big improvements over the "J" series. Both model Mags utilize the same coil, but the contact sets & lower covers are different from one another. The condenser's are the same. The "X" is actually the better Mag and was the last replacement Mag before the Distributor came on the scene. Being I'm a Fairbanks dealer and rebuilder, I stock quite a bit of service parts for all Fairbanks/Morse model Magneto's...HTH
Steve@B&B
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyredcub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 9:39pm
thanks ya'll gonna look at them closer tomorrow
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:44pm

I have the FM section of Neil Yernigan's magneot book scanned, and the FMJ instruction sheets scanned.  I can send them to you if you want to send me an e-mail.

Adam

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyredcub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:42pm
this mag is orange and dont appear to be repainted. who knows but i'll get to the bottom of it cause now i want to know lol thanks

Edited by dirtyredcub - 14 Apr 2010 at 8:44pm
RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:29pm
I am quickly venturing outside of my knowledgeable areas, but here goes.  I have a X4B3 on my '49 B.  It is my understanding that the X4B3 is an upgraded FM-J.  So the package may still just refer to it as a FM-J.  I think I remember Steve in NJ saying that the coil was sealed differently, so maybe that may be an issue too.  I can't explain the points.  I do have a FMJ and X4B3 manual on .pdf some where.  I'll see if I can dig them out and update later.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:24pm
The tractor model should not be used to order parts for a Mag. Use the mag info such as FM X4B3. Any parts supplier worth using would ask what Mag you had.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 14 Apr 2010 at 8:25pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:23pm
Per my parts manual, it depends on the engine number. The common mag reference is FMJ4B3. However, for engine # prior to CE-101 and CE-14610 through CE-15109 there's a reference to a distributor. Since you have a mag, I suspect that you don't care about that! You refer to FMX4B3 which differs from the parts book reference. HTH

I believe that the letter following the FM (Fairbanks Morse) refers to the tractor manufacturer. "J" is AC, but I don't know which company "X" refers to - but not AC. Likely the source of your incompatible parts.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 14 Apr 2010 at 8:27pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyredcub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:16pm
i'm wondering if somebody put a newer mag on it and with me going by the year model if i ordered the wrong thing? or a mag from a different model?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:12pm
I think the FM J was the more common Mag. Maybe the coil is for the J model. I don't know if they would be different.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyredcub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:07pm
 i got my new magneto coil in but it doesnt look like the right one it is for a model c according to the package . also the new points will not work. i have a fairbacks morse type fm x4b3 is this the correct magneto for a 1949 model c?thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic