This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magneto wont stop!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magneto wont stop!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:29pm
I have a Fairbanks Morse Type FM-4B magneto on our restoration tractor (Minneapolis Moline) and altough we were very pleased to get the old girl running, it wont shut off!!! We have a new kill switch and the wire is new to the magneto cap. I even tried to ground it using a screwdriver to the button on the cap and frame, and she keeps on running like the Energizer rabbit. Any ideas what to look for??? Thanks in advance, Ryan
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:36pm
Sounds to me like the shut down wire from the points to the ground lever isn't connected at one end. You'll probably need to get inside and see if the wire is off...
Steve@B&B
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:41pm

Magnetos are a new thing to me, and I was glad it worked!!! When I took the cap off, the post that the kill switch connected to wasnt hooked to anything!! We were not sure what if anything was missing. So your saying it connects to the points somehow??

Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:42pm
First we had runaway Toyotas now we have a runaway Minneapolis Moline. LOL
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:47pm
I can assure you Jeff this tractor does not have the complex electronics that that car has!!!LOL
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:54pm
With the 4B in particular, the large retangular cap has a grounding pin @ the top of the cap. This pin in turn contacts the points breaker plate inside. Outside there is usually a "candycane" style grounding lever. You can also attach a remote kill switch to the grounding pin to kill the Mag remotely. If you don't have a grounding pin kit, I have em' in stock for the 4B and "K" series F/M's. Drop me a line if interested..... HTH
Steve@B&B 
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 9:02pm
If te grounding wire is disconnected inside of the mag, it needs to be connected to the same screw as the condenser. which is at the bottom of the opening, below the points.
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic