This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M-65 Transmission won't shift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d9gdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M-65 Transmission won't shift
    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:20pm
My M-65 grader seems to be hung between two gears. The forward reverse lever will move back and forth but the gear selector will not move between gears. It is hung up.

What do I need to look for? I am draining the oil overnight so I can pull the shifter cover off the side of the trans.

Why would it do this, is it a worn fork?

Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:20am
likely the end of the shifter is worn and the gate area of forks worn some as well
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
d9gdon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d9gdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:55am
I found out some new information yesterday.

My son said the bolts that hold the shift lever down in the side cover came loose when he was using it.

I'm pretty sure that would have let the trans shift into another slot before the slot it was riding in went back to center.

I got the cover off last night but I'll take a look at the wear on the shifter before I put it back together.

I'm just glad that it wasn't a bigger problem in there.
Thanks

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 11:39am
sounds like you found the issue Thumbs Up

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 9:20pm
You might need a small mirror on stick when you put that side cover back on , to make sure the 3 shift forks go in the groove on the sliding gears . Also you can use a couple of longer bolts (say 3 or 4 " long ) in the side plate to hold it up leaving a gap for your mirror and slide the gears with a long screwdriver to aline with the forks ! then slide the side cover on and put the correct bolts back  in .
 Bit of a job but can be done 

d9gdon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d9gdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Steve allis dozer Steve allis dozer wrote:

You might need a small mirror on stick when you put that side cover back on , to make sure the 3 shift forks go in the groove on the sliding gears . Also you can use a couple of longer bolts (say 3 or 4 " long ) in the side plate to hold it up leaving a gap for your mirror and slide the gears with a long screwdriver to aline with the forks ! then slide the side cover on and put the correct bolts back  in .
 Bit of a job but can be done 

Well, I didn't see your post until now after putting it back together wrong twice. Very, very aggravating to get it all together with oil in it and finding out it's not right.

This makes perfect sense, I'm about to try for the third time now. Thanks
d9gdon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d9gdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:03pm
Well, it worked like a charm.

Another trick is to use the camera with flash on a smart phone to take a pic as you slide it in to make sure they're going in the slots. It sure made it easy and I knew it was right when I bolted it back together.

I also put some blue Lock Tite on the gearshift retainer bolts.

It's back to working perfectly.
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:18am
Glad it worked out , they are good old machines just remember to warm it up before working it hard and Always let it cool down run it just above idle for a few minutes before shutting her down , they are very expensive engines to Rebuild but if you keep up the maintenance they do a lot of work 
d9gdon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d9gdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:33am
I've been slowly rebuilding it since I bought it about 7-8 years ago.

It had a very hard life at Chevron before I bought it in pieces. Had to wait two years to find a transmission from a parts machine to buy, as you know the reverse gear is made of unobtanium but I put it all back together and prolly have 7-800 hours of work on it since then.

It was real sloppy in every joint, but the parts machine was lightly used and I've been swapping parts to get it back tight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic