This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing Coolant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing Coolant
    Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 9:54pm
Hey guys,

I did a coolant flush and replaced the coolant on a 185 I recently purchased. It’s maybe ran for 5-10 minutes after I replaced the coolant as I was working on other parts of the tractor and it’s just been sitting for a couple weeks. I put another 8 litres in and that wasn’t even enough to fill it up so it seems like a decent leak?

I found one hose that had a very slight drip but doesn’t seem like enough to leak that much. Tractor doesn’t blow any smoke when running. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 10:54pm
If it's been sitting for a couple of days or more, loosen the engine oil drain plug to the last thread and let out a thimble full of oil. If it drips antifreeze you have sleeve Orings leaking.
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 11:52pm
Just looking at the service manual here would that be the 2 silicone packing rings on the cylinder sleeve?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 4:43am
If there is coolant in the motor oil, that is usually the problem. Check for coolant in the motor oil the way I described how to do it. You say you just drained and refilled with new coolant. How much new coolant did you pour in ??    4 1/2 gallons ?? because that's what it holds.
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 8:46am
Ya when I originally refilled it I did 4.5 gallons. I’ll let it sit one more day then I’ll check it the way you were saying. Hoping it’s just a leaky hose that I’m missing!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 9:11am
Water pump seeping down the front of the block can be a hard one to trace sometimes.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 9:49am
I put a big piece of cardboard under it over night if it leaks easy to see where
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 9:56am
Good idea. Hard to see leaks in a gravel driveway haha.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 2:34pm
Has the radiator been boiled out and pressure tested?
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 4:31pm
Did you pull the dip stick and check the engine OIL LEVEL ??  That will eliminate several possibilities..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 10:49pm
I haven’t done any radiator tests. What’s the process in that or is that something to just Google?

I just checked the oil level this evening and it hasn’t changed
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 10:57pm
I just checked the oil level this evening and it hasn’t changed

well, thats GOOD NEWS...Still possible your leaking past the head gasket and BURNING coolant, but EXTERNAL leak is a bigger possibility since nothing is in the oil !!
TimmyG185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyG185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 11:23pm
I’m still gonna try what DrAllis was saying just to confirm. Doesn’t seem like the hose I tightened up stop it from dripping so I’m gonna do some more looking there
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 6:59am
I'm inclined to think it's your leaking hose. If you can visibly see it leaking, it's not improbable to have lost that much in a couple of weeks.
Bo water in the oil would rule out the cylinder seals. If there was much water in the oil you would visibly see it on the dipstick. It would show WAY over full.
As to a bad head gasket, to loose that much antifreeze, it would have been burning more water than fuel. You would think there would have been a very visible cloud of smoke.
I would fix the leak first and go from there.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 8:27am
Dans idea about the water pump dripping is an idea.. But you should see that.. I have seen radiator caps loose their PRESSURE SETTING and allow antifreeeze to BLOW OFF as it warms up.. Vaporizes and gets blown away by the fan.. Sometimes you dont see anything.

If its not burning it , and not leaking onto the ground... look at the radiator cap.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 9:58am
Find someone with a sensitive nose.  They may be able to smell an external antifreeze leak.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic