This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for HD11 info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for HD11 info
    Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 11:08am
I’m helping a friend get his dozer running. It has set for 3 yrs. He said it was a beast before the trans went out. The trans was rebuilt and put back in and wasn’t touched since. The engine was rebuilt prior to the friend buying it. It’s in awesome shape. I’m trying to figure out the year and other info I can get. I have some free pdf files of different HD parts manuals, I would love to get ahold of the service manual for that model. I know the engine is a 11000, I would like to know what the other numbers mean. I have pics of the engine serial plate. The dash plate is gone but I have a pic of the serial number stamped on the rear. The engine plate numbers are, engine model 11000, engine serial 11-17337. Now for the dozer serial, it doesn’t look like anything anyone else has posted. It’s stamped HD11 305. My main concern for right now is what fluid to put in the transmission. I’ve read two different things, one said use 10wt and one said 80-90w would work. Which would be best? I want to do it right the first time. I already assume 80-90w goes in the bevel gear area.
Notice the six on the far right of the dozer serial number. It’s bigger and a different style of stamp. Looks like someone took a grinder to it to read the numbers or something. I don’t think it’s deep enough to take off numbers though.
If I could just get a little help with a service manual and what oils to use, should have it up and going in a few days.

Just remembered. I also am looking for a fitting for the return line that connects to the fuel tank. Fitting was lost. The male fitting on the fuel tank itself looks to be 3/8. I tried a couple different 3/8 fittings and they wouldn’t screw on and I didn’t want to force it. The parts manual say

I’ll get more pics of the dozer and post them later. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links

I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 12:21pm
I worked on a great many HD 11's back in the 70's and 80's. ASSUMING it's gear drive. There were some powershift and converter drives, but I think we used the same oil in all of them. It was 821 powerfluid back then. That's what we put in transmissions, wet clutches, and power steering systems. Only place for gear oil was the final drives. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 12:55pm
I have been around a number of HD 5's,6's,and 9's.All the same design as the HD 11 was only a engine update from a HD 9. All had gear oil in transmission at least as far as I knew. That's what my dad and uncle gave me to put in if needed. Also have a herd of Cat D6's I mess with today,same vintage as the AC's. I know Cat updated and recommended 30 or 50 weight oils in the 70's,but rescinded that and went back to saying heavier gear oil was OK.

Wink But I do have original operators manual for the HD 5. It says 50 wt oil above 32 degrees and 30 wt below 32,in finals and transmission.Since this HD5 has had 85/140 for the last 50 years I don't think I will change now. So just make sure there is some dino juice in the tractor and just a little luck everything will be well.

That is if it is a gear drive. I have never had a power shift but would hope the modern hydraulic / transmission oil would be OK as original spec oil has no doubt all been superseded.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 3:11pm
Put up some more pics of this HD11. You havn,t told us if its geardrive or powershift.
Also show some pics of the steering levers.
The engine serial number is similar to my HD11EP which is a 1970 model ; mines 11-17761. So engine is certainly 1970 era.
Chassis number doesn,t really make sense to me, so something strange going on there. I suspect it may have had a transplant with a later engine.
pics will tell us abit more about it
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:23am
If the transmission is standar shift you need 80/90 gear and final drive too and power shift transmission use 10wt oil.
DozerD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:37am
Thanks everyone great info. That’s exactly what I was thinking, an older machine with a newer engine. Also someone added a turbo. Worked on it last night, got it to fire up on starting fluid. We opened an injector to bleed air and nothing was coming from the injector pump. I know we are getting fuel to the pump. I know it’s a Roosa Master pump. I have a pdf of a parts manual for S/N 101 thru 12200. Does anyone have a service manual? Pics on the way.
DozerD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:42am
DozerD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:44am
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 2:53pm
Someone definetly took a grinder to the rear housing to grind away the serial numbers. Its a early HD11B prior to serial number 6069. That has had a late 11000 engine fitted to it.
11000 engines are all turbocharged. 10000 engines were non turbo.
HD11B was short track frame; which it is, HD11E was long trackframe.
After 6069 they had power assisted dry steering clutchs. Yours is prior to this with the long steering levers.
Looks to still have the dry master clutch fitted.  But to your question about gearbox oil, can be sae 50 engine oil or 90 gearbox oil for it
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DozerD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:28pm
Thank you. Do you know approximate gallons in trans, dip stick is missing. Does The oil fill over into the rear bevel area from the trans or do you fill that separate? I did screen shot a list on this site from Lazyts, on fluid capacities, I don’t know how accurate the numbers are but I was using it as a guideline. Sorry for sounding like such a newbie and asking so many questions, I’m new to this machine and have no books on it. Internet info is scarce. Most info I’ve found about hd11’s is on here. I appreciate all info I can learn from the experienced operator or mechanic. On the Roosa pump, I’ve researched some troubleshooting and things to I’ll try. If the pump needs rebuilt could you point me in the right direction of the correct kit. I’ve been looking at some, just want to get it right.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:16am
Looked up my old book for one a mate had HD11B 1351  which is what yours is close to
said 6.75 gallons  sae 50 oil for transmission
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:10am
The oil capacité from LAZYTS are correct and I should have a transmission dipstick and have a operator,a service and a parts manual for these old HD11.
                       gemdozer@hotmail.com
DozerD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:59pm
Thanks for the replies. Dozer will start will a couple shots of starting fluid, but won’t start on its own. Opened up all the lines on the injectors and not getting any fuel to come out. We took off the top cap of the pump and it’s full of fuel. Any suggestions? Thanks gemdozer I’ll send you an email and we can work out details.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:57am
Did you check if the fuel tank is full fuel and if the valve is full open and if the line is't clogged in front and the motor was instaled on a other machine make sure the trottle rod is't opposite
DozerD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DozerD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:06am
Tank is half full or more and valve is open. We have good flow of fuel up to the pump, just nothing out of it. We are getting power to the wire on the top cap. Just a thought. The first time I had the cap off I was looking at the parts inside, and the mechanism that is down and to the side of the throttle spring. It looks like it’s supposed to move so I tried to move it and it didn’t move, didn’t think about it either, figured it moved with the solenoid. I put it back together, we messed with it a while longer and got nothing out of it. So I said screw it and took the pump off, thinking it needs rebuilt. I took the top cap off again and was studying that mechanism again and figured out that solenoid lines up with that which would be part of the engine kill? Correct? So I then budged that thing with the tip of a screw driver it was stuck a tiny bit. I didn’t have to put much pressure on it. Now it moves freely by finger. So I put 2 and 2 together that is part of the fuel shut off that is kicked off by that solenoid. So now that i think I wasted all that time taking off the pump, all I had to do was break that free. I went to put the pump back on the shaft I noticed one of the little umbrella gaskets looks a little rough. I guess that’s where I’m at now, ordering shaft seals.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:28pm
be gentle/careful installing pump over umbrella seals.don't roll the lip or fuel will fill the crankcase
Hd11Bowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11Bowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
Re tranny oil: mine is direct drive 6 forward and 6 reverse H/L I use TO4 10W
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 6:04am
The transmissionshould have SAE 50 OR 80/90 oil gear
Hd11Bowner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hd11Bowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 7:00am
thanks dozerd I was told by previous owner to use to4 10w might try your specs because the to4 10w seems to leak out quickly
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic