This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Livelihood's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff77indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:09am
Retired from the Navy in 1996 as a E-6 submarine ping jockey, been working since in industrial maintenance at present as a process engineer/maintenance supervisor at a plant that makes fire proof filing cabinets.
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:34am
field service maintaining and repairing medical laboratory equipment for 33 years, and then field service maintaining and repairing  medical and industrial research laboratory equipment for the past 17 years.
I have worked in hospital labs, morgues, municipal emergency rooms, operating rooms water and waste plants, power plants, biohazard level 2 and 3 labs, and all sorts of industrial facilities, from dog food, to gypsum, graphite, lubricants, talcum powder, large diesel engine CAT converters, etc, manufacturing. 

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
GeneD14 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:34am
I did carpentry for 7 years and then worked in automotive for the last 32 years. I can't wait to retire!!!
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:12pm
Worked for a Steel Company for 49 years started packing steel in the warehouse then went to driving for them they needed a dispatcher took and held that job till I retired in January of 2020., Son needed help with his trucking fleet now dispatch for him and restore/rebuild old International PU'S.
Mike
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:25pm
I've spent 40 years working as a cost/inventory accountant for manufacturing companies, first with Hobart Corporation, then into the steel refractory business, and now for last 20 have been with a leading manufacturer of  Biomedical test devices and Life Science biologicals used in production of medical tests, and pharmaceuticals (including lots of recent production for covid tests).
On top of that I spent 35 years part time in the fire and ems services.
My favorite job though, has been being Dad and now "Poppy" to the grandkids.   looking forward to retirement in a few years so I can make that my full time job.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:13pm
Grew up up a small beef farm, with a few rented farms always in the mix, 80-120 head, raised all of our own crops. Left school trained as a machinist, started work for Ingersoll 28 plus years ago (now Flowserve), manufacturing industrial pumps, doing layout, running engine, turret lathes, VTL, HBM’s, grinders, metallurgy,Then moved to quality using CMM’s NDT, various other computerized measuring equipment, training apprentices , helping with set ups, vendor inspections & audits, extensive pattern work, foundries, pump set ups at the plant and field installations, warranties, now they call me a senior quality engineer reviewing customer quality specifications, implementing those through the manufacturing process and maintaining our credited audits. Worked part time (about 15 years)driving a truck, distributing ice. Managed a sporting clays range on weekends for about 5 years about 20 years ago which is still a favorite hobby if I ever find any free time. Also like fooling with old cars, now an old 47’ dodge 1.5 ton truck that I want to use around the farm when it’s up to par!Live on a small place and have a few horses (not mine!), still messing with some cattle at my parents home farm and sell a little hay on the side.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm
graduated high school in '69 majoring in welding...a county trade school / high school... paid for Jr. College and helped parents pay for college by welding during the summer. Graduated college '74 with manufacturing Technology degree then worked as a quality control person in a foundry... Girl friend dumped me and lost my job so went to the seminary, the Good Lord had to hit me hard to get me there... Ordained a Catholic priest in 1980 ... serving in the south east part of Kansas with a few years in Venezuela ... Now I am going to retire July 1,. . . 41 years in the ministry. Looking forward to filling in my own calendar of events... bicycles, my WD45, Honda Rebel, and fishing.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:21pm
Dad sold the farm when I was 16
Graduated at 17 in 1985 I stayed around a couple years working on a ranch.
Moved to Carroll county Arkansas in 1988. Been here doing construction work since.
Started out at a company that traveled around the country building theme parks. Did that til 2000. Went to work for a builder and stayed there til 2005. Went to a different builder and ran his company until 2010. We shut it down due to the recession.
Went to work for HCI where I am presently. I run a crew for them.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:26pm
I retired from the Gov 12/31/2011.  Most all of my career was taking care of the computers and networks at the National Weather Service office.  I started as an Electronics Technician before computers were here, then started into computers in the 80's.  If anyone is in need, I have an original IBM DOS 1!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:57pm
Always wanted to run tractors. So I knew I wanted to farm for as long as I can remember. My dad had to drop out of his senior his year of high school as his dad bought a Cat diesel crawler. So he decided his kids where going to get some college. So I have a degree in Ag Business Management. 

In 1978 I rented my first land, had been doing about all dad farming for a year or 2. He was always more into horses and cowboying. So after 40 years the right opportunities came along he finally had 250 cows and did not have to farm.  The 80's got ruff but with dads help made it through. I spent 7 summers work for farmer that did a lot of outside grain harvesting in trade for cutting my crop. He ran mostly AC equipment where I got started run Gleaner MH 2'. Was a good learning experience seeing how other farmed. How many Gleaners got 700 to 1000 hours in a year. Start the 1st of June got early Sept. Get a few weeks off, the go anther 4 to 6 weeks of safflower.

Always had odd jobs for the landlords and neighbors. Mostly caring for walnut orchards, working cattle, and fence building and hay making. In 2000 my mother had a stork and we realized how bad my dads dementia had become.   With the help of my 3 kids all in high school or college we managed to keep dad at home 3 years. My wife helped to but was teaching school then. Finally he needed around the clock care like mom. The first day he was in the care facility was the day of the San Simon earth quake a 6 point about 5 mile west of the house. Broken glass all over the area he would been sitting if he would of been home. Always took that as sign the Lord held it off until he was not here.

Also in 98 a landlord wanted to start growing wine grapes. It has become the biggest crop in this part of the state. At the time it looked like a learning experience to maybe plant some of my own. It was the learning I expected, but decides dealing with winos was not what I really wanted. Stayed with it until the owner also was very tired of wine makers that wined about everything. They where bulldozer in spring of 19.

Have not had a grain crop since 16. Been planting 60 to 80 acres of hay running as many cows as 2000 to 3000 acres will carry. Always pushing to get a 100 cows but it never happens. We get a dry year and cut to 40 or a piece of land sells and the hunt for more grazing land starts again.

Legs and knees are hurting, hard to climb onto my old Cat tractors or up the hay stack. If only I would of had a boss to get a retirement from. It was a fun ride but never much to put away. The luck of the draw I have my mother arteritis, does that mean I don't get my dad's dementia? Or is that around the next corner? I better talk to old uncle Joe's helpers at SS and get signed up for rocken chair money before it is all gone.
Dorix View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:58pm
  WI Dept of Corrections for 18 years 4 years working in the kitchen of the state  mental hospital. Also worked various part time jobs.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

field service maintaining and repairing medical laboratory equipment for 33 years, and then field service maintaining and repairing  medical and industrial research laboratory equipment for the past 17 years.
I have worked in hospital labs, morgues,  emergency rooms, operating rooms, municipal  water and waste plants, power plants, biohazard level 2 and 3 labs, and all sorts of industrial facilities, from dog food, to gypsum, graphite, lubricants, talcum powder, large diesel engine CAT converters, etc, manufacturing. 

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:35pm
'71-'73, Hi School, Jr & Sr, grocery store evenings / weekends. Sr Yr, 1/2 days mechanics helper @ County Rd Dept. worked farms haying, shell corn, pitch
'73-'75, Tech School, farm equip Mnt & Rpr. Worked part time @ Cat Dlr. mech hlpr. 
'75 - '77, Cat Dlr Mech. least seniority and youngest put in Field Serv Trk. by them. 
'77 - '88, County Rd Dept, Mech & Wldr. 
'88 - '97, IDOT mech & Wldr. We had only portable welder in W Ia, a lot of traveling. 
'97 - '16, IDOT Area Mech & Eq Flt Mgr., moved to Sx City. 6 of us statewide responsible for mech's trng programs for 120+ mech's. Deal with contract parts n supply venders, Manage Eq repairs, Eq purchase programs. 
'77 Rented pasture from family friends when they sold their cattle, '78 rented land from Grt uncle, continued to get more pasture n crop land. '82 bought land from family friends on contract. Got up to 600+ crop acres, 200 + hay n pasture, mostly rented. '96 lost large area of pasture, sold cows. '01 gave up rented acres and rented my land to friend & his son. It's 100 miles each way from my house to farm, got to time consuming. Not bad for a kid that grew up in town, but always like farms. 
No wonder the ex- wives think I'm a bit crazy. 
Now I play in farm shop, help renters as needed, and ride my Harley. Some day may get a house at farm. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 2:55pm
Graduated from high school in 1963 wanted to be a mechanic, started working in Ford garage till the old mechanics convinced me I didn't want to put up with all the BS as a mechanic, worked in gravek pit , got CDL license and stated driving semi, strated hauling potatoes and then livestock all over the United States, hauled sheep from a mile east of California state line the Brocklyn New York and a lots of cattle into Elizabeth New Jersey 1969 joined the Ohio National guard was missing meeting because of being on the road. Bought a potato chip business, made last run in semi to Florida asnd it rained and missed another meeting because we couldn't get loaded till it was dry. Got drafted in the Army in 1967 till 1969 got out of the Army and went back to driving haule steel and machinery till 1974 quit to be home more, went to work for village Street Department, ended up being Street Commissioner till wife left and I kept my 2 boys, ended up leaving there because I would get called out in the middle of the night and couldn't leave boys at home alone. Went to work for New Holland dealer & farmer, worked as setup, repairman and helped farm, in the 70s I started running backhoe digging graves at the local cemetery that my father was Superintendent of . In 1986 he retired and Cemetery Board ask me to take over as Superintendent done that till 2007 when I retired. I was also the building inspector for the Village. I had started building my retirement home before I retired. I was working on it when my wife thought I needed a part time job because she was still working. Got a part time job at Lowes in 2008, we moved into basement in May and I have the house Lowes built because at that time anything you special ordered was 10% over Lowes cost, a year latter we moved upstairs. I worked at Lowes for 6 1/2 year the last year or so fulltime and the cement got too hard on my knees and hips so I reretired and have been enjoying retired life. I have a C, CA, unstyled WC, styled WC & WD45, also have 6 AC garden tractors that I use on our property.
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:04pm
Born and raised on a farm in Mn, moved to WY. in 1981, worked for different branches of what  became Enron for 15 years.  Moved to Guymon OK. after that,  went to work for Williams Field Service, I Wal-marted a while after that,  then went to work for Seaboard Farms.  Got tired of shift work, took a job delivering welding gas and supplies. After my wife retired from school teaching we moved to Edmond OK. where I also worked for a welding supply company making deliveries.  I retired a few years back.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by omahagreg omahagreg wrote:

Trim carpenter at a local pharmacy-we call ourselves the ‘mod squad’ as we modify homes so people can remain in them! We have a barrier free bath room under construction and a wheelchair ramp under way now!
Can you "elaborate" on the "trim carpenter/Pharmacy"  statement ??  Thanks
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 8:08pm
Thanks for the replies fellas.
@thendrix; @Darwin W. Kurtz; Thanks for the explanations men.
@shameless dude; That is a lot. Sorry to hear of your health issues but glad you ain't dead yet. I really enjoy your posts.
@DiyDave; Diesel fitter is a term I'm not familiar with. I notice the winking emoji so you should know that even though I'm fairly tall, many times jokes part my hair as they go right over my #$%^& head. LOL.
@DMiller; From your posts I gathered that you were an "old school" diesel mechanic. By "old school" I mean someone who knows 2 cycle Detroit Diesels. I've done some work to those old green monsters but by the time I started wrenching most of the experts were retired or in the ground. They do still fascinate me though. Also, is a nuclear power station different from a coal fired power station only in the heat source? Thanks.
@plummerscarin; That is a job that I could not do unless it was new construction.. I can handle cow waste, horse waste, pig waste, and chicken waste. But human waste? I almost passed out from gagging so much when I changed out the toilets in my house a few years ago. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

Thanks for the replies fellas.
@thendrix; @Darwin W. Kurtz; Thanks for the explanations men.
@shameless dude; That is a lot. Sorry to hear of your health issues but glad you ain't dead yet. I really enjoy your posts.
@DiyDave; Diesel fitter is a term I'm not familiar with. I notice the winking emoji so you should know that even though I'm fairly tall, many times jokes part my hair as they go right over my #$%^& head. LOL.
@DMiller; From your posts I gathered that you were an "old school" diesel mechanic. By "old school" I mean someone who knows 2 cycle Detroit Diesels. I've done some work to those old green monsters but by the time I started wrenching most of the experts were retired or in the ground. They do still fascinate me though. Also, is a nuclear power station different from a coal fired power station only in the heat source? Thanks.
@plummerscarin; That is a job that I could not do unless it was new construction.. I can handle cow waste, horse waste, pig waste, and chicken waste. But human waste? I almost passed out from gagging so much when I changed out the toilets in my house a few years ago. 

For those who've never heard it before, here's the script version:

Diesel Fitter

Boudreaux and Thibodeaux worked together and both were laid off, so they went to the unemployment office.

When asked his occupation, Boudreaux answered, "Panty Stitcher. I sew da elastic onto ladies' cotton panties."

The clerk looked up Panty Stitcher. Finding it classified as unskilled labor, she gave him $300 a week unemployment pay.

Thibodeaux was asked his occupation. "Diesel Fitter," he replied. Since diesel fitter was a skilled job, the clerk gave Thibodeaux $600 a week.

When Boudreaux found out he was furious. He stormed back into the office to find out why his friend and coworker was collecting double his pay.

The clerk explained, "Panty stitchers are unskilled and diesel fitters are skilled labor."

"What SKILL?" yelled Boudreaux. "I sew the elastic on da panties, Thibodeaux puts dem over his head and says: "Yeah, diesel fitter."Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:23pm
Yep
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:35pm
@DiyDave; HAHAHAHA. Thanks for the explanation. I know explaining a joke kind of ruins it but thanks.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:50pm
My paycheck comes from Kohlls Pharmacy in Omaha, I drive a company van that says Kohlls Pharmacy on the side!  They have one of the largest Home Medical Equipment showrooms in America! 15 or 20 years ago they added a remodeling division.  They installed grab bars, stair lifts-as an off shoot of selling those items.  Then they began remodeling bathrooms, widening doors, building wheelchair ramps as that was being requested! In 2014, when I was hired, they could get their projects 'almost' finished, but needed a finish carpenter to make them look good.   That is where I fit in.  Alot of our projects are paid for by the state.  I hear unless you are independently wealthy that does not work so well.  It can take as much as 6 months to get paid!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:12am
Been around auto repair all my life. Dad worked at GM assemble plant for 35 years, oldest brother had a small shop that I helped in since I was about 14.
Got a job at another shop in 1979 when I was 19 started as a tire jockey. Did that for 3 months and started wrenching. At 22 my brother in law was in the army as a Beret and stationed in Germany. My sister kept harassing to come over there and see some of the world. Gave in, sold everything and flew over there. Lived on base with them and started bagging groceries at the commissary for tips. Got pretty lucrative especially on paydays. Worked with 10 women and one old Turkish guy. Had to watch those army wives. Guys would be gone 30 days at a time on border patrol and some of the wives were like turning a penned up bird dog loose when they left.
Was there for about a year.
Got hired back at my old wrenching job and was there for 30 years. Owner sold the place along with me (had to have a certified tech on board for the deal) and worked at that for another 2 and moved to where I am now.
Been here about 10 years and will be at it for a few more.
Maybe retire at 65 if it doesn't kill me first. Can get pretty brutal on an old hide.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic