This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let’s get to figuring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let’s get to figuring
    Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:26pm
I bought a 1996 Ford 351w 5.8 EFI motor tonight. It’s a roller cam motor so good to go with modern oil. It has 66000 miles and very clean. It came from a rolled truck which I got to hear run last week.
It came with water pump, power steering pump, and alternator all on a serpentine setup. I want to use this in my 1983 carbureted truck. The alternator has a different hookup. I don’t know what it would take to make it work. I’m hoping the power steering fits my hoses.
This will be a carbureted motor. I have most parts but a distributor. I’ve been looking at HEI’s but I want a Ford duraspark I think.
I’m wondering if that alternator has a built in regulator??
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:37pm
I had a 1989 F250 with a 351W and its alternator had internal voltage regulator.. Good hard pulling motor.. Great for a truck.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:39pm
alt has builtin reg , well, I assume as it's 'new'...my 97 is 'all-in-one'.
you need the 'computer' from the 96 to power the EFI stuff....
you really need to get complete wiring schematics for BOTH trucks or be on a first name basis with the God of Fords.
color code for wiring 'should' be same but don't blame me if the red with wht stripe nin't correct !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

alt has builtin reg , well, I assume as it's 'new'...my 97 is 'all-in-one'.
you need the 'computer' from the 96 to power the EFI stuff....
you really need to get complete wiring schematics for BOTH trucks or be on a first name basis with the God of Fords.
color code for wiring 'should' be same but don't blame me if the red with wht stripe nin't correct !

It’s gonna be carbureted.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:44pm
OK, so you're using the new engine as a 'short block' then adding your old stuff to it...
I thought you were upgrading to a complete, running EFI.... engine.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:00pm
silly boy! lol
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:13pm
After some studying I think I’ve found a wiring adapter to go from the 1G to newer 3G alternator and lots of instructions on line. Gathering all the information I can before I start this project.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:32am

Hey Thad,,I think Ford started using the alternators with built in regulators in the early to mid 80's. The new er ones were ID'd by the heat sink built in on the back of alternator. The 351 Windsor is a great engine and can be "woke up" by changing the crank gear to a 3 keyway and set to the advanced notch,,,makes a different engine with more UMMmmph. Clap
 I'm not up to speed on which intake to use to replace the EFI, but I'd bet the one off your 83 will come close to workin ,,,,,Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:01am
Joe I need to check in on that 3 groove timing deal. I’ve done it on older carbed engines. Not sure if these EFI engines are retarded or not.
I bought a cast 4 barrel intake off of one of those mid 80’s 351 HO motors. I have a 4150 (looks like 2 Ford 2 barrels back to back) carb ready to set on it.
I hope to make this alternator work angsts Jeep this whole serpentine setup.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 8:28am

HMMmmm,,??  I didn't think them alternators knew which way they were turnin,,,or cared,,,,,WinkWink
 On the 2 keyway crank gear, I think they make em for just bout any epa engine as I just bought one for the Silverado 454,,, I never knew they were even available,,,!! This older Dude at the auto parts store told me there was one for most of those engines that the Mfgrs "fixed up" for polution control reasons,,!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic