This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legacy Parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legacy Parts
    Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 6:03am
Looking for the PTO drive sheave, and deck driveshaft for an early 90's Legacy. This one has a 3cyl Daihatsu diesel engine and runs very well so worth repairing. This style setup was used only on the Legacy series and the shaft is still available, but the sheave is long discontinued. The keyway is chewed out of each part. 

If someone has one of these to part out I'd entertain making purchase; otherwise I'll drop them at a friend's machine shop and he'll open up and bush the cast iron sheave, and broach a new keyway in the bushing. Will also flip the shaft and machine in a new "Woodruff" keyway.

PM me if anything is available.

Thanks,

Photo shows the breakdown and I' m needing parts referenced as #11, and 12:

A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 7:22am
Get the update kit with the new shaft. If pulley bore isnt wore take to machine shop and have a new key way cut in a 1/3 of a turn from the original. i also have added set screws to keep tight
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 7:58am
Yes, thank you. Pulley bore is destroyed and will be bushed/sleeved with new keyway machined. Updated shaft is available at great cost for what it is. Support bearings are also worn elliptical. 

Came to me with a vibration complaint.

Thanks,

Edited by Codger - 01 Aug 2024 at 7:59am
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 8:21am
Have any part numbers. Part number for update kit to.

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 8:24am
The update is a longer shaft and the axle pivot tube changes too. The tube has flanges. It is worth the update if the shaft has worn into the pivot.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 9:41am
This one fortunately has not worn that far. The bearings appear to have been replaced but a snap ring was not in place allowing the sheave to "walk" on the shaft destroying both parts.
Matt Tallant View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Tallant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 7:03pm
That’s the main reason I sold my early Legacy is because parts availability Steering sector worn out and slot of the parts were NLA
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 6:55am
Customer dropped this off as it kept breaking the belt tension springfor the PTO deck driving belts. After replacing the tensioner, spring, bushings, sleeve, and mounting hardware to build it back up and actually ascertain what was wrong, this is what I found. The video is taken is slow motion and the engine is running at high idle:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/E7a-WN1S5YY

Here is the original installation of the front sheave:

There is supposed to be a snap ring in front of the flat washer retaining the sheave to the shaft.

This is the shaft after the sheave was pried free:

This is the rear of the sheave:

Another view of the shaft damage in the keyway area:

I put the shaft and sheave through the blast cabinet prior to dropping at the machine shop yesterday afternoon but didn't photo that. That gives him something clean to work with. He is going to bore the sheave, sleeve it down and two set screws to lock the busing into place. The shaft will either have a new Woodruff key, or could be a simple straight keyway milled back into it. Hope to pick the parts up on Monday. The shaft is still available new but the sheave is long discontinued. Not been able to locate one used either as it was only used on the Legacy series. New PTO shaft support bearings have shipped so when going back together all will be in good condition for hopefully years of good service.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 5:05pm
Back together without problems. Owner picking up this evening and get to mowing.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 1:25pm
Owner has decided to retain his Sunstar. So happy with his diesel Legacy we worked with he now is going to keep this one for his son.

This is an NOS 54" deck that has never been built up but the paint was falling off of it so I blasted it clean this morning along with a couple other small items:

I'll drag a 180 grid disc on a D/A sander over the surface and repaint it. Has all new quills and bearings, along with a roller bar and rollers to be installed also; so should be just about as good as new.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 8:30am
That is going to be sweet! Would love to find a deck like that, for just about anything.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 28 minutes ago at 8:14pm
Original deck panels that cover the sheaves and belts which are getting rough on the Simplicity SunStar mower:

A few minutes later:

There is some pitting which is to be expected but no blow through at all. Panels are still good and solid. A polyester high build primer will fill these easily and be durable. I'll get these in epoxy prime coat tomorrow morning to keep the process moving along.

Got a lot to do before harvest and not a lot of time to do it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic