This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leak fixes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak fixes
    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:32am
Gents,

The steering problems on my 653 have been fixed.   Unfortunately another problem has come up.   This one likely more serious. the drive sprocket axle seal on the final drive for right and left sides are leaking.

(Looks like part numbers for the seal protector is 0237047-6 and the seal part number is 0239238-9)

To fix these It looks like I’d have to pull the final drives. Not something I’m willing to do nor do I have the money to pay someone to do it.   What, if anything can I put in there that may slow this leak down so I can at least use the dozer.   I’ve used Lucas oil leak stop with minimal success on my old Willys Jeep.   Was thinking about trying that, hapco triseal or 00 grease.   Wanted to see what you guys have tried in the past and what you think is best.

Thanks gents!!   Little Allis is turning into a money pit.   Ugh.

Edited by Bsumudd - 19 Feb 2021 at 7:36am
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 5:35pm
Farm show magazine has an ad for seal-leak, or something like that, that they all rate pretty highly, but I have no experience with it. Try it, and let us know.  Its sold by some of the Amish, in PA, IIRR...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:20pm
I’ll take a look. Thank you.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:55pm
An old dozer operator told me he used to buy STP in 5 gallon buckets. That's all he ran in his light AC dozers.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 10:55pm
Replacing that seal isn't as big a deal as you think - I replaced 3 or 4 axles on my HD4 and to do it isn't a big deal . 
 Axle is just held into bearings friction fit and can be pulled out easily , seal is no big deal if axle isn't worn if it is a speedy sleeve can be installed and a oversized seal . 
 As Sprocket is bolted to axle it can be moves aside without splitting the track .
On the back of lower case is a access plug (held in with snap ring) remove it and you have access to end of axle - If I remember right you can replace axle without opening the lower part of case as bull gear can be pried up to insert axle back into it .
 Been a few years since I got rid of that machine and don't miss it at all .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:33pm
Well that’s good to hear that it’s not as difficult as it seems.   

We will have to take a look. Thanks for the help!   
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
Just cross fingers the outboard bearing is good and has not moved in case - that gets to be a job having the case re-machined for new bearing cup holder - had to do that on both sides . 
 I broke axle and bought replacement  from outfit that had welded it up and ground to size , broke that and later found out they never heat treated after welding , so next axle that was wore I went with speedy sleeve and seal to fit , no problems after that 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:01am
That sounds painful.    My machine runs great, but I don’t know if it’s worth pouring money into it.   Problem with old stuff is when you start tearing it apart you just keep finding more and more problems.   I did that with a willys Jeep that was supposed to be some body work and a bit of engine work. 18 months later I hade completed a frame off restoration.   🤦‍♂️
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic