This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Land clearing dozer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agent008188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Land clearing dozer
    Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 8:10am
Me and my wife are looking at 40 acres that is heavily wooded
With 10 in cedar trees and brush and some hedge trees. We have
A d-19 and wd-45 but have never owned a track machine. We are
Looking at a hd-11ep and a td-15. Would either of these machine do
What we need? And are they good machines?
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 8:59am
those machines will do what you are needing. take into consideration your plans after your project is done.  will you keep the machine?  will you resell it?  are they mechanically ready to work?  both machines are old enough you cant just run into town to get parts.  if the undercarriage is worn out it could cost more than the machine is worth even if it is overwise functional.

I dont know much about a TD-15,  but the Hd11's were good machines. Like anything, maintenance and operator care play a large factor when considering value.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 03 Mar 2014 at 9:01am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 9:29am
Both machines are not easily moved unless you have a tow truck and good trailer - not something to pull behind a 1 ton. 
 Cable or hyd blades ? Bigger isn't always better - especially when it comes to machines used around own place. Do you plan on clearing a site for house and in what time frame - days or months - 
 In many cases it's cheaper to hire someone with a machine to do the job than to do it yourself. Of course you miss the fun of stuck, broken and dead machines, thrown track, oil leaks, broken hoses, running out of fuel, and the easy job it was going to be pushing over and piling a few trees and brush.
 I would say for your own use not to go bigger then a HD7 size machine - in fact a HD6 would be home use size - that or newer machine is same size. FL7, FL5 , FD5 FD7 in Fiat line 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
agent008188 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agent008188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 12:19pm
I wouldn't mind a hd-7 if it would take out brush and small
Trees. What could a hd-7 do without too much
Effort?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 1:23pm
It's not the size of the machine but on how it's operated . 
Also on the time you have to do the job - A HD41 will clear and stack about 4 acres a hour, and it might take quite a few more hours to do it with a HD6 but both will get the job done.
I have cleared a lot of areas using a HD5G as well as my FD5 . Both machines worked better than the D6 I use to own . 
 Cedar trees have a top root spread and can be removed easy compared to other trees 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agent008188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 2:55pm
How does this one seem? Is a baker blade
Aftermarket?   http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/4343633361.html
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 3:57pm
Very pretty tractor, I would not want to take that one in the woods though, more for tractor shows than for use.

A HD6G or a FL Series Fiat/Allis like a 175 would be a better choice for that kind of money. Dozer is fine for pushing, cannot lift anything nor get leverage to push over trees all that well, that is why I chose a loader tractor.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 5:26pm
I had the neighbor here last fall with his Case wheel loader and backhoe and he can take a 2 foot mulberry tree (30 feet tall) out in about 3 minutes and push it on a pile. He has good hydraulics and knows how to use em. No dozer required. Then the roots are gone with it and the hole is easily covered.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agent008188 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:44am
I found a 125e international track loader with 3200 hours and 70%
Undercarriage. Anyone know of these machines? Are they good?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 10:14am
Dad bought an HD11EP and has been very happy with it. Never having owned a tracked machine before we thought it was too big at first but it really has worked well for us. It was a learning experience when he first got it but after a little seat time Dad has gotten to be pretty fair at using it. As far as pushing over big trees you just take the blade and cut the roots and then push a pile of dirt up on one side and drive up the pile and push the tree down. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 5:44pm
Seeing as we're on the A-C forum here I'll vote HD11EP.  Lots of folks here who can help you out with your problems if you are OK with getting your hands dirty.  Great sized farm machine.  

Edited by Lazyts - 04 Mar 2014 at 10:35pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:53pm
My present and personal owned track loader is the IH 250-c series II  that I used to clear our farm with when we bought it.--- has 4-in-1 loader bucket on it and they will reach right at 20 feet in the air. Hedge trees go down like weeds without any time wasted on backing up to get another bite.---just drop bucket and drive.
Had it hauled to tractor show last fall and the low-boy driver said it was an interesting 58 mile trip!---gave his truck a little workout, but guess we all had fun time doing it!
When working trees and brush you dont want to waste time with baby track machines/
.--another option would be a medium sized Hy-hoe and an operator who knows how to run one. 
An HD- 16 would be my third choice.---HD-11 is pretty small. thanks; ac fleet
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:47pm
I used an hd5 for several years clearing trees from old livestock yards, and fence lines. it was slow going and once ran the track off! after I got done with that I sold the machine so someone else could get good use out of it! I should have kept it, but transporting it was a problem, I didn't have anything at that time to haul it...anyways, I needed to clear a bunch more trees and brush thru the years after, and decided a backhoe/loader combo would best fit my needs....and it does! bought a backhoe/loader and have used it for a lot more things that I could have used the dozer for! I cleaned out about 500 trees in my spare time last year, have about 1500 more to go, trees I let grow in set aside acres for 20 sum years, but they are big enough now for good firewood! I just dig down becide the trees on each side cutting the roots and then push them over revealing the tap root, and that's an easy cut with the backhoe! had to dig a new sewer line and hole for tank, that would have cost me $5000 or so if hired done! that alone paid for my backhoe/loader! have used it for many other things too that a dozer wouldn't have done! I have the extend-a-hoe that really ads to the jobs it does! I think every farmer should have a backhoe/loader on their place! i'll be using it this year to dig a pit in my shop! plus all the trees i'll be digging out!
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:21am
Ill agree with Shameless if you are going to remove trees an excavator/backhoe is the way to go. We have an hd6 and we don't even use it to clear trees. We bought a komatsu excavator and man you can take out alot of trees in a little bit of time. Plus you can use it for so many other things.
Richard View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 10:21pm
I ran a TD15 one summer years ago plowing telephone cable.  It had a 4' plow and the tractor didn't lack for power.  Never had any problems with it.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 10:48am
Each machine has it's uses and its limits , have used TLB for clearing work  as well as excavator , and dozer and track loader . each has some advantages and drawbacks . 
 Excavator works great along with dozer to clear the downed trees and smooth area after . 
 If a person was to have one machine - looking forward to other uses past today would be another way to decide . Seeing on I still own 3 of the 4 choices I use each for the job at hand . A TLB is easy to transport short distances on and off road where a track vehicle has limits .  
floridalandclearing View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridalandclearing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:57am
Florida Land Clearing handles all types of land clearing projects and specializes in underbrush clearing utilizing forestry mulchers.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 7:49pm
What series is the 15?  The 150 can be distinguished by the  extra water tank on the rear of the hood, they could still have head trouble and they were usually painted red. The 151 was a great machine, two different engines available, neither was direct start and they had a distributer instead magneto. Like the later TD18s pinion bearing could be a problem. The 15 was a light powerful tractor  and one of the first IHs that had a Johnson bar,  fuel consumption was a bit high, they were made to compete with the early 11 and the D6B, they would whoop up on a 3T and 4T D7 but not the 17A.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic