This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lambing has started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lambing has started
    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 7:00pm
4 sets of twins in 24 hours, but only 2 females.
I will be keeping the first 50 twin/triplet born females lambs.
Have 50+ that look like they could lamb any day and 50+ more that are right behind them.
Lambing Days on the Farm starts this coming Sat. The weather looks good and I may have more people that I want to put up with, but at $5 per person, I will not turn them away.
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:18pm
Where are you located at?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:48pm
Do you sheer your ewes at lambing time. When I had the fuel business most guys sheered just before lambing. They were lambing in barns. They claimed that sheering them kept them in the barn, as a result they didn't have lambs freezing n a snowbank. Good luck with your lambing.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 16 Feb 2020 at 11:48pm
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 12:05am
We need pictures.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 3:21am
I remember those days/nights! remember bringing the little ones into the basement for warmth and bottle feeding! I was pretty young then, but loved it! hope you have a great crop of them critters!
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:44am
We started about 3 weeks ago on the little farm, so did grandpa on the big farm. We have had two sets of twin ewe lambs and two single ram lambs. Grandpa had 11 lams from 3 ewes last week. One was a set of five from one ewe, and they all survived! I will have to get pictures figured out and share some of our Dorper/katadin cross lambs. Cute little suckers. My girlfriend sat on a bucket in the pin with them for 30 minutes Saturday
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:48am
question.. are twins really common ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:55am
Somerset KY.
I sheared my ewes the first part of Jan.
Not to make them stay in the barn, they are lockout now, temp this AM was 29.
Some of them have wool 7"-8" long at shearing.
My flock is manage so that 85% lamb during the day. I do not go to the barn at night.
I do not raise any as bottle babies. If the ewe can not take care of the lambs, she is culled and the lamb is sold to the first person that walks into the barn.
No lambs this AM, they are waiting for it to start raining.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:56am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Yes twins with sheep twins should be common. Usually we only keep ewe lambs from sets of twins, triples, ect. The chances they will have twins or triples themselves is higher. Over time you will build a strong flock. With triplets or more it is common to supplement the mothers milk with formula.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 6:58am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

My lambing % runs 180%-185% most years.
All my ewes are twin/triplet born and about 10% of them will have triplets.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 7:00am
Originally posted by cabinhollow cabinhollow wrote:

Somerset KY.
I sheared my ewes the first part of Jan.
Not to make them stay in the barn, they are lockout now, temp this AM was 29.
Some of them have wool 7"-8" long at shearing.
My flock is manage so that 85% lamb during the day. I do not go to the barn at night.
I do not raise any as bottle babies. If the ewe can not take care of the lambs, she is culled and the lamb is sold to the first person that walks into the barn.
No lambs this AM, they are waiting for it to start raining.

We follow the same philosophy when it comes to ewes with twins, if she wont take care of the lambs its time for her to go. With everyone having fulltime day jobs we cant be bottle feeding twins. Triples or quads maybe but not for twins
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:09pm
We are developing such a problem with eagles around here,, 2 kids disappeared and pretty sure it was an eagle , a few days later one flew over about 30 foot off the ground, first time I ve seen one around that close

Edited by DougG - 18 Feb 2020 at 7:10pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:36pm
I know nothing about sheep/lambs, but is this the only time of year that they "pop" little ones out? Is there more money in the wool or the meat? There are maybe 3 guys within 80 miles that raise sheep, and they probably only have 10-15 ewes. Thanks
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:41pm
hi all when i left school i worked on a farm we use to per lamb shear all the ewe 1 it would stop them from getting cast .2 when it got cold the sheep would head for shelter and take the lambs with them. all the stock were outside all year round and we lambed about 1100 .now days the wool is hardly worth takeing off the sheep lamb meat is about $7.00 kg nzd which is still good money 
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 5:43am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I know nothing about sheep/lambs, but is this the only time of year that they "pop" little ones out? Is there more money in the wool or the meat? There are maybe 3 guys within 80 miles that raise sheep, and they probably only have 10-15 ewes. Thanks

Wool is barely worth what it costs to pay someone to shear them. Around here there are two types of sheep owners: Show animals and "commercial" meat production. We are one of the few doing it for meat in the area. We have started going toward breeds that dont need sheared like dorpers that shed their wool and Katadin that are hair sheep. Grandpa is still running sheep that need sheared though and we pay a guy to shear and we catch them as they come out of his trailer to trim hooves. One of my least favorite jobs because you get covered in lanolin and its always hot and humid. We have them lamb in the winter while they are inside that way by spring the ewes can go back to pasture and the weaned lambs are fattened to sell.

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 19 Feb 2020 at 5:45am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:58am
My sheep have long,fine,color wool.
The top fleeces sell for $100 each, with most selling for $40-$50 each.
On a animal unit bases, $1500+ gross per year is possible.
USDA packaged, from the farm lamb, is selling for app $10-$15/lbs here.
Some breeds of sheep will breed/lamb just about anytime of the year.
Most are seasonal breeds, breed in the fall, lamb Jan to April.
6 new lambs this AM. Up to 24 lambs from 14 ewes at this time. 171%
Have not had any triples yet. 
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:00am
SILENCE!!!

(...well, y'all ARE talking "lambs," so.... )
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 3:29pm
Had time to take some pictures.
Lambs

more lambs

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

SILENCE!!!

(...well, y'all ARE talking "lambs," so.... )

That was/is an AWESOME movie!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:40pm
Is the gestation period of sheep similar to hogs ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Is the gestation period of sheep similar to hogs ?

145-147 days for most.
Some breeds can go as short as 137 days and some as long as 154 days.
If a lamb is over 4 days preemie it will not survive.
I mark down 140 days after I put the rams in and 150 days after I take them out.
This year my first lamb was at 144 days.
8-15 days after they can start, is when I have the largest number born.
The most I have had in one day is 18, but from the looks of the ewes now, they are going to top that one day total, the first of the week.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:18pm
That is one proud looking mommy. Her name is Mary, and she just had two little lambs. Ahhhhhh! Thank you for the pictures! Thank you to all of the livestock folks.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:46pm
I remember two of my older brothers working for a guy that raised sheep.  Woulda been around 1960.  They complained constantly about how stinky those damn sheep were.  I never worked for the guy so I was happy!  I don't know if they still are stinky, I don't care if they are, as long as I can keep having lamb chops I'll be happy!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 7:59am
No lambs in the last 36 hours. The rams work 6 days, then took a day off.
19 ewes 32 lambs = 168% Have not loss one yet.
13 twins, 6 singles.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:08pm
Just the way you worded that, "the rams work 6 days, then took a day off". Is that because you pulled them out or do they know something we missed? There is a breed of bull that doesn't do much in the daylight hours. They do their loving at night when it is cooler. Conserve energy. Cute little buggers them lambs is.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 6:19pm
That just the way it works with the rams when they start.
Has more to do with how the ewes cycle.
Some rams are more night time workers, some will go all day and night ans some will not breed if anyone is around.
29 people, including kids showed up this weekend. I did not have time to get more pictures, I'll take some in the next day or so.
Looking at rain for the next three days, they have been waiting until then to lamb.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 12:14am
If you put the rams out with the ewes in the weekend and take them out during the week the ewes only lamb in the weekend it works in the Southern Hemisphere (not)
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Kiwi Kiwi wrote:

If you put the rams out with the ewes in the weekend and take them out during the week the ewes only lamb in the weekend it works in the Southern Hemisphere (not)

Kiwi,
Here we have farmers doing something like that.
They decide what week they want to lamb, then count back 145 days.
They then use the estrus inserts on the ewes, based on that date.
The rams are left in for 7 days and at 6-8 weeks the ewes are check to see if they were breed. The ones not, are sold at that time.
They are getting a 9-10 day lambing season per group of ewes and may have a group of ewes lambing each month.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:34am
This is the same kind of system we use in the hog gestation barns, I always thought it would be neat to try to apply it to sheep. The only thing i would be worried about it is for sows we could get litters 3 times in two years, I think that would be too hard on ewes. Maybe make it so you have 12 groups one for each month, or 6 groups for once every two so the last group is weaned before next group lambs in theory. This would take a lot more management to pull off. Probably not something i could pull off on my own while working full time as engineer. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:41am
2 lambing in one year can be done, but it is hard on the ewes.
3 lambing in two years works better and the ewes do ok.
When we had hogs, the sows had 5 litters in 2 years. Late 60's to early 80's, 100+ sows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic