This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L3 header raises very slowly? update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L3 header raises very slowly? update
    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
Got the bean machine out and the header wagon and I noticed when I was hooking up to the header the throat was moving very slowly. After I got the header on it would lower as it should but it would take 15 seconds to raise the head. It moves so slowly you can barely see it move. any help would be appreciated. All other hydraulics seem fine, steering unloading auger.
Leon B Mo

Edited by Leon B MO - 15 Oct 2020 at 1:34pm
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm
This is probably an 1980 or newer model with the samdwiched sections valve stack ??  The header valve section has an Oring that blows on the seat inside that causes that. Been 20 yrs since I've fixed one. less than a dollar for parts, but you gotta know which one it is and either drain the hyd oil or deal with it in chassis. A good AGCO dealer/partsman knows which one it is.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:34pm
Remove the rate of raise assembly with header on ground. On opposite end of valve block, remove plug opposite valve you took out. With pick or wire, go through hole through valve and push the small seat out and replace oring. Rate of lower is usually the one that fails .          MACK
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
I would check on the electrical part of it first. Be sure that you're getting a good solid 12 volts to the raise coil. Maybe the coil is not grounding properly. You might also switch the raise and lower coils to see if that changes anything. Mouse damage could have a wire that is trying to work with just a couple of strands of wire left and giving a very weak signal to the coil.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:21pm
Thanks guys. Yes it is an 85/86 model, sn 30,xxx. I'll look at my parts book tomorrow to see if can find the right valve and coil.
Leon B

Edited by Leon B MO - 09 Oct 2020 at 8:25pm
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm
Dr is correct probably - but , Doc. , in 20 years the price of that 71321101 oring has gone up a tad.   There is a seat under the rate of raise poppet that has the above oring (tiny)
to hold it in place. When the oring is gone the poppet moves with the seat thus blocking the center hole from oil flow.  To replace this one has to remove the rate of raise assembly, reach in with a pic or we use a special surgical forceps that we ruff up the out side and spread the jaws when inserted into the center hole and pull the seat.
We then clean with brake cleaner , dry and apply green Loctite and re insert the seat and bottom it by driving in with the poppet - then let it set.   Having said all this , a worn pump belt or a failed relief valve or worn pump are the other options.   
 The main symptom of the moving poppet seat is that about one time out of 10 it will raise normally.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:14pm
Are you sure it had plenty of fluid? As stupid as it sounds, try to use another hydraulic function while holding the button up and see what happens. I chased and chased what ended up being a bad ground that showed up all sorts of weird ways. Try turning the auto height control off and on also. The raise and lower header valves are the front pair. First one by itself is the master. Lower is closer to you and raise is close to the machine. Good luck!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:54am
Late L-2 and all L-3's have a different hydraulic valve arrangement than the one you are describing.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:27pm
I got the orifice out of the valve part number 71320199 but there was no o-ring on that orifice which would be part number 71321101. in my parts book it shows an o-ring that I did not see or understand where it belongs, part number 70923845. after reinstalling an o-ring on the orifice that I got at the hardware store it looked to be a very close match for now but it did not change the speed of how fast the head goes up even after adjusting the rate of speed. I will get the correct o-ring for the orifice but I'm still wondering if I'm on the right path.
Thanks
Leon B Mo
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 1:45pm
that oring 71321101 is what holds the seat in - I have never seen that oring in any parts place or kit.  Also it must go in with chamfer to the poppet.  the very difficult oring that goes around the poppet in the bore has been changed to a flat oring. 71367795 - this prevents pollet from sticking.  Since your oring is missing - it is in an orfice someplace - this could be slowing down the flow as well..  71361305 is the .028 orfice and 71361308 is the .031 orfice.  Pull them out and flush - ez to do if you have the valve off. Might try leaving the spring out as well and also the 71184418 .040 orfice in   the raise  NC poppet seat. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
thanks to you tbran. Tomorrow I'm ging to run a hot wire to coil to verify i have a good power source to the coil. If that checks out ok I'll try you suggestions. I do know now that I had mice in the machine since last fall. I found a nest in the cab fan. Could the coil be "partially" engaging?
Thanks again
Leon B Mo
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 7:31pm
I have learned that anythings possible..  You will need a 12v wire to the raise coil and the master as well as a complete check along with pulling off the lower solenoid wire - if a mouse was creative the two could be shorted together.  touch the master by its self first - you should hear the motor lug down and the hose stiffen... if it doesn't the relief valve could be leaking.   We also once found a metal line to the cylinders crushed as well.  All header valves are interchangable as a swap out test as well.   FLM 3 's and N/R use same valve..  happy hunting...
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 11:16am
Been 40 + years but MH 2 did the same thing.  As I remember the spring broke and the ball could not move. I believe it was put back with a new o ring and no spring. Took longer to clean the block off than pull plug and fish the broken spring out and put the ball back in. But I remember mechanic testing for voltage at block and also the magnet before looking inside.

OOPS it was not dropping, because with rocks and stuff would of been dangerous to not have up. And boss was all for running it. Just stop and let it drop very slowly. What a long day it was though. At least it was barley that was cut at 12 to 18 inches high. 

Edited by Ray54 - 12 Oct 2020 at 11:24am
ACD19farmboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACD19farmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:14am
I got on the site for my yearly L3 issues and questions and seen this subject. (Seems the only time i have to come on here aymore) Thought Id jump in here and ask some opinions on my L3. Mack and DrAllis have always been such great help over the years and i thank you fells so much for that, you guys kept me from pulling my hair out so much!
I have only shelled corn with my L3 one time 2 years ago and it went pretty well, the corn was averaging pretty bad yield with small ears. This year I have quite a lot of corn out and the combine preformed well on the edges where the corn did not do so well up against the tree lines. But now that I am out in the middle of the field its yielding very well. My problem is that Im having excessive clean grain in my tailings elevator, enough to actually slug it where the auger meets the paddles. Wile shelling I look over to tailings view hole and its nothing but solid gold. I feel that i should have already had that corn in the clean grain elevator and on its way to the tank? I have the combine in the lowest speed and hydrostat ranging from 3/4 to full speed in that gear. The hopper sample is clean and Im having very little blow out the back, so i feel like everything is set pretty well?  What are some thoughts and opnions on it? I have little experience in corn! Thanks again eveyone.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:04pm
LOWER SIEVE NEEDS TO BE OPENED UP A LOT MORE.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACD19farmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 2:09pm
I felt that the sives could be a problem but i had it set to what the book said. I will try opening it up more. How much on average should be coming up the tailings elevator? Thanks   
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:15pm
In the L3 I'm running the tailings have tiny bit of faughter and the broken tops of a few cobs. It takes several seconds to get a handfull.  In 200 bu corn, if  I run over 2.7-2.9 mph or on a side slope I do get carry over in the tailings. So I just don't push it that hard. Tank sample is always clean. I do enjoy the sound of the cylinder growling under the seat. 180-200 bu corn in the hills around here sure is fun to shell.
Leon B MO
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 9:07pm
I've had the piece of sheet metal between the bottom of the shoe and the bottom sieve break. It's supposed to carry the good grain that falls through up to the clean grain auger but if it sags or breaks it dumps a lot in the return. Had that happen picking corn also.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 9:43pm
we HAD A LONG SHOE L2 for years. With a 6 row head and 160 bu/a we could overload the shoe even with the Corn Chaffer. (1 5/8" spacing long finger)  . We could judge the capacity by watching the tailings.  The sieve should be about 1/2 " or more - do the cleaning with the chaffer - and yes on a slope the gold in the return was the gauge for speed.  We always used a 25 tooth speed up sprocket for the thresher beater and make sure the metal curtain over the raddle is raised or removed for everything 'cept wheat.  At night the walkers would be a limiting factor in loss as well when the dew falls.\. any progress on header raise -  
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:42am
We decided to remove the valve from the valve stack. disassembled it on the workbench, we have new o-rings coming from agco. My ace mechanic is wondering how the heck anyone could remove and reinstall that o-ring while on machine. Also there are 2 different o-rings available, one for welded sleeve one for threaded sleeve. My sleeve screws in and mechanic says he's not aware of a different type. I ordered both o-rings and every other one for a rebiuld. May be here today.
Leon B Mo
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:28pm
Please keep us posted Wink
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:39pm
the sleeves refer to the spool the solenoid fits around - some would unscrew others were welded.   All screw in the block -- make sure to strip the block down and blow out orifices.
ALSO look at the aluminum plug in the side - use a #10 screw to pull it out and replace oring.  
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 5:44am
O-rings came in yesterday afternoon so I put them in , reinstalled valve, no change. I ordered both o-ring for welded or threaded. The one for threaded did not come in. Not knowing for sure which one I needed I used the welded sleeve o-ring but the poppet did go in with some resistance so I felt it ok to proceed. I did not check the .031 orfice or remove plug on the side. I've got to get by with it until a rain day. Thanks.
Leon B Mo

Edited by Leon B MO - 15 Oct 2020 at 6:01am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACD19farmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 10:17am
Thank you for your responses and input i opened the lower sive and it helped a tremendous amount. When the corn gets thick it still loads up some. But from the way it sound this is normal. Whats your alls input on putting 14-16% corn in a bin with no fan? It would only be until i can get it to town to sell. There is currently no power where the bin is so air is not an option for me currently. Someone once said it holds better cold? Again super un experienced with corn. The next 3 nights are supped to be in the 30s here with slight chances of rain Sunday thought about shelling at night to get it cold. Would like to get done with corn before this rain his and be started back on beans! Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Corn settings for an "L" series.  A corn chaffer (top sieve) is a MUST !!!  This has 1 5/8" long fingers for the higher yielding corn crop. I prefer the square tip myself, but I think there are more round end styles in use. These are shown in your owners manual. I always modify my corn chaffers to allow the front 8 rows to be on their own control lever and the remaining rows all the way back are then all together. I don't use the adjustable rear section in corn. I open the lower sieve pretty much wide open to start with and do all the cleaning with the chaffer, operating the front 8 rows up to 1/4" wider than the remaining rows. Sometimes they are equal in opening, but generally the front will be wider to have good capacity and still get an acceptable bin sample.  Any time that combine leans left or right, your cleaning shoe capacity is less and less. So, this means you may have to slow down or make adjustments for the side slopes. An overloaded cleaning shoe always shows excessive clean grain in the tailings elevator.  Changing cylinder bar "V" direction can help with side slope harvesting. The Air-Flow grain saver does too.  Always tie up the metal curtain above the separator raddle for corn and soybeans or simply remove it altogether.  I have made deflectors for that area to help direct material more to the center to also help with sidehill capacity in corn.  The moisture level of corn you are talking about, I would expect 4-hoppers harvested and dumped in 60 minutes or less with wagons placed properly. Unload on-the-go helps even more with BPH.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:37pm
we found a salvage f3 nearby. I went and got the valve to raise the header and installed it on my L3. we used his coils. we put oil in it fired the machine up and it works perfectly. I don't know what I'm missing in the original valve but the mechanic is going to take it and try to figure out where I went wrong. anyway thanks for all the input and help from everyone.
Leon B Mo
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Leon B MO Leon B MO wrote:

we found a salvage f3 nearby. I went and got the valve to raise the header and installed it on my L3. we used his coils. we put oil in it fired the machine up and it works perfectly. I don't know what I'm missing in the original valve but the mechanic is going to take it and try to figure out where I went wrong. anyway thanks for all the input and help from everyone.
Leon B Mo
Any updates on this? 
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:30am
We finished up harvest with thr valve from the F3. The mechanic hasn't disassembled the original valve. I plan to leave it the eay it is, working fine.
Leon B Mo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic